What Would You Do?

Simbo

Advise please.

My Thai wife and I split up more than 3 years ago. We were incompatible.

She arrived back with all her family, demanding I vacate her house. The gates were locked, so I phoned my lawyer. His advise was on no account let them in or I would never get them out.

I bought the house on a 30 year renewable lease.

She went to the police, who could not help her. My car was in her name, paid for by yours truly. Through my lawyer, she was offered a good settlment, but refused.

One night, on arriving home, I was in the process of locking the car, when I was knocked to the ground and the keys taken. By the time I got up, whoever it was, was inside and preparing to drive away. It was locked and being a big pickup, there was not a lot I could do.

I called the police, who said it was a family matter and wouldn't help.

The next day, I saw my lawyer. Under the circumstances of the way it was taken, he made them change their report. This still didn't help. I recieved a visit from two policemen, one quite high ranking, who asked me in this vogue, " If someone was to get your car back, how much would you be prepared to pay that some one.''

I thought about it, but declined the offer. My lawyer pursued it and found, my ex had reported the log book lost and acquired a new one, before the car was stolen.

( devious. What?) The police sanctioned the theft, and I never saw the car again.

My lawyer said we can get it back through the courts. I waited one year, asked him how much longer. About another year he said. I told him to forget it and we would call it a settlement.

Being seperated for more than a year, getting a divorce was easy. She wasn't present and never replied to any correspondence.

Two more years have gone by. I am due to marry the girl who is carrying my baby

in two weeks, when a letter arrives from my Ex. apparently, she is back in Thailand after moving to UK with the money she made from the sale of the car.

She now says she wants rent from me or she will have the electric turned off.

Don't laugh). The power is still in her name. I tried to change it once, but they wanted a chunk of money,so I didn't bother.

I'm sure there is nothing she can do to stitch me up, but I thought I may be missing something. ( I know I'm missing the car)

In your valued opinions. Is there anything more she can do, other than cancel the electric. :o

In my opinion, i would be more concern of your safety and your love ones here rather than objects. If she could "attack" you once (for the car) she might do it again to gain more possible income from you.

Be extra careful, things could get pretty nasty since she's back.

Explorer :o

A good point, explorer. Thanks. I live in a predominantly Thai soi. No matter how wondeful they say the Thais are, their allegiance is still with their own. I never had any help over the car.

Good advise from Explorer, as with cdnvic for minimal protection.

Several other ideas come to mind, none really that legal. You already lost the car, so what most smart folks would do is quietly sell the house and move so she can't find you.

If you are working and she knows where, this is an added problem. If not selling out and moving is the safest of all other options.

Let her turn the electric off :D Have it turned back on in another name. May be an inconvenience for a day or two but the title holder can have it done rather quickly. Standard :D fees apply!

I don’t know what else you really can do in a situation like this; you already have a lawyer and know this route meets with some LOCAL resistance as with the boys in brown. :D

No matter how the problem reaches a final resolution it will cost as they say, "This Is Thailand."

You will really have to watch youself, the X sounds dangerous to me.

Good luck :o

Several other ideas come to mind, none really that legal. You already lost the car, so what most smart folks would do is quietly sell the house and move so she can't find you.

If you are working and she knows where, this is an added problem. If not selling out and moving is the safest of all other options.

I'll' say that is a good idea, buy at least one big dog.

Move, for sure.

Can you sell the house if you just have a lease, I don't think so.

Sounds like she has her greedy eyes on the house, as she can't wait 30 years for it. Her bark is probably worse than her bite., but be careful.

I don't know if there is the Thai equivalent of a restraining order - I guess there would be. That would be the route to take in many countries. Then, if the ex broke that order, the police would have to react as she would be in contempt of court. Your lawyer would know.

I'll' say that is a good idea, buy at least one big dog.

Move, for sure.

Can you sell the house if you just have a lease, I don't think so.

Sounds like she has her greedy eyes on the house, as she can't wait 30 years for it. Her bark is probably worse than her bite., but be careful.

The Ex is the registered proprietor and Simbo a lessee, so he has limited rights and certainly none to be able to sell the house. That dog sounds like a good assett to have around the front door.

it sounds like a real pain

better go to the police and pay a little to have some guards set up around your house. They can be very good, the police always like to make a little extra!!

once you have good relations with local police, a lot of your problems can be solved....just pay!! :D:o

Oooops, I might be joining you soon Simbo.

My car ( sorry the car ) is still in the Ex's name.

The divorce settlement gave me the car but she refuses to give me the papers. So you are not alone.

Why not get a new electric supply connected and then stop paying the meter which is in her name.

The power is still in her name. I tried to change it once, but they wanted a chunk of money,so I didn't bother.

I'm sure there is nothing she can do to stitch me up, but I thought I may be missing something.

In your valued opinions.

check your lease, it should contain the provision of rent....how much to be paid and how often. ..it may have been paid up by you in advance?

is the land title in her name ??

is the physical house i her name???

it would seem that the lecky and the water are the only other things she can tinker with.

go talk to them , get the accounts in your name!

thanks for posting this, after my recent thread "nothing in my name" my stance seems justified.

good luck and keep updating the thread evidence, it should serve as sound advice to many people

I would ask your lawyer to arrange for the electricity account to be changed to your name.

When I 'bought' my house, the lawyer had the names on the water, telephone and electricity accounts changed without me even knowing. I assumed it was standard practice.

My main concern would be leaving the house unoccupied as breaking in and taking occupancy could well be her next move.

I agree that getting a large dog would at least provide some deterrent.

Can you find out who here current BF is? I would go down that road. I would also get a decent lawler to file any sort of claim against her that you can trump up.hopefully it will go to court when she is out of the country etc.Even if it doesn't, let her know that you will go the whole way and not let go etc.

I would also pay the police to make the problem "go away".At least you can use them to your own advantage.

I would still get two of the biggest meanest dogs and teach them to hate her picture etc. :o

Advise please.

She arrived back with all her family, demanding I vacate her house. The gates were locked, so I phoned my lawyer. His advise was on no account let them in or I would never get them out.

She went to the police, who could not help her.  My car was in her name, paid for by yours truly. Through my lawyer, she was offered a good settlment, but refused.

One night, on arriving home, I was in the process of locking the car, when I was knocked to the ground and the keys taken. By the time I got up, whoever it was, was inside and preparing to drive away. It was locked and being a big pickup, there was not a lot I could do.

The next day, I saw my lawyer. Under the circumstances of the way it was taken, he made them change their report. This still didn't help. I recieved a visit from two policemen, one quite high ranking, who asked me in this vogue, " If someone was to get your car back, how much would you be prepared to pay that some one.''

I thought about it, but declined the offer. My lawyer pursued it and found, my ex had reported the log book lost and acquired a new one, before the car was stolen.

( devious. What?) The police sanctioned the theft, and I never saw the car again.

My lawyer said we can get it back through the courts. I waited one year, asked him how much longer. About another year he said. I told him to forget it and we would call it a settlement.

Being seperated for more than a year, getting a divorce was easy. She wasn't present and never replied to any correspondence.

in two weeks, when a letter arrives from my Ex. apparently, she is back in Thailand after moving to UK with the money she made from the sale of the car.

Don't laugh). The power is still in her name. I tried to change it once, but they wanted a chunk of money,so I didn't bother.

I'm sure there is nothing she can do to stitch me up, but I thought I may be missing something.  ( I know I'm missing the car)

In your valued opinions. Is there anything more she can do, other than cancel the electric.  :o

From what you are saying it would appear the house lease is also in her name if she feels she can demand rent from you????

How long have you (or her) had the lease. If it's in her name you can't sell it on so you are no more than a long term renter. That being the case move out ( after a period of non payment (lease) and leave her with it. In who's name are the contents, you could have a local boot sale prior to the next visit from her heavies and run with whatever you can liquidize.

Either way this scenario is going to cost you money and then you will still lose out at least emotionally.

You have already jumped from the frying pan into a potential fire with your latest GF so don't let her get to HER, otherwise it could all happen again.

Exit strategy is the key here not Pride. Get rid now and move on. Take the experience with you and remember the golden rule for all farangs in Thailand.

Never invest more than you can walk away from.

Don't forget - LOS has another side LAND OF SHYSTERS

T.

I'd think twice about getting a big dog.

If she just wants to be vindictive, then you will come home one day and your new "best friend" will be dead.

A dog might be good to get a potential burglar to decide to rob next door rather than your place. In this instance I don't think it would be effective, just gives her an opportunity to score more points.

Advise please.

She went to the police, who could not help her.  My car was in her name, paid for by yours truly. Through my lawyer, she was offered a good settlment, but refused.

I'm sure there is nothing she can do to stitch me up, but I thought I may be missing something.  ( I know I'm missing the car)

In your valued opinions. Is there anything more she can do, other than cancel the electric.  :o

My opinion would be to get a second opinion from another lawyer, preferably in Bangkok, not local! I understand injunctions are possible in Thailand although there is a culture of police intervention. Can't say I'm impressed by your current lawyer's action so far :D

It is unclear if you were granted a lease on the house, which is in your wife's name; or if you were granted a lease on the land and built your own house. Did your lawyer draw up the terms of the lease and are you liable to pay an economic or peppercorn rent? Also does the terms of the lease allow for sub letting or disposal? It's a bit bureaucratic, but not that expensive to change the name on power/water supplies.

Three years is a long time divorced, and you have got on with your life and found happiness again. It seems strange to me that suddenly she just turns up demanding rent????

What advice is your lawyer giving you? Take it. And move out.

As I said, she has been living in England for quite some time. Probably made a new life for herself. She may just be home on holiday and decided to try for money. I have no intention of moving, and if I hear from her again, I will approach my lawyer, who set it all up. In the past, he assured me she has no claim on me. The letter she wrote was on a scrap of paper with no forwarding address, so she obviously doesn't want me writing to her mums. It's a two tier family. Her sister lives in Chantiburi, where the car went, and her mother and sisters live in Udon. They are ok. They know it was all her fault, and I suspect, have little sympathy with her. But, family is family. The dog is a good idea. I will get onevery soon. Believe me, if she had any claimto my house, she would have done it by now. At the time, she tried every avenue and failed. The house is mine for 30 years and maybe 30 years more. I can Will the lease to my next of kin. This I have checked. If it works any other way, there is no law in Thailand to help farangs. No wonder they smile a lot. :o

I had a huge arguement with some people last week, and this is what I nearly did.....

1. Remove everything of value from the house.

2. Get in a Truck and a building crew and remove (demolish) the house removing all the timber, window frames wiring etc. All of this can be sold.

3. Demolish the remainder of the house.

Move on with your life, I know its sad, but if you don't amicably solve the problem, you will be looking over your shoulder for a long time.

Do you really want your new baby and partner with this problem ?

Advise please.

In your valued opinions. Is there anything more she can do, other than cancel the electric.   :o

My opinion would be to get a second opinion from another lawyer, preferably in Bangkok, not local! I understand injunctions are possible in Thailand although there is a culture of police intervention. Can't say I'm impressed by your current lawyer's action so far :D

It is unclear if you were granted a lease on the house, which is in your wife's name; or if you were granted a lease on the land and built your own house. Did your lawyer draw up the terms of the lease and are you liable to pay an economic or peppercorn rent? Also does the terms of the lease allow for sub letting or disposal? It's a bit bureaucratic, but not that expensive to change the name on power/water supplies.

My lawyer has his main office in Bangkok. The lease was fictionally paid with a one off payment to my wife, for the duration of the lease. Agreed by her and signed. She and I signed every sheet of paper, and there were many.

I am not worried about losing my home to her. I don't think she would do anything outside the law. Remember, the car was taken with the help of the police. They were lucky heads didn't roll then, after my lawyer threatened to contact Bangkok if they didn't change the report.

However, it's all in the laps of the gods. I will keep you informed of events

ps. I want to be cremated.

I had a huge arguement with some people last week, and this is what I nearly did.....

1. Remove everything of value from the house.

2. Get in a Truck and a building crew and remove (demolish) the house removing all the timber, window frames wiring etc. All of this can be sold.

3. Demolish the remainder of the house.

Move on with your life, I know its sad, but if you don't amicably solve the problem, you will be looking over your shoulder for a long time.

Do you really want your new baby and partner with this problem ?

I've seen where that has happened... two neighbours in the village had a really big fall out, so the one lot just took everything they could re-use from the house and half demolished the rest. Moved to another plot of land and rebuilt.. :D

Oh... and they were from the same family.. :o

totster :D

A good point, explorer. Thanks. I live in a predominantly Thai soi. No matter how wondeful they say the Thais are, their allegiance is still with their own. I never had any help over the car.

Why are you getting married again ? I hear so many horror stories about Thai wives , what about other Asian wives .

Why are you getting married again ? I hear so many horror stories about Thai wives , what about other Asian wives .

Is it easy enough to find "other asian" wives in Thailand? Or is Thailand "mostly" full of Thais? :o

She may view the house as the settlement, even though she's not on any of the paper.

If things get to uncomfortable or escalate, might not the easiest solution be to simply move ?

Don't know how much you have tied up in the place but peace of mind may be just as valuable,

Anyway, good luck :o