Children Under 18 To Face Curfew In Bangkok

webfact

It might sound overly protective to impose a curfew on the kids, but to some extent the measure is needed. It is for their own sake; for their own safety as well as preventing them from causing a public nuisance after dark. Most importantly, I don't think it's sensible for Thai children to venture out after dusk since nowadays the city and other big Thai provinces seem to be saturated with sick-minded farangs who seek to prey on minors.

ahhh.,., so it's farangs fault that these minors are out there after 10 pm. now it makes sense. :blink:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least it's only 'children under 18.' Children over 18 aren't being inconvenienced.

So, when do stop being a child in Thailand? It certainly isn't when you learn to ride a motorbike, conceive or buy your first ya-ba tablets.

It seems it also isn't when you kill 9 in a traffic slaughter aged 16 driving a car without licence or insurance. Just the approval of Mom and Dad, being achild that is.

Justified reasons. For example, 'I'm going out' that means OK you can leave home. But then the smart Police may ask why? Best answers would be to explain you study astrology and the course starts at 11. Either the big word will propel the Police not to lose face or they'll nod approvingly while casting a knowing eye skywards.

If only they would do something about the children over 18; the ones who play with guns and wear not school uniforms but those Police ones.

begin removed ...

it is ridiculous as is the fact that the corrupt Abhisit government already been found guilty for taking a few hundred million to much in party contributions still has not been gotten out of power. Shooting 88 people , err, terrorists I mean

... end removed

I'm also very sorry you like to be so rude about Thailand. Especially sorry you seem to like telling lies.

1. The Abhisit government has not been found guilty of taking a few hundred millions of baht. The case against the Democrats you might refer to was dismissed in court.

2. The government didn't shoot 88 people, not even the army shot 88 people. You seem to forget the police/army personel killed by grenade attacks, the lady at BTS Saladaeng, etc. who are included in the total tally of 90/91.

Now back to the real topic here "Children under 18 to face curfew"

Edited by rubl

I have no statistics on this, but doubt criminal cases against 17-or-less old children committed by farang are only a very minor part of all crimes against children. Most is 'Thai only' business. Mind you the new curfew is also meant to combat crimes by children.

PS to be sure, in no way do I want to defend 'sick-minded' farang, neither sick-minded Thai.

I hate it when I make a mistake like this. I hope all understand 'doubt ... are only a very minor part' should be 'doubt ... are more than a very minor part'

So you've adjusted a guess that you admit you don't have statistics for

to be another, apparent unfounded guess. I applaud your diligence.

That groups of kids can hang around everywhere, and do everything as long as they are not getting caught in something currently illegal?

Imagine if someone exchanged the word 'kids' with 'foreigner' and you will see why, yes, that is exactly how it should be...people are allowed to 'hang around' as long as they are not doing something illegal.

Fascism is only fun when it happens to others, eh?

How did you manage to morph something that will apply only to minors

into some weird statement about fascism? An even better question

is why would you do that?

Were you a victim of parental fascism in your formative years, perhaps?

That groups of kids can hang around everywhere, and do everything as long as they are not getting caught in something currently illegal?

Imagine if someone exchanged the word 'kids' with 'foreigner' and you will see why, yes, that is exactly how it should be...people are allowed to 'hang around' as long as they are not doing something illegal.

I am against corporal punishment, discrimination or other actions from the government based on age, gender, race, religion or sexual allegiance.

I love this part of the article:

Wallop also pointed out that it would be very sensitive if police conducted body searches on girls or took them to police stations for unclear reasons.

Either it's true and Thailand is a shame

or

not true and the sentence is insulting against officers.

Ask girls or women around you how police treat them.

A few years back my gf and friends was playing cards - no money involved - and had the room raided.

The officer asked if they [the women] wanted to go to the cold room [short-time motel] and warm room [jail].

They all opted for the latter since they knew they had done nothing illegal - but they all had to spend the night in a cell anyway before being released without charges the next morning.

I heard of similar extortion-like experiences from a working gal who was caught in a sweep.

Just today my GF told me that police were extorting 1000 THB/Day from one of her working GFs on Sukumvit Soi 3.

But how does one get a room 'raided'? It couldn't have been a random raid or could it have been (scary thought).

There must have been more to trigger the raid and they must not have found what they were looking for?

Makes me wonder what the laws are for unreasonable search are in Thailand ... do I hear snickers ... guffaws ...?

I have no statistics on this, but doubt criminal cases against 17-or-less old children committed by farang are only a very minor part of all crimes against children. Most is 'Thai only' business. Mind you the new curfew is also meant to combat crimes by children.

PS to be sure, in no way do I want to defend 'sick-minded' farang, neither sick-minded Thai.

I hate it when I make a mistake like this. I hope all understand 'doubt ... are only a very minor part' should be 'doubt ... are more than a very minor part'

So you've adjusted a guess that you admit you don't have statistics for

to be another, apparent unfounded guess. I applaud your diligence.

Very astute observation, dear mazeltov. You might even have added that you applaud my honesty for correcting something I myself think a mistake. Apart from that did you read my signature, that funny part always at the end, something like IMHO ?

(edit: add: anything substantial you'd like to remark on my post, or only what you already wrote?)

Edited by rubl

Curfew must not impinge on children's rights: NHRC

By The Nation

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is calling on the police to consult all relevant parties before enforcing a newly announced measure to prevent young people under the age of 18 from staying out late.

"The measure concerns both the welfare and liberty of young people," NHRC commissioner Visa Benjamano said yesterday.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau recently decided to stop children staying out after 10pm without a sound reason.

Visa said the authorities should first take into account the social and economic conditions in the capital that are keeping many children outside after 10pm.

"Some children might have some errands to tend to or might be on their way home," she said, adding that police should first listen to the opinions of youngsters, parents and people working for children's causes before implementing the measure.

"Police should also carefully consider relevant laws," Visa added.

She said psychologists and social workers should be present when youngsters are detained for being outside beyond the 10pm deadline.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano said the measure was in line with relevant laws, namely the Children Protection Act. He said that if children were found straying outside late at night, they would be taken to a police station and their parents alerted.

"If they are caught for a second time, their parents will be punished too," he said, adding that parents could face up to three months in jail or a maximum fine of Bt20,000.

Amnuay said those worried about the measure could call (081) 612 5640 around the clock for details.

"We are not limiting children's rights, we are protecting them," he said.

This measure is part of the government's plan to cut crime by 20 per cent in six months.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that the police would mainly focus on Internet cafes, which were off-limits to children late at night anyway. He said the government would also rely on privately owned security cameras, as well as volunteers and patrol policemen, in a bid to tackle crime.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-15

If reducing the crime rate is the main purpose of this project of law, perhaps the police should consider extending the curfew to adult, after all, most crimes are committed by adults.

And while we are at it, start the curfew at 6 PM. Or as soon as the sun has set. Coming to think of it, extend the curfew to 24h per day!

Only one small problem: What about the Constitutional Rights of all (minors and adults) to move about freely? What about the civil right?

Thailand, the land of the Frees? Yeah, right!

All we need is the Police to tell us what is good for us. As if they care. But what an opportunity for ... oops! :whistling:

Great in theory, but fraught with problems and inconsistencies in the real world.

I agree, fraught with problems from stem to stern.

If youngsters want to be bad, they're not going to let a threat of possibly being interrogated on a street corner deter them.

The deeper issue, is the upbringing and influences upon children in this society. Influences from the parents, the TV stars, politicians, videos, magazine ads. All are hypocritical, and all condone corruption and the sacrosant concept, in Thailand, that image counts for more than substance.

Another problem is trusting the cops to do the right thing in such scenarios, where they're trying to control or stifle the activities of young men and women just a few years younger than the cops are themselves. Scenarios rife for abuse. Don't be surprised if, as a result of this legislation, there's an uptick in beatings and rapes. I'll let you guess who the perpetrators will most likely be.

There's a recent news item about Religious Police in some Middle East country. They find a young woman out in public who is not chaperoned by a male member of her family. What do the police do to discipline her? You guessed it, they gang rape her. Probably the tip of the proverbial iceberg in them parts, as very few young women would make a such a claim publicly - for fear of being ostracized for life (or worse).

cannot be possibley be enforced without a major draw on already lacking police manpower.

I've never had the impression that the police are lacking manpower. IMHO, there are actually too many of them, in all the wrong places. If they actually tried enforcing the law for a change, instead of letting all the real criminals off so as to line their pockets - and if they turned their attention away from their favourite hobby of fleecing motorists and exacerbating Bangkok's traffic problems with their many and badly placed roadblocks - perhaps Bangkok would be a safer place to be and innocent youths can exercise their right to freedom at any time of the day or night.

Another TiT story, just when you thought you'd heard it all.

What time of night was that van crash that killed all those folks by the 16 year old? this new law could add one more rule not enforced (no license/speeding/driving under age) due to the persons high status.

Besides they do such a bang up job enforcing all the other laws here.....

cannot be possibley be enforced without a major draw on already lacking police manpower.

I've never had the impression that the police are lacking manpower. IMHO, there are actually too many of them, in all the wrong places. If they actually tried enforcing the law for a change, instead of letting all the real criminals off so as to line their pockets - and if they turned their attention away from their favourite hobby of fleecing motorists and exacerbating Bangkok's traffic problems with their many and badly placed roadblocks - perhaps Bangkok would be a safer place to be and innocent youths can exercise their right to freedom at any time of the day or night.

Another TiT story, just when you thought you'd heard it all.

Yes. I do agree. Maybe I should have added the word 'QUALITY' infront of police manpower. Maybe that would be a better way of putting it.:)

But how does one get a room 'raided'? It couldn't have been a random raid or could it have been (scary thought).

There must have been more to trigger the raid and they must not have found what they were looking for?

Makes me wonder what the laws are for unreasonable search are in Thailand ... do I hear snickers ... guffaws ...?

They were playing cards in an apartment building and someone saw it as they had the door open. 'No money involved, nothing to hide' etc...sadly, that logic doesn't work WHEN the cops have been called...and the accused are attractive women.

Then again, during the past week the 60-100 police-man raids have done many raids on apartments without any warrants, as they are not needed here to the same extent as in the US etc. A mere suspicion is enough. Here the police can stop and check your clothes, in your underwear etc on a whim...no '4th amendment'.

begin removed ...

it is ridiculous as is the fact that the corrupt Abhisit government already been found guilty for taking a few hundred million to much in party contributions still has not been gotten out of power. Shooting 88 people , err, terrorists I mean

... end removed

I'm also very sorry you like to be so rude about Thailand. Especially sorry you seem to like telling lies.

1. The Abhisit government has not been found guilty of taking a few hundred millions of baht. The case against the Democrats you might refer to was dismissed in court.

2. The government didn't shoot 88 people, not even the army shot 88 people. You seem to forget the police/army personel killed by grenade attacks, the lady at BTS Saladaeng, etc. who are included in the total tally of 90/91.

1) I was there -- and there were certainly people getting shot. We must have been shooting ourselves, us silly prai. 2) Of course it was dismissed in court.

I think the guy's trying to make a statement, not a factual argument. Lies? Read up on your Thai history, or read something not published by the state.

Edited by llopatka

begin removed ...

... end removed

1) I was there -- and there were certainly people getting shot. We must have been shooting ourselves, us silly prai. 2) Of course it was dismissed in court.

I think the guy's trying to make a statement, not a factual argument. Lies? Read up on your Thai history, or read something not published by the state.

A statement phrased as "it's a fact" is indeed not a 'factual argument', it's presented as 'fact'. The guy was saying 'a fact' which happened to be an incorrect 'fact' in the sense that it wasn't true. That type of statement is also called a lie or even inflammatory depending on context.

So, to sum up the facts:

- the Abhisit government has not been found guilty of taking a few hundred million too much in party contributions. Not even the Democrats who were accused have not been found guilty.

- the government has not shot 88 people. During the April - May protests a total of 90 people have died. A larger portion probably killed by army forces trying to clear th area and who 'exchanged gunfile' with 'unarmed' protesters. Amongst the total tally there are army/police personel and other innocent bystanders.

Read up on this, even non-state published article will confirm this. Check NewMandala for instance.

Now back to "curfew for under-18yo's"

again the rich against the poor. the students who can afford to go to tuition classes (and have spare cash from mummy and daddy to buy cigarettes, booze and the odd gram of cheap powder) will be free, but the poorer kids will be picked up. same old.

Same old song and dance

This law has been dusted off a few times before in the past and did not get anywhere.

Police is under staffed

Some kids are allowed out after 10 pm (usually the rich ones and the ones with famous family names).

There is only one way – ALL kids under 18 off the street by 10pm. And that will never happen in Thailand.

So let’s forget about this BS.

Tis the season for tea money

folly laa a la, folly la la

This is a reaction to the gang attacks lately, they have little other ability to slow down gang doings.

At the same time tea money goes up to prevent those long term 'public records of crime' to stay put.

Besides the general lack of enforceability the selective enforceability possibilities are staggering. A catch-all law to deal with anyone under age after 10 pm... till when? So you work a job at 7am, 30km away and must get the 1-2 hour bus at 5 am and walk to the bus... So... are you breaking the law? Don't tell me the under 18 don't work in Big Mango.

But lets not blame to government out of hand, this is some police big wig attempting to be 'pro-active', without thinking it through, and just sending out a press release. Too many irate hi-so parents in his face after the last month of student violence.

Edited by animatic

UPDATE

10PM curfew for youths win support

By YOSSAWADEE HONGTHONG,

KASEM CHANATHINART

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

The chairman of the House panel on police affairs has backed a police proposal to prevent children under 18 from staying out after 10pm without a sound reason.

Many children also voiced support for the measure.

Satit Pitu-techa, who is a Democrat executive, said yesterday he supported the move, as he felt it wasn't right for youths to be out after 10pm doing things without their parents.

"Juvenile courts have reported that 80-90 per cent of minor violations of laws occur after 10pm," he said.

Satit said MPs would keep an eye to ensure police enforced the curfew effectively, as people were probably worried about enforcement and any improper actions.

Jutamat Sonpanao, a youth council member in Muang district in Nakhon Ratchasima, said the juvenile curfew was a good idea as it would help stop youngsters doing anything wrong.

She said friends who had been detained in remand homes, kicked out of school or got pregnant prematurely had stayed out at night and done improper or bad things.

However, the girl said she wanted police to be flexible, for example when they found groups of young people meeting somewhere. They should ask and consider if they had a sound reason before taking them to a police station and alerting their parents.

Natnapa Hemruang, a student in Ranong province, said she wanted the measure to be enforced countrywide, not only in the capital.

"Currently, teenagers behave badly. The measure will help control them and prevent crimes. If they need to travel at night, their parents can accompany them," Natnapa said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-16

I am against corporal punishment, discrimination or other actions from the government based on age, gender, race, religion or sexual allegiance.

but not political leanings???

Mandates come and go in Thailand as often as chromosome shaped fried dough bits.

Several years ago there was a mandate that all trucks hauling produce in to the city must be stopped and inspected - to see whether their veges/fruits had too much chemi (pesticides/herbicides). Only one truck was inspected, then the program was scrapped. Similar short-lived mandates for cleaning up trash at parks and beaches. So it goes, in canary-like attention spans found in Thailand.

My God, you are a typical Red shirt aren't you?

I thought I included all the usual groups [as many laws include] to make a point, but seemingly a person could misinterpret a failure to list everything in the world as an exclusion instead of getting the principle.

Ok, so here goes: I also include, but not limit, my reservation against corporal punishment, discrimination and other actions from the government on individuals based on their political stance, economical status, colors of their socks, if they like or dislike tea, the positions of the stars in the sky and whether the individual posts troll-posts.

My God, you are a typical Red shirt aren't you?

I thought I included all the usual groups [as many laws include] to make a point, but seemingly a person could misinterpret a failure to list everything in the world as an exclusion instead of getting the principle.

Ok, so here goes: I also include, but not limit, my reservation against corporal punishment, discrimination and other actions from the government on individuals based on their political stance, economical status, colors of their socks, if they like or dislike tea, the positions of the stars in the sky and whether the individual posts troll-posts.

What is a typical red shirt, since you accuse me of not only being a red shirt, but a typical one at that, I would love you to explain further as to what you think a red shirt is, and then go one step further and tell us what a typical red shirt is.

Oh by the way, I am not a red shirt so I fail to see how I could possibly be a typical one, I am however very much agaisnt this current puppet regime, that does not make me a red shirt however. Get your facts straight before you try the insults, there's a good boy.