Quad Bikes

A few years bike there used to be alot of Quad Bikes around the roads of Samui, and a few shops renting them out...

I havent seen a quad bike in nearly a year now on the samui roads, and all the shops have shut down

What happened to them? did the BIB crack down on the renters and people riding about on them ( as i remember someone mentioned they where illegal on the roads here )

one of the reason's i ask is i wouldn't mind getting one myself

i've often wondered the same thing. three years back they were everywhere and now, nowhere.

can't say i mind too much though really since i'd get stuck behind a quad train of tourists and it would take everything i had to control the road rage.

:( Obviously you do not appreciate the good things on Samui. Quad bikes are for yahoos as are jetskis and to desecrate the peace and quiet of the offroad trails with their orchards and forests, you obviously have no right to be there. A wonderful day's walking on these trails with a baguette lunch and a bottle of water, only to be pushed off the trail by a convoy of noisy smelly quadbikes with the drivers yippee yo yai ing, is just another past activity to be written off ! Grrrrrrr ! :angry:

Have been to that quiet beach just around the Centara Villa Beach recently, you know that one with the simple coconut beach bar, when suddenly 3 or 4 Quad Bikes with tourists arrived. The good thing was, they disappeared as quick as they came. :)

As has been mentioned before, they were all made in China and keep breaking down. Parts we difficult to get so many quad bikes were always off the road, waiting for repair and so not generating any income. They cost 250,000 Bht each. Add that to the monthly payments to the BIB as they were illegal (no number plates and green books), it became obvious even to the wonderful Thai business community, that they were not a money making proposition!!!!! .

They are still some around Maenam, the blessed noisy things :angry: They are now going up my Soi, all of a sudden....(last couple of weeks) usually 6 or more at a time.... they head into the dirt roads in the "jungle"... some times 2 or 3 lots of them a day..... so much for peace & quiet! :bah:

:( Obviously you do not appreciate the good things on Samui. Quad bikes are for yahoos as are jetskis and to desecrate the peace and quiet of the offroad trails with their orchards and forests, you obviously have no right to be there. A wonderful day's walking on these trails with a baguette lunch and a bottle of water, only to be pushed off the trail by a convoy of noisy smelly quadbikes with the drivers yippee yo yai ing, is just another past activity to be written off ! Grrrrrrr ! :angry:

:lol: You are my hero Crusty. :lol:

It would appear they have all moved to Koh Tao, great for familys or sensible folk on these sandy twisty roads.

However it appears they are being rented to absolute w##kers here instead seems almost to be a prerequisite, lost count of how many quad incidents that I have see the last few years.They due to size seem to lure the unsuspecting riders into a false sense of security and they flip real easy or they pinch a wheel in a storm drain and they are eating concrete.

Still only up to 200 k for repairs.

It has even promted a popular t-shirt here, hey quadcock it aint cool !

Have been to that quiet beach just around the Centara Villa Beach recently, you know that one with the simple coconut beach bar, when suddenly 3 or 4 Quad Bikes with tourists arrived. The good thing was, they disappeared as quick as they came. :)

i herd a few years ago they were driving them round the island promoting them. then when the shop opened people rushed into buy 1. then drove about 3 kms and got stopped in a check point and got nick for having no mumber plate.

maybe u can register the bike are the transport office u would have to look into it. i know in theory u can do it in england.

as long as they are bought legally

though i rented 1 in koh tao. they ain't all that. going round corners is a proper mission.

they have beacj buggys for sale or for rent in bophut around fishermans village.

nomrally these people ask for stupid money though i havent check which makes it cheaper to get a scond hand truck or down payment for s new car

Edited by BigC

They're not built for roads, they have a fixed back axle which makes it really difficult in cornering on roads. It's actually no fun to ride on a road anyway, for the user or the people within their vacinity. Pointless.

Off-road on sand they're ace.