and who they learn it from

how it came out sounding that way

i am not exactly sure but i have an idea

this is no way a stab at thais

i love em :rolleyes:

it is a cultural phenomenon

up for discussing

DECENTLY please

(I know how difficult that is for some of you but YOU CAN DO IT)

please try to stay on topic too :P

Edited by deejah

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic a little bit, but my daughter is learning English and gets told off if she speaks pidgeon english and then farangs come round and speak pidgeon English to her :annoyed: .

you are right

it is not about that

in fact these people speak english pretty darn well

and they let you know it!!!

it is the attitude

the tone

in fact i think it is suppose to be irritating :blink:

not sure how yet to explain it without telling who i know who does it the most ;)

i will tell you that it is not the educated bangkok thais for the most part

Off topic a little bit, but my daughter is learning English and gets told off if she speaks pidgeon english and then farangs come round and speak pidgeon English to her :annoyed: .

I must say i use that kind of english too with people who don't seem to have much command of English. With my wife i usually use normal English although sometimes i will simplify things (not pidgeon English).

I like it when THais speak good clear but easy Thai with me. Not like im an idiot but replacing the real hard words with easier ones. After a while i know the basic and can move on.

Lets face there is no standard way of speaking English, even amongst 1st language English speakers, Spoken English varies over short distances in the UK...ie Liverpool vs Manchester, Newcastle to Glasgow. Internationally we have American English, Austrialian English etc...even Singapore has its own version of English..named "Slinglish"

My opinion after many years working internationally in multi-cultural/mutli-language enviroments were English is the contract languge, if the person concerned can make him/her self understood about what they are talking about in English....their English skills are good enough, irrespective of how they speak it.

Do i think Thailand would benefit "internationally" having a certain degree/standard of English spoken widely across the country....Yes,

If one looks at Cambodia, which was a French colony, one would expect French to be a "second language" but in fact its English and spoken for the most part at a higher level than is spoken in Thailand

Food for thought...

you are right

it is not about that

it is the attitude

the tone

not sure how yet to explain it without telling who i know who does it the most ;)

Before you start complaining about Thais trying to learrn English, maybe you should learn how to write English. Writing is much easier than speaking. There's even programs on the computer to teach you how if you never went to school.

Actually no one is speaking pidgeon English to your daughter...Pidgeon is a recognised dialect of English and its most certainly not spoken in Thailand to my knowlege

Personnally I think the better term would be "baby" English and depending on how old your daughter is, it may be appropriate..

There's a difference between fluency and speaking correctly. Many Thais ( if they work in tourist areas ) are what I would call fluent in English in that they can make themselves understood very well, speak quickly and understand very well but grammatically they are very poor. Then you will get other people who have studied English at university but they just can't speak it.

you are right

it is not about that

it is the attitude

the tone

Before you start complaining about Thais trying to learrn English, maybe you should learn how to write English. Writing is much easier than speaking. There's even programs on the computer to teach you how if you never went to school.

Wot yews talkin' 'bout?

I must say i use that kind of english too with people who don't seem to have much command of English. With my wife i usually use normal English although sometimes i will simplify things (not pidgeon English).

I like it when THais speak good clear but easy Thai with me. Not like im an idiot but replacing the real hard words with easier ones. After a while i know the basic and can move on.

Never ever speak pidgin English to my wife or any other Thai. I try to speak Thai as best I can as most of the Thais I come into contact with don't speak or maybe only have a smattering of English. When I speak English I try to speak slowly and simply. English must be a difficult language to learn. I mean what other language would have an expression such as " I didn't do it ,did I? Do you?"

Actually no one is speaking pidgeon English to your daughter...Pidgeon is a recognised dialect of English and its most certainly not spoken in Thailand to my knowlege

Personnally I think the better term would be "baby" English and depending on how old your daughter is, it may be appropriate..

Nothing annoys me more than foreigners speaking Thai to my boys. It's so stupid. firstly their Thais is probably shit and secondly there are 65 million other people in this country who can do it a lot better than them. Don't try to impress me with your pidgeon Thai. My kids need all the English they can get living where they are surrounded by Thais.

Nothing annoys me more than foreigners speaking Thai to my boys. It's so stupid. firstly their Thais is probably shit and secondly there are 65 million other people in this country who can do it a lot better than them. Don't try to impress me with your pidgeon Thai. My kids need all the English they can get living where they are surrounded by Thais.

If anyone spoke English to my son, he would probably ignore them. Even I speak Thai to my son. Only Thai is used in my household.

Different situations require different approaches.

BTW, no idea what the OP is waffling on about.

Edited by GarryP

I didn't even realize that pigeons spoke English. I just speak tweety-bird language to them.

However, I'll use pidgin English where it is appropriate to do so. As long as the person understands what I am saying I don't worry about the grammar. I'll drop off the adjectives, verbs and adverbs where necessary. Children are smart. They pick up things far faster than adults. They don't worry about being correct. That can come later by exposing them to proper language skills at home. I'm quite certain that Thais don't speak pidgin Thai to their children, just as most Americans don't speak pidgin English to their children.

It you've ever listened to a Cockney Brit speak English then you would hardly understand a word he said. Same goes for other cities in Great Britain, and they are SUPPOSEDLY speaking English..

If anyone spoke English to my son, he would probably ignore them. Even I speak Thai to my son. Only Thai is used in my household.

Different situations require different approaches.

BTW, no idea what the OP is waffling on about.

Each to their own but I made a decision that I would never speak Thai to my children except in some extreme cases like if the floor is slippery I would tell them in Thai the floor is slippery so they don't slip. And after a while they know what slippery is in English so then I wouldn't do it. Their is nothing wrong with my Thai but I just want to converse with my kids in my own language. No matter how good you get you are always more comfortable in your own language and you can always express yourself better too. Also, how old are your kids ? Thai might be okay when they are young but as they get older you are going to be having serious conversations with them. Can you help them and explain to them in Thai everything about the science project they will be doing at school ? Do you know all the vocab ? The correct spellings in Thai ?It's a big commitment to do everything in Thai. Also , don't take this the wrong way but what about later on in life, if your kids can't speak English what sort of job are they going to get ? What about if they want to see where daddy comes from when they are older. It's going to make things tricky. Good luck with that. I think you're going to need it !!

There's a difference between fluency and speaking correctly. Many Thais ( if they work in tourist areas ) are what I would call fluent in English in that they can make themselves understood very well, speak quickly and understand very well but grammatically they are very poor. Then you will get other people who have studied English at university but they just can't speak it.

Well they havent really studied English then at university if they can't speak it or any other languge for that matter.

Imagine someone spending 3 or 4 year at a university in Europe/US studying a degree in say Chinese, getting the degree in the language and then saying they cant speak the languge to at least a reasonable standard...once would question the worth of the degree....:whistling:

What is use is understanding the "grammar" of a languge and one cant communicate verbally in said language, one could understand the reverse situation after 4 years at University someone could speak the languge pretty well, but still had difficulties with "grammatical" and written aspects of a language.

How to really confuse somebody learning English ?....teach them grammar...:lol: ....I hazard a guess, very few of us who are speak first languge English remember our "grammar" lessons from school or even understand half the rules...We dont and for the most part dont really care its enough we can make ourselves understood both verbally and in writing

To me someone is "fluent" in a languge if they can make themselves understood in a particular languge, as to speaking correctly, what is speaking English correctly....American English, Queens English or Cockney etc ?

Is it really important for most foreigners?

Jimmy Smidgeon-Pattiingford-Higgins to the local beauty: Hello, you want go boom boom, my room, ok?

Mrs. Olga Haringsbord: Too much, too much, I pay 100 baht for shirt.

Apoo Sanjaysingmathala: You go hotel Kookoo, I pay 200 baht. Discount for me ok.

Mr. Wing Wee Woo: Aieee Aieee Aieee

Miss Sapporo Fuji: Teee heee heee

Guido Santo Cristo: Please, please you have cheese, real cheese from cow, Animal that go moo.

Nigel O'Leary: Crikey, mate, back in 'ome we got crocs that got better teeth than your ugly mug. .

Heinz von Frustrate: IDIOT, YOU DO NOW. FASTER. FASTER.

Can one honestly blame a Thai for speaking mangled English when confronted 24/7 with gibberish?

Edited by geriatrickid

Each to their own but I made a decision that I would never speak Thai to my children except in some extreme cases like if the floor is slippery I would tell them in Thai the floor is slippery so they don't slip. And after a while they know what slippery is in English so then I wouldn't do it. Their is nothing wrong with my Thai but I just want to converse with my kids in my own language. No matter how good you get you are always more comfortable in your own language and you can always express yourself better too. Also, how old are your kids ? Thai might be okay when they are young but as they get older you are going to be having serious conversations with them. Can you help them and explain to them in Thai everything about the science project they will be doing at school ? Do you know all the vocab ? The correct spellings in Thai ?It's a big commitment to do everything in Thai. Also , don't take this the wrong way but what about later on in life, if your kids can't speak English what sort of job are they going to get ? What about if they want to see where daddy comes from when they are older. It's going to make things tricky. Good luck with that. I think you're going to need it !!

My son is now 21 going on 99. I admit it was a mistake, but as I only speak Thai with my wife, when he was born it seemed the natural thing to do. Luckily, he has absolutely no interest in seeing where I am from and sees himself as Thai rather than luk kreung. Has no interest in living overseas. Wind the clock back and I would have only used English.

I certainly wouldn't speak to a baby like it ;) and what's age got to do with it being appropriate or not if your teaching someone the correct english grammar :o.

Well they havent really studied English then at university if they can't speak it or any other languge for that matter.

Imagine someone spending 3 or 4 year at a university in Europe/US studying a degree in say Chinese, getting the degree in the language and then saying they cant speak the languge to at least a reasonable standard...once would question the worth of the degree....:whistling:

What is use is understanding the "grammar" of a languge and one cant communicate verbally in said language, one could understand the reverse situation after 4 years at University someone could speak the languge pretty well, but still had difficulties with "grammatical" and written aspects of a language.

How to really confuse somebody learning English ?....teach them grammar...:lol: ....I hazard a guess, very few of us who are speak first languge English remember our "grammar" lessons from school or even understand half the rules...We dont and for the most part dont really care its enough we can make ourselves understood both verbally and in writing

To me someone is "fluent" in a languge if they can make themselves understood in a particular languge, as to speaking correctly, what is speaking English correctly....American English, Queens English or Cockney etc ?

I should of clarified but I didn't mean majoring in English but studying another subject and English being a part requirement of that course. So many times you meet graduates , who are supposedly the brightest , and whom you would have thought would have been good at school , and they cannot speak English even though they have been studying it since they were three years old probably. Whereas the garment seller in Phuket or Pattaya speaks English every day has a good level of fluency even though he/ she probably didn't study to a high level.

My son is now 21 going on 99. I admit it was a mistake, but as I only speak Thai with my wife, when he was born it seemed the natural thing to do. Luckily, he has absolutely no interest in seeing where I am from and sees himself as Thai rather than luk kreung. Has no interest in living overseas. Wind the clock back and I would have only used English.

My point exactly.. I've got a friend in a similar position to you and he says exactly the same thing.

alfieconn, robblok, soutpeel, bermondburi, you've all been very bad boys. Using "pigeon" (or even "pidgeon") instead of "pidgin". You should know that this is one of SBK's pet peeves, and she'll be round to smack your bottoms if you persist in this. She may even keep you in after school!

you are right

it is not about that

it is the attitude

the tone

Before you start complaining about Thais trying to learrn English, maybe you should learn how to write English. Writing is much easier than speaking.

Really Ian?

There, their, they're.

There are posters who have English as their native tongue and still manage to get those wrong sometimes.

you are right

it is not about that

it is the attitude

the tone

will add some more to that if i may ian...how is your thai deejah?..

i know of many falangs who stay in thailand for many many years who can just about say khap khoon khap in thai

Why are so many people so nitty picky about pigeon english at least they are trying to learn english.

It could be a lot worse they could be speaking pigeon welsh,,,,then you would all be in trouble rolleyes.gif

nobody gets it yet

i already wrote a thread on pidgin English

where were all you guys then? :o

maybe i should reopen that thread and my topic will be covered :whistling:

Dont bother mate,this thread is a total load of <deleted>.Many thais go to school to learn english,not just your hi-so american speaking Bangkok whiteys,and all kinds of farangs teach them,from welsh to scottish to german,so how the hell can all thais speak the same.

100% CODSWALLOP,if you know what that pidgeon english is

you are right

it is not about that

it is the attitude

the tone

will add some more to that if i may ian...how is your thai deejah?..

i know of many falangs who stay in thailand for many many years who can just about say khap khoon khap in thai

Why are so many people so nitty picky about pigeon english at least they are trying to learn english.

It could be a lot worse they could be speaking pigeon welsh,,,,then you would all be in trouble rolleyes.gif

The guy is trying to start a thread about Bangkok whitey thais and issan/bar girl language but hasnt got the balls to say it

again these people speak English very well

but it is a funny kind of English

i am surprised some of you hadn't noticed it

and that it hasn't rubbed you the wrong way

i am also surprised no one has elaborated on it or have been able to clarify what it is

maybe some of you have not even heard what it is i am talking about

this really doesn't belong in the isan thread

i called it issan English as a suggested name

with a question mark after it

it is kind of like they are YELLING AT YOU

not talking to you

talking loudly enunciating clearly

with pretty darn good grammar and vocab

BUT when they speak thai they sound fine normal

not like they are trying to be something

this thread does suck

i was looking for someone to help me understand why they might feel it is necessary to talk like that, or the origin of it

i have some ideas

i am certainly not perfect

no where near it

and i usually dont criticize judge or complain

in fact i wasn't

it just turns my stomach

(its a shame because these people have so much going for them but end up sounding a bit put-off-ish to a gentleman)

maybe that is exactly the idea and point of it , not sure

that is why i prefer they speak thai to me and i to them

then they sound fine

anyway its my problem

apparently no one else has an issue with this

sorry if i offended anyone :jap:

maybe best if i didn't bring it up

thanks folks