Interested In Non-Immigrant Visa + 12-Month Extension

I currently have ED visa but am thinking of switching to a non-immigrant Visa as I live with and support my 11-year old Thai son. I read this:

---------------

12 month extension to a non-immigrant visa:

If you are holding a non-immigrant visa, you have the option of extending this by 12 months based on either retirement (50 years old or over) or support to a Thai citizen, work, education and such. This may only be accomplished at an immigration office inside the Kingdom and certain criteria have to be met. Such extensions consist of a stamp in your passport detailing “issue date” and “permitted to stay until” date.

---------------

Does that mean if you get the 12-month extension you don't need to leave Thailand every 3 months? Its such a PITA having to exit every 3 months, especially as I don't have anyone else to take care of my son.

Also, what evidence is required to show I am supporting my son? How much in bank account etc? (I'm sure this info is posted somewhere but I can't find it as yet)

Finally, I have to leave Thailand to switch from ED to Non-immigrant Visa?

cheers,

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

For a non-O visa the birth certificate will be enough. But for an extension of stay based on your son, you will need to be the legal father. If you were not married to the mother and did not legalize your child, you are legally not the fahter of the child and will not get an extension of stay from immigration.

For a non-O visa the birth certificate will be enough. But for an extension of stay based on your son, you will need to be the legal father. If you were not married to the mother and did not legalize your child, you are legally not the fahter of the child and will not get an extension of stay from immigration.

Yes I am the legal father and the child is legal.

So is that all that is required so I don't have to leave Thailand every 3 months? Legal fatherhood + 400K in bank account somewhere? If so, excellent .......

Oh, and most important question for me at the moment - the change from Ed Visa to Family Visa - do I have to leave the country to do that?

Edited by pete66

Yes I am the legal father and the child is legal.

So is that all that is required so I don't have to leave Thailand every 3 months? Legal fatherhood + 400K in bank account somewhere? If so, excellent .......

Oh, and most important question for me at the moment - the change from Ed Visa to Family Visa - do I have to leave the country to do that?

Just to repeat my final question ..... I am currently on ED Visa - would I have to leave Thailand to apply for a "family" visa? Or can it done at Caeng Wattana? (This is very important for me as I am currently taking care of my son here alone)

many thanks,

Edited by pete66

You want to obtain a one year extension of stay - not a visa. Normally this only requires that you be on a non immigrant visa entry but not sure if direct path open on ED entry. I would check with the immigration office serving your location.

You want to obtain a one year extension of stay - not a visa. Normally this only requires that you be on a non immigrant visa entry but not sure if direct path open on ED entry. I would check with the immigration office serving your location.

Many thanks. I'll research on my next Caeng Wattana trip