North Koreans To Open Restaurant

actiondell4

Unless I have missed it,I cannot see anything about the new North Korean restaurant opening up here in Pattaya.

The restaurant unusually is being staffed by North Korean waitresses,not sure how they would get work permits.

I do have the link but I doubt i am allowed to put a link here

. According to the article,the North Korean Govt makes a profit of over 300k a year from its many restaurants in Bangkok,Cambodia and Vietnam.

Most of the customers are or rather were ,South Korean tourists to its 2 restaurants in Cambodia,but it seems a boycott from the south korean tourists groups has led to one closure.

Edited by actiondell4

I am a little surprised about your post as I had read that North Korea closed their restaurants in Cambodia.

Here is some info from 2008. Is it still there? If so, it's located out of town. Where? It seems dancing is the feature.

Personally, I wouldn't like to support that government. Also, I read reviews of the defunct Cambodian places saying their food wasn't that great either. There are lots of very good Korean restaurants in town which aren't funneling the money to North Korea.

Pyongyang Daesong Restaurant: Try North Korean food

North Korean restaurants are not the most common thing to see. So when I heard there was one in Pattaya, I just had to go there.Just 15 minutes away from the neon lights of South Pattaya, the contrast becomes huge when entering this 'communist style' restaurant, owned by the Daesong Group; a state-owned trading corporation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.At the entrance you are greeted by North Korean girls wearing traditional Korean dresses. Inside there is one really large room with a stage in one end of it. Ordering food can be a bit tricky as the menu doesn't really explain what the food contains. However, there are photos of the food and the friendly staff might be able to explain it. I got my food after about 20 minutes and it tasted delicious.At 8 o'clock the girls went up on stage starting singing, dancing and playing musical instruments. They were really good at it an it was a very enjoyable show.If you want to try something different when you are in Pattaya I can really recommend this place. I ordered kimchi and a cold noodle soup with beef. It tasted delicious.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand/Central_Eastern_Thailand/Pattaya-1449746/Restaurants-Pattaya-MISC-BR-3.html Edited by Jingthing

Wiki says the chain serves dog meat soup! Woof. But Wiki is clearly outdated in their listings of locations. They also say the money dies directly to the pudgy darling.

Here is a link about their recent closings.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/opinion/north-koreas-restaurants-abroad-fall-victim-to-the-global-financial-crisis/311799

So, is there one in Pattaya or not, and if so, where?

Edited by Jingthing

Evil dictator?

He was voted in with 100% of the votes and he's the best golf player in the world.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2004/ea_nkorea_06_16.html

OK, you got me. I changed it to pudgy darling.

I don't see any mention of Pyongyang Daesong Restaurant pattaya search on google after 2008, so I wonder if this really exists here anymore, as they have been closing them.

Edited by Jingthing

Just out of interest what's the national dish of north korea? Would it be differant from the south

DOG is one of their dishes. With all the stray dogs roaming around in BKK and Pattaya, it would be cheap and available meat. Put a spicy sauce or kempshi on it and everyone would love it.

Evil dictator?

He was voted in with 100% of the votes and he's the best golf player in the world.

http://www.worldtrib...orea_06_16.html

OK, you got me. I changed it to pudgy darling.

I don't see any mention of Pyongyang Daesong Restaurant pattaya search on google after 2008, so I wonder if this really exists here anymore, as they have been closing them.

I went to the one in Nahklua a couple of years ago but it's now closed. I was told that they'd relocated to Bangkok but I've no idea where.

• 8 months later...

Just out of interest what's the national dish of north korea? Would it be differant from the south

Dunno, but when I was in Korea I was treated to the smell of Kimshi. Smelled like something out of an adult's diaper

You should have asked for Kimchi, not Kimshi. Kimshi is Korean for Santorum (google it).

post-37101-0-65260900-1317581544_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

DOG is one of their dishes. With all the stray dogs roaming around in BKK and Pattaya, it would be cheap and available meat. Put a spicy sauce or kempshi on it and everyone would love it.

Dog is common to both North and South though many South Koreans would never eat it.

In Korean it is called BoShinTang.