Thai Law

John K

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the laws of Thailand translated into English. It would seem that depending on who you ask you get a differing answer. I think with all the bull, scamming, and whatever else go on having some solid information would be helpful. I have seen a few but they are not official, and they are not consistent between them.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the laws of Thailand translated into English. It would seem that depending on who you ask you get a differing answer.

...including police and judges. In other words, "the law" is unlikely to help you if you actually get into a situation where you think you need to use it.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the laws of Thailand translated into English. It would seem that depending on who you ask you get a differing answer. I think with all the bull, scamming, and whatever else go on having some solid information would be helpful. I have seen a few but they are not official, and they are not consistent between them.

There really isn't, and there is, as far as I know, no "official" translation, and even among lawyers the semantics will come across differently. Might help if you said what you were looking for...the Constitution? :o

Keep in mind that Thailand is a "code jurisdiction", that is all law is determined by an "interpretation" by a judge of what the Thai words enacted by the legislature mean as applied to a given case.

Thus, it is ripe with variations and differing influences on the judges. I am unaware if Thailand publishes court decisions that are followed as "precedent", such that you have some consistency in judical decisions. If res judicata is present in Thailand, court interpretations of what the law means is the only reliable place to look.

Does anyone know if Thai court decisions are reported? If so where? Do Thai lawyers submit prior court decisions in an attempt to sway current case determinations?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the laws of Thailand translated into English. It would seem that depending on who you ask you get a differing answer.

...including police and judges. In other words, "the law" is unlikely to help you if you actually get into a situation where you think you need to use it.

law in Thailand does depend, to some extent, on who you know, or pay

I am sure it was like that in Farang countries when they were undeveloped.

but...my hubbies daughter came for a visit to CM last year, had her bag snatched. I have never seen so many police and so helpful too. Maybe 'cos she is blonde and beautiful!! anyway, she got her report for insurance without any hassle, but her bag was never found.

There really isn't, and there is, as far as I know, no "official" translation, and even among lawyers the semantics will come across differently. Might help if you said what you were looking for...the Constitution? :D

Exactly. Laws of what?If you expect a categoric list of every law and interpretation so that the layman may then fathom it out there are dozens of websites. I hope you've got plenty of time on your hands however. I spent 4 years in University, studied 1000's of case laws, worked in the field for nearly 30 years and I still don't understand some legal decisions :o

I was just looking to see. It would seem there are some major inconsistencies. Mostly I am sure it was something like I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend. What I call the 60-20-20 of Thailand is the driving force for me on this. 60% of what you hear is true, 20% is partially true, and 20% is just bull. I am trying to put as much in the 60% column as I can. You never know when the truth may come in handy. At least it will give you some leg to stand on if you are ever harassed by the police looking to add to their own personal charity. As far as you not understanding some decisions, I am sure the personal charity factor was part of the decision.

I was just looking to see. It would seem there are some major inconsistencies. Mostly I am sure it was something like I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend. What I call the 60-20-20 of Thailand is the driving force for me on this. 60% of what you hear is true, 20% is partially true, and 20% is just bull. I am trying to put as much in the 60% column as I can. You never know when the truth may come in handy. At least it will give you some leg to stand on if you are ever harassed by the police looking to add to their own personal charity. As far as you not understanding some decisions, I am sure the personal charity factor was part of the decision.

John. It is just that law is not exact. Two person's experience relating to the same law will differ. Thus you will hardly ever get people saying the same story. If law was exact you would not get two lawyers trying to outwit each other in order to convince a judge and jury they actually have done their homework on the case. This is why sometimes decisions baffle one. Human nature means people can be convinced by a good tale rather than any legal aspect. With regard to criminal law in Thailand, I think sometimes the police see it as a great inconvenience :o

Keep in mind that Thailand is a "code jurisdiction", that is all law is determined by an "interpretation" by a judge of what the Thai words enacted by the legislature mean as applied to a given case.

Thus, it is ripe with variations and differing influences on the judges.  I am unaware if Thailand publishes court decisions that are followed as "precedent", such that you have some consistency in judical decisions.  If res judicata is present in Thailand, court interpretations of what the law means is the only reliable place to look.

Does anyone know if Thai court decisions are reported?  If so where?  Do Thai lawyers submit prior court decisions in an attempt to sway current case determinations?

As far as I am aware, there is no principal of stare decisis, either binding or persuasive in Thailand, as the judges do not even make written copies of their judgements available. Seems to be quite a bit of "make it up as you go along", like most of the Thai bureaucracy.

Edited by Rumpole

I have seen guys try to research different laws. They come up with the "legal" answer only to find out that in practice it doesn't work that way. I'm a firm believer that the laws are written for the purpose of being interpreted according to the circumstances. In other words the law is very selectively enforced.

So as I read all the posts, it would seem that Thai law is much like Thai time. Not exact and very flexible. It almost seems it was designed to work with the personal charities many if not officials have, who would have thought.....

Curiously enough, that's not true. Almost all Western law is based on English Common Law, which in turn was based on Viking law...and that goes back over 1000 years. That's over 500 years before the Industrial Revolution and starting to become a developed country. The benefit of being rich was frequently being able to pay a steep fine instead of being imprisoned, but the rich were still tried of crimes and convicted if they broke the law. Another bit of perspective: the previously absolute power of the English King was limited about 800 years ago. The concept of justice for all is strong in Western thought.

Curiously enough, that's not true. Almost all Western law is based on English Common Law, which in turn was based on Viking law...and that goes back over 1000 years. That's over 500 years before the Industrial Revolution and starting to become a developed country. The benefit of being rich was frequently being able to pay a steep fine instead of being imprisoned, but the rich were still tried of crimes and convicted if they broke the law. Another bit of perspective: the previously absolute power of the English King was limited about 800 years ago. The concept of justice for all is strong in Western thought.

As you said,cathy ALMOST all western law. You there forget that the laws on the European continent ar based upon the Napoleon Codex.