Gas Station Maenam

I heard this a couple of times now from the local Thais, that the usually busy gas station in Maenam is closing for a few months, for a make over / reno ...

I am not sure of exact dates.... (The one between Soi 3 & 4, with blue flame logo, Their is one in Lamai too)

It means either having to use the old Esso station in Ban Tai, or filling in Chawang which are more expensive.... :( ....

They have just redone the one on the way to Chaweng beach and will redo as well the one in Chaweng on the main road (before Bkk hospital) in a few months. Good news, there is now the Gasohol 91 (the green one) available on Samui, which is 5 THB cheaper per litre than the usual 91

They have just redone the one on the way to Chaweng beach and will redo as well the one in Chaweng on the main road (before Bkk hospital) in a few months. Good news, there is now the Gasohol 91 (the green one) available on Samui, which is 5 THB cheaper per litre than the usual 91

what is this Gasohol 91? And can it be used on any car/bike that normally uses 91?

what is this Gasohol 91? And can it be used on any car/bike that normally uses 91?

Sure it can be used.....................for a few km............:D

If you've got any rubber components (seals, tubes, carb diaphragm etc.) that come into contact with gasohol), over time the gas perishes the rubber. I use only gasohol in emergencies if regular red 91 isn't available.

Date I gather now for the closing, is the 18th January..... or perhaps when they run out of gas! :rolleyes:

As for the Gasohol "91" which is actually the 95 ( I think samui34samui, made a typo there) I have been using it for over two years in my Click... It does give you about 10% better mileage, I've done the test myself & has been talked about in other TV forums.....

It used to be cheaper (95), but seems to vary up & down.....now more, I think, which in a motor bike does not make a pile if difference... may need more calculation in filling a truck to see if you would save... I seem to use about a tankful a week, which costs me usually 80 baht or so. Sure better than the $75.00 or so dollars, I used to use a week in Canada, in my truck! I guess that would be about the same here, since the price of gas is about the same.... of course those from the UK & Europe are used to paying much more!

If I remember the gas station near Tesco Nanthon also has the 95 gas...

Date I gather now for the closing, is the 18th January..... or perhaps when they run out of gas! :rolleyes:

As for the Gasohol "91" which is actually the 95 ( I think samui34samui, made a typo there) I have been using it for over two years in my Click... It does give you about 10% better mileage, I've done the test myself & has been talked about in other TV forums.....

It used to be cheaper (95), but seems to vary up & down.....now more, I think, which in a motor bike does not make a pile if difference... may need more calculation in filling a truck to see if you would save... I seem to use about a tankful a week, which costs me usually 80 baht or so. Sure better than the $75.00 or so dollars, I used to use a week in Canada, in my truck! I guess that would be about the same here, since the price of gas is about the same.... of course those from the UK & Europe are used to paying much more!

I made a quick search (not sure if i can post the link): http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_prices.html. The one i was mentioning is Gasohol 91 E10 which is found on the mainland for quite some time now but just arrived on Samui 2-3 weeks ago. Price is @ 34.**THB on Samui. Compared to the "normal" 91 which is a 40.10 THB on Samui these days, it's 6THB difference per litre.

I have been told that the 91 E10 is good for the new cars (well i hoperolleyes.gif)

quick information to reply to stealerian:

91 or 95 is the octane rating of the gasoline, in thailand it's RON rating used while in the states it's the average between RON and MON rating thus giving lower octane index.

so the higher octane rate, the higher resistance to self explosion wich would create a clicking inside the burning chamber thus damaging mechanic parts.

gasohol E10(the only one sold on koh samui) is a mix of 91+10% ethanol(green colour) or 95+10% ethanol(orange colour).

don't suppose anyu gas station fancies openeing 24 hrs ?????

someone who had studied barstool law told me once that gas stations on samui were forbidden from being open for 24 hours.

take it with a grain of sang som, it may or may not be factually kerect.

someone who had studied barstool law told me once that gas stations on samui were forbidden from being open for 24 hours.

suppose the people that sell that mixed up bottle of gas 91 and 95 would be pissed off.

I made a quick search (not sure if i can post the link): http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html. The one i was mentioning is Gasohol 91 E10 which is found on the mainland for quite some time now but just arrived on Samui 2-3 weeks ago. Price is @ 34.**THB on Samui. Compared to the "normal" 91 which is a 40.10 THB on Samui these days, it's 6THB difference per litre.

I have been told that the 91 E10 is good for the new cars (well i hoperolleyes.gif)

my new car seems to run like a dream on the 91 Green, plus i get more for my money. But i have notice i have lasted an extra week on the same amount put in when i used to use the other gas

I made a quick search (not sure if i can post the link): http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html. The one i was mentioning is Gasohol 91 E10 which is found on the mainland for quite some time now but just arrived on Samui 2-3 weeks ago. Price is @ 34.**THB on Samui. Compared to the "normal" 91 which is a 40.10 THB on Samui these days, it's 6THB difference per litre.

my new car seems to run like a dream on the 91 Green, plus i get more for my money. But i have notice i have lasted an extra week on the same amount put in when i used to use the other gas

makes me wonder is global warming a load of rubbish to make people paranpoid and go all green then people up the prices for green techno.

what about solar electric how much could be save if it was cheaper.

you would think it would make logical sense to open at least one 24 Hour Branch in Samui , as after 9pm, there is no where to get diesel or fill your car up ( would not trust the over priced watered down rubbish they sell on the street )

you would think it would make logical sense to open at least one 24 Hour Branch in Samui , as after 9pm, there is no where to get diesel or fill your car up ( would not trust the over priced watered down rubbish they sell on the street )

this legend is having a long life, gasoline is floating up when mixed with water so this can't be true...

have just heard that mae nam ptt station is now closed. some of my staff went there this morning to fill up and were refused, they had to buy bottles to get to work.

they were told 2 months to re-open.

so expect it open in around 4 months whistling.gif .... looks like the other petrol stations will raise there prices in the area to meet demand

have just heard that mae nam ptt station is now closed. some of my staff went there this morning to fill up and were refused, they had to buy bottles to get to work.

so expect it open in around 4 months whistling.gif .... looks like the other petrol stations will raise there prices in the area to meet demand

agree about four months. if the station in ban tai raises their prices anymore it would look to passers by that they were selling gold, not gasoline.

Yes, this is what I heard last night, gates put across, but you can still fill bottles or containers..... probably until the tanks are totally emptied.... would be my guess......... so much for the postponement! Not sure I would want the dregs from the bottom of the tanks.... :(

My original sources were correct about this, the person who said it had been "postponed" was a relative, of the owners, so much for family communications! ;)

Sure it can be used.....................for a few km............

I did some check-up, when the 95 where introduced. All cars (and probably motorbikes) should, without problems, be able to run on gasoline mixed with 10-15% ethanol. Ethanol have been used as gasoline mix for many years during winter in cold areas. A car can run on pure ethanol, but rubber seals etc. will be damaged. However, most new cars may work fine with up to some 80% ethanol.

• 1 month later...

According to a neighbour, the gas station in Maenam is selling gas from 45 gallon barrels.... at 45 baht per litre.....

When I drove by this morning the new construction seemed to be coming along.,,,,,

It was not obvious they were selling gas though... I sure hope so, as it's a pain driving to either the Esso (49.80 baht per litre) or Chawang to fill up :angry:

According to a neighbour, the gas station in Maenam is selling gas from 45 gallon barrels.... at 45 baht per litre.....

When I drove by this morning the new construction seemed to be coming along.,,,,,

It was not obvious they were selling gas though... I sure hope so, as it's a pain driving to either the Esso (49.80 baht per litre) or Chawang to fill up :angry:

new station in chewang, 36 THB a litre

My Thai neighbour tells me that this is now an EX gas station and is going to be turned into a mini mall ...

R

My Thai neighbour tells me that this is now an EX gas station and is going to be turned into a mini mall ...

R

Well my guess it will have another 7 11 ....(just what we need :D ) along with the gas, I 'd say the metal posts going up will cover the new pumps....??? We'll see, I guess....

I checked this out a bit closer this morning & the PTT gas is not being sold at the old station......it's some times hard to decipher all of what the Thai's intend to say, :)....

What was left out was the fact the gas in drums is being sold just past Soi 2 (7-11 on corner) on right side a few shops down... It is not obvious! .... and not easy for car or truck to get to, especially when headed towards Bophut ... actually I only just caught it out of the corner of my eye on the way home.... not much room to park or pull off the ring road especially if someone on your tail!!! :o

Perhaps when the new station is open, the prices will come down?

Just about every shop around Maenam selling the 750 ml bottles for 40 baht now...

R

Well my guess it will have another 7 11 ....(just what we need :D ) along with the gas, I 'd say the metal posts going up will cover the new pumps....??? We'll see, I guess....

I checked this out a bit closer this morning & the PTT gas is not being sold at the old station......it's some times hard to decipher all of what the Thai's intend to say, :)....

What was left out was the fact the gas in drums is being sold just past Soi 2 (7-11 on corner) on right side a few shops down... It is not obvious! .... and not easy for car or truck to get to, especially when headed towards Bophut ... actually I only just caught it out of the corner of my eye on the way home.... not much room to park or pull off the ring road especially if someone on your tail!!! :o

Perhaps when the new station is open, the prices will come down?

Just about every shop around Maenam selling the 750 ml bottles for 40 baht now...

GAS-BARREL-SPOTTING REPORT:

Add to the location above the big barrels with the hand pump and clear glass containers on top at -

1. heading towards Chaweng past the lights at Bo Phut, pass the big food market and look to the right just a little way after, and

2. turn towards Fisherman's Village - before you get to 7-11 there are a couple on the opposite (RH) side of the road.

;)

R