Khao Sok.......... Best Place I Have Ever Been Too.

WebBangkok

Hi All,

I don't post here much, but thought I need to after coming back from a great Holiday in Khao Sok. I have been here for 2 years and have been travelling around Thailand a fair bit in that time, Was told by a friend to try out Khao Sok as its not really well known touristy place yet and its great.

I honestly at first did not expect much of the place, but its great. Went on a jungle survival tour were your taught how to survive and what not, sleept in the rainforest etc. Got to say this place blows Chiang Mai away to pieces when it comes to trekking. I dont remember seeing many animals in Chiang Mai, but Khao Sok there is loads of them, everywhere.

Did come night canoeing, rubber tubing and had an absolute ball. I just dont know how his place can be kept so quiet as its the best place I have been too.

Anyone else been? The resort I stayed at "Our Jungle House" was awesome too, great food and the service was great too. Not sure if I would get banned posting the link to there site lol.

But hey, I really really recommend you see Khao Sok, its a great place.

Anyone else been?

I did a 3d / 2n kayak trip there in 2009, staying in the floating raft houses. It was amazing and is now my favourite place in SE Asia...at least!

It was magical, with the scenery, wildlife and peacefulness. I aim to go back and do some more trekking there - what you did sounds good.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to a few places in Thailand and Khao Sok is the best place by far.

I stayed at the same resort khaosokaccommodation.com

The owners are really into eco tourism in Thailand and they should be praised for there efforts. I just hope it does not get to developed.

The wildlife is amazing for Thailand, really did not expect to see so much.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!

The owners are really into eco tourism in Thailand and they should be praised for there efforts. I just hope it does not get to developed.

Yes, and a very nice golfcourse aswell !

Now I'm busy with the high season, but I dream to go for a few days to Khao Sok, a beautiful and relaxing place, a real battlefield for my macro pics and to enjoy treks and relaxing, lazy tubing.

:wub:

Edited by angiud

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions on the best time of year to visit? I've been meaning to go for years but haven't yet gotten around to it. From websites I've looked at, it seems that it's wise to avoid January-April, as there may not be enough water in the river for floating, etc. But other than that, any particular time that is best?

I guess specifically, I'm wondering about May & June. Thanks!

I've been twice in September and October, plenty of water and fairly good weather

Thanks, good to know! I don't think Sept-Oct will be an option for me because of work, but I'll keep it in mind. Anyone been in May or June?

I was there in June last year and was lucky with the weather, but if if rains I think it would still be a great experience but I think the cobras are a little omre active at that time which could make it a bit more exciting.

I stayed at Las Orquides which their website is khao-sok-resort.com last year. The owners are french and really look after you.

Khao Sok is great and would be a pitty if they over develop it. I think its perfect now, probably the best place to trek in Thailand.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much Sir,

I read before this and stayed at this place for holiday in Khao Sok. It is a beautiful place. Farang owner was a very nice man too.

I join just to say thank you as me and my friends had a very fun time in Khao Sok. I am Thai and didnt know this place so beautiful is in Thailand

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, if somebody is a 'newbie' or English is not his first language, you don't trust him.:blink:

Actually you're right. Khao Sok is a sh hole full of mosquitoes, dry, barren, hot and dusty. :ermm:

Sorry, thought my point was clear, with a number of people, all new, all with the same standard of English, I suspect that it is in fact one person using different names in order to promote something.

Some of my best friends are newbies who do not have English as a first language.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Leaving today for Khao Sok! I hope the weather will be clement.

Just don't know which resort, maybe Our Jungle House, a bit expensive (1800! no aircon no hot water :unsure:) and they want to charge extra for our son. Grrrr

Last time I was at Morning Mist, lovely and cheaper, but not the best location.

I hope a lot of bugs 55555555555555 :lol:

Leaving today for Khao Sok! I hope the weather will be clement.

Just don't know which resort, maybe Our Jungle House, a bit expensive (1800! no aircon no hot water :unsure:) and they want to charge extra for our son. Grrrr

Last time I was at Morning Mist, lovely and cheaper, but not the best location.

I hope a lot of bugs 55555555555555 :lol:

1800 this time of year? Extra for the boy? Huh? What is that the Khao Sok Marriott?

Post trip report would be much appreciated anguid, it does seem like a worthwhile adventure.

Okay I am sold on Khao Sok, but confess to being a bit cynical about a thread containing a high percentage of newbies all with the same imperfect command of English.

Especially when they all claim that it is THE BEST place that they have ever been. <_<

Come back today from a 5 days in Khao Sok. Now I'm tired but i promise a more detailed report tomorrow. Just I had fun, beautiful, no rain for 6 days :blink:, trekking, pictures, good thai food, nice relaxing tubing, big wet bungalow on the river bank for 1000/day. Morning Mist resort always has a beautiful big garden full of every kind of tropical flowers and fruits.

And in november/February again,in search for a blooming Rafflesia!!

181px-Rafflesia_kerrii_Khao_Sok.jpg

I was just there on July 1. We arrived around 11:00 AM, stayed the night in a bamboo hut on the water, and left the next day at 11:00 AM. We had a wonderful time. It did rain hard for a short time even getting our beds wet, but the rain wasn't too bad. It did delay our going to dinner for about an hour.

There were 5 of us - 2 adults and 3 kids ages 10, 8 and 5. We paid 1200 per person which included a jungle walking tour and cave exploration, 3 meals (lunch, dinner and breakfast), and boat rides to and from the hut. While on the boat both going and coming to the hut, our guide took us to see various parts of the lake.

Next time we will upgrade from the hut to an enclosed floating bungalow with fan and electric outlets. My wife and I enjoyed the hut which was next to other Thai tourists. The floating bungalows were almost all empty. But the kids are squeamish and didn't like dealing with the leaking hut.

So for 6000 baht total for 5 of us, this was well worth the price. The people in the hut next to us said that they paid about the same paying for everything a la carte.

By the way, I'm not a newbie.

We were at Khao Sok the same days. maybe we met too ;).

With work permit or Thai Driving License the entrance to the National Park is 40 Baht not 200!

And now a five ***** so called "Organic Resort", I've seen only from the outside.

Edited by angiud

With work permit or Thai Driving License the entrance to the National Park is 40 Baht not 200!

And now a five ***** so called "Organic Resort", I've seen only from the outside.

We didn't pay any fee to enter the park. All we had to do was to leave my wife's Thai ID at the guard station. When we left we picked it back up.

As far as I could tell the accomodations within the park are all part of the parks department. My wife said they do contract companies to provide services such as maintaining the bungalows and huts and to provide resteraunt services. This seems similar to how it's done in US national parks.

Guess I must be the exception then, I produced both licenses & still had to pay Bht 200, not only once but twice. Must be your pretty looks. :D

We just drove through the guard station then took first road on the right, that leads right down to the bottom where the park main office & shops are. Once you get to the wharf they have the ticket office, this is where I paid.

Got a boat, charged me Bht 1,500 for a day & Bht 1,000 for every extra day they have to wait.

We stayed at a couple of places, last one was magic, will post details once I find the card & they have their own boat so might be cheaper.

<br />What's the best route from Phuket?<br /><br />Do you go up past Khao Lak and cut in, or do you head toward Phang-Nga and make a left at the one signal (the 4?).<br /><br />Once off of Phuket, how long is the trip? Info appreciated, thx, GOM<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Pass the Sarasin Bridge over, from Phuket Island to Phang Nga (main land).

Once in Phang Nga, follow the indications Khao Lak, Takuapa (high way 401)

You should arrive in Khao Lak after a 1 hour drive.

Once in Khao Lak, keep on driving straight towards Takuapa (about 40 km further on).

Once you arrive in Takuapa, keep on driving for another 45 minutes trough the mountains until reaching Khao Sok.

The entry of the Khao Sok National Park will be on your left hand side.

details from http://www.khaosok-hotels.com/location.html

<br />What's the best route from Phuket?<br /><br />Do you go up past Khao Lak and cut in, or do you head toward Phang-Nga and make a left at the one signal (the 4?).<br /><br />Once off of Phuket, how long is the trip? Info appreciated, thx, GOM<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Pass the Sarasin Bridge over, from Phuket Island to Phang Nga (main land).

Once in Phang Nga, follow the indications Khao Lak, Takuapa (high way 401)

You should arrive in Khao Lak after a 1 hour drive.

Once in Khao Lak, keep on driving straight towards Takuapa (about 40 km further on).

Once you arrive in Takuapa, keep on driving for another 45 minutes trough the mountains until reaching Khao Sok.

The entry of the Khao Sok National Park will be on your left hand side.

details from http://www.khaosok-hotels.com/location.html

Mmmm ... I seem to remember turning right at the traffic light when you get to Takuapa. Going straight (well really it's a leftish turn, then a right curve) takes you to Ranong. I can tell you it's a much longer drive than it seems looking at the map.