Help Installing Windows ? Only Dos On Machine

CharlieH

Can anyone help please ? just bought a netbook, it only has Dos on it, and have no clue how to get windows installed onto it, could someone give me a step by step guide please ?

I was hoping the instruction book would be dual Thai/English but its pure Thai.

I have a DVD attached with the windows disc in, but dont know how to get it started to load the windows program.All I have is the flashing C:/

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CharlieH

You need to get it to boot from the DVD.

Enter the BIOS (there should be a 'press xyz for setup' message appears during the boot period)

Set boot order to external / USB or something similar (exactly what depends upon your BIOS)

Re-start and when it boots from the DVD follow the prompts :)

You need to get it to boot from the DVD.

Enter the BIOS (there should be a 'press xyz for setup' message appears during the boot period)

Set boot order to external / USB or something similar (exactly what depends upon your BIOS)

Re-start and when it boots from the DVD follow the prompts :)

Crossy: appreciate the prompt reply, there is no boot period as such it goes straight to the flashing cursor, no options nothing. I too was hoping for the bios option but it doesnt seem to have it ot atleast i dont see it.:(

Update: Ok I got into the bios by pressing Esc. key during start-up, added the boot via USB/cd and re-started the machine.....nothing just back to the flashing cursor :)

Edited by CharlieH

Can anyone help please ? just bought a netbook, it only has Dos on it, and have no clue how to get windows installed onto it, could someone give me a step by step guide please ?

1. How to Set BIOS to Boot from CD/DVD

2. BlackViper's Operating System Guides:

- Windows 7

- Windows Vista

- Windows XP Home | Professional

Edited by Supernova

I would just go back to seller with the Windows 7 and ask them to install it if not far out of the way. They should be willing to do.

I agree.

The OP probably does not have the netbook drivers (they will be different for different versions of Windows) and it appears he/she is not have enough.knowledge to even attempt to install Windows.

If the seller is not local any other computer shop can do it for a very small fee (if he/she purchased Windows) . It's just not worth the hassle.

I also believe the OP mentioned he/she bought just a netbook and not with Windows preinstalled. It was sold without Windows and therefore only has Dos. The OP will have to purchase Windows. When he/she purchases Windows, the seller should install it.

Edited by BB1950

Make and model number of Netbook?

First of all thanks to everyone for the support and help.

The problem was that although I bought NEW equipment and assumed that because it was new etc .......anyway turms out the stand alone DVD/CD player was useless !! ...the little light was flashing etc and looked like it was working but wasnt in reality.

Changed the player, and hey presto everything went as it should and everything is installed etc. Just goes to show once again that in Thailand DONT ASSUME anything should work just because its new !......oh well, been here long enough to know that by now, but hey, guess we all get caught out from time to time.....:)

Thanks again ALL

Edited by CharlieH

Make and model number of Netbook?

First of all thanks to everyone for the support and help.

The problem was that although I bought NEW equipment and assumed that because it was new etc .......anyway turms out the stand alone DVD/CD player was useless !! ...the little light was flashing etc and looked like it was working but wasnt in reality.

Changed the player, and hey presto everything went as it should and everything is installed etc. Just goes to show once again that in Thailand DONT ASSUME anything should work just because its new !......oh well, been here long enough to know that by now, but hey, guess we all get caught out from time to time.....:)

Thanks again ALL

Infant mortality is a common thing in electronics. I never assume, even here in the US, that everything will work from the first turn on. 90 days is a good yard stick of when comfort can set in.