Question For Americans Living In Thailand

jay1970

I don't live in Thailand but I think I can give you an Idea of what to bring as a gift.

a 1 pound bag of Hazelnut Coffee and maybe a 1 pound bag of Amaretto Coffee. Both ground to work in a automatic drip coffee maker or perculator. (Most of the coffee in Thailand is thick and heavy unless you use the instant coffee.

Maybe even some flavored non-dairy creamers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pace Picante sauce.

You might be able to buy a small bit here or there in Bangkok or even some lower quality stuff like Ole El Paso, but just go to any Sam's Club in the US and for less than 9 George Washingtons you can pick up a gallon jug of the real stuff.

Pace Picante sauce.

You might be able to buy a small bit here or there in Bangkok or even some lower quality stuff like Ole El Paso, but just go to any Sam's Club in the US and for less than 9 George Washingtons you can pick up a gallon jug of the real stuff.

Or you could do a google search for a picante recipe.

PICANTE SAUCE

Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 c. ground tomatoes

2 c. chopped onion

10-12 Jalapeno peppers

Enough ground bell peppers to make 2 c.

20 oz. tomato puree (Hunts) or 3 cans tomato paste

1 1/2 tsp. cumin

2 tbsp. canning salt

1 c. vinegar

1 garlic bud

Measure ingredients after grinding. Bring mixture to a simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into jars and water bath for 5 minutes in boiling water. [/b]

Edited by PaulUSA302

I don't live in Thailand but I think I can give you an Idea of what to bring as a gift.

a 1 pound bag of Hazelnut Coffee and maybe a 1 pound bag of Amaretto Coffee. Both ground to work in a automatic drip coffee maker or perculator. (Most of the coffee in Thailand is thick and heavy unless you use the instant coffee.

All of that stuff, I would give away, and I'm a big coffee drinker. It's easy to get decent beans here, and I grind them myself. Personally though I would definitely love some pounds of PEETS coffee beans, preferably Major Dickason's blend.

Edited by Jingthing

All of that stuff, I would give away, and I'm a big coffee drinker. It's easy to get decent beans here, and I grind them myself. Personally though I would definitely love some pounds of PEETS coffee beans, preferably Major Dickason's blend.

I have a hard time getting my coffee fix in Thailand. Where do you get your beans from? It will save me from packing coffee supplies when I make my trip to this year.

I have a hard time getting my coffee fix in Thailand. Where do you get your beans from? It will save me from packing coffee supplies when I make my trip to this year.

Based on your tastes, I doubt it would matter. To me flavored coffee is a sin.

A large block of good cheddar cheese.

Freeze it, wrap it in aluminum foil, something like bubble wrap for insulation, and then put a towel around it. It will easily last for a 48 hour journey. Good cheese is extremely difficult to find here, and where it is available, it is very expensive.

Freezing will cause it to become slightly crumbly when it thaws, but I would rather have crumbly cheese than no cheese at all. Most of the local stuff is edible, but that is about all you can say about it. There is a limited selection of imported stuff in the major cities, but the prices are astronomical.

Other gift ideas if you don't like cheese that are well within your $25 budget:

40 oz. container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

40 oz. container of taco seasoning.

1 gallon can of nacho cheese sauce from Costco

Liquid smoke

<= Slowly backs out of thread......

Out of curiosity Paul did you risk a visit last year? :huh:

Yes, I was there in October. I had a very nice time and met a lot of people as well as some unusual residents there. One highlight of my trip was being able to use my Iphone there and having all my records, reservations and contacts just a tap away. One thing I loved the most with the Iphone was that as I walked around and found places I would want to return to, I would open up the compas, go to the map and place a pin on the map to help me navigate back to that location.

Saw some places I would have never thought possible like a beach resort nestled on a military base. Slept outside (On the balcony of my rented condo). and simply took it easy. It was a good vacation. :)

Decent extension cords.. You can get relish, jelly beans and licorice at Villa.

Villa have liquorice and jelly beans and I have tried them both and in my opinion they are not as good as the ones you can get in the States.

Getting back to the OP if the friend is a real special friend then get him a bottle of Patron Tequila (Anejo)

:partytime2:

Oh!!!!! Well, no one mentioned that they had to better tasting then what you get here just that they weren't available here.. Personally the licorice I got at Villa is quite good, haven't had jelly beans for some time so I don't know about those but it all comes down to a personal preference thing anyway. Point is they do have them there either way since no other previous requirements about flavor were laid down, I answered accordingly.....

A large block of good cheddar cheese.

Freeze it, wrap it in aluminum foil, something like bubble wrap for insulation, and then put a towel around it. It will easily last for a 48 hour journey. Good cheese is extremely difficult to find here, and where it is available, it is very expensive.

Freezing will cause it to become slightly crumbly when it thaws, but I would rather have crumbly cheese than no cheese at all. Most of the local stuff is edible, but that is about all you can say about it. There is a limited selection of imported stuff in the major cities, but the prices are astronomical.

Other gift ideas if you don't like cheese that are well within your $25 budget:

40 oz. container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

40 oz. container of taco seasoning.

1 gallon can of nacho cheese sauce from Costco

Liquid smoke

From experience I've found there's no need to freeze a decent half truckle of cheese before travelling. Simply wrap securely in paper and maybe cover with a teatowel is sufficient.

The main problem with cheese isn't the heat but the humidity and for that reason on arrival its good to get it into an airtight container quickly and then into a fridge.

Lasts for a good while in this condition I've found. ;)

The main problem with cheese isn't the heat but the humidity and for that reason on arrival its good to get it into an airtight container quickly and then into a fridge.

On my last return to Thailand (yesterday), I saw at the Bangkok airport immediately after clearing Immigration, big signs "Meat Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing left)", "Seafood Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing left)", and "Plant Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing right)", and a sign "Dump it or Declare it". Not sure how serious Thai customs is about all of this (I cleared cutoms with no problem, but 2 guys ahead of me had their bags scanned), but with many good choices for a gift, meat and perhaps cheese may be items to avoid (importation of meat is expressly prohibited). I am sure that any canned, jared or bottled items are no problem, and much easier to carry.

By the way, I am not a tequila connosieur, is Patrón a good one? I see Gran Patrón, Patrón Reposado and Patrón Silver at the duty free -- which is best and what would be a "reasonable price for a 1.75 L bottle? Thanks for any guidance.

On my last return to Thailand (yesterday), I saw at the Bangkok airport immediately after clearing Immigration, big signs "Meat Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing left)", "Seafood Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing left)", and "Plant Quarantine Area (with an arrow pointing right)", and a sign "Dump it or Declare it". Not sure how serious Thai customs is about all of this (I cleared cutoms with no problem, but 2 guys ahead of me had their bags scanned), but with many good choices for a gift, meat and perhaps cheese may be items to avoid (importation of meat is expressly prohibited). I am sure that any canned, jared or bottled items are no problem, and much easier to carry.

By the way, I am not a tequila connosieur, is Patrón a good one? I see Gran Patrón, Patrón Reposado and Patrón Silver at the duty free -- which is best and what would be a "reasonable price for a 1.75 L bottle? Thanks for any guidance.

patron is a quality tequila for sure, but i prefer don julio. in any case, if you see someone asking for lime and salt for a shot of either then you should just keep it for yourself and don't waste good tequila on them.

Yes I've been aware of the law on meat products for a while now. Clearly its possible they could include cheese in his but I think it unlikely any Thai would want to get close enough to examine it....the smell seems to put them off doesn't it! :lol:

Last year I mentioned to my Dad that shaving cream here in Thailand is sort of expensive.

A month later I received a box with four of the big cans of Colgate shaving cream. Only now a year later am busting into the last can, and I shave five days a week, weekends I go scruffy.

Last year I mentioned to my Dad that shaving cream here in Thailand is sort of expensive.

A month later I received a box with four of the big cans of Colgate shaving cream. Only now a year later am busting into the last can, and I shave five days a week, weekends I go scruffy.

Why the desire for such exorbitant luxury? Soap does the same thing, well I find.

Can a refugee Brit share a fantasy on this thread?

1. Marmite or preferably Asda's Own yeast extract, 24# kilos of.

2. Branston Pickle, Original, 38# kilos of.

3. A mature cheddar.

4. A Cumberland Ring.

You can easily get sweet relish in Bangkok if you're looking for some, even Tesco has Heinz

For sure? Or are you thinking of Heinz hot dog relish - which isn't really the same thing....

Most of what's been posted is available in Phuket, although I sure do miss Cholula hot sauce. Good tequila, as noted. Nestle chocolate chips (although Hershey's are widely available).

BTW, Jelly Bellys (pardon the spelling) are available in some grocery stores already, and will soon be available elsewhere in Phuket (email me for details - woody at khun woody dot com). I bet Villa gets them, too. They're manufactured in Thailand now - the real thing. Made from tapioca.

Edited by woodyleonhard

20lbs of Taco Bell, freeze it and pack it in dry ice.

Assuming that the giftees drink wine, wine is the correct choice. Other good choices: tahini, peanut butter, horseraddish, balsamic vinegar, canned garbanzo beans (assuming that they like hummus), southwestern US chilli powder, hot sauce -- these are many of the things that I wish someone would bring me (other than a new Vette, which is beyond your stated budget (and tough to get into a suitcase)). Bed sheets would also be appreciated. Can you bring a few things for me? :whistling:

sweet relish

peanut butter everywhere here. Bring Almond Butter, refried beans, cast iron cookware.......