Atm'S With High Allowed Withdrawals?

I'm in Chiang Mai.

I've used my Credit Union Debit Card a few times as my bank refunds the ATM fee.

I've noticed the irritating 150 baht fee seems to be the same if I withdraw $100US in Baht, or $300. The higher the allowed withdrawal, the lower the % the 150 baht "Banking Institute Fee" will be.

Are there any ATMS that allow more than 10,000 Baht? If so which one's and what is the maximum Baht withdrawal allowed?

I'm fearful of the oft suggested AEON (spelling) because there are waaaaaaaaay too many horror stories with that one.

Thanks.

Generally, Thai bank ATM machines can despense a maximum of 20 or 25 bills per transaction (because of the mechanicals of the machine). Therefore, the maximum amount of baht that can be despensed at one time (for a single B150 fee) is 20k or 25k baht. This is different than the maximium daily withdrawl limit (using multiple withdrawals and the B150 fee per transaction) with can be multiples of this amount.

Generally, Thai bank ATM machines can despense a maximum of 20 or 25 bills per transaction (because of the mechanicals of the machine). Therefore, the maximum amount of baht that can be despensed at one time (for a single B150 fee) is 20k or 25k baht. This is different than the maximium daily withdrawl limit (using multiple withdrawals and the B150 fee per transaction) with can be multiples of this amount.

There are a few machines in my area of Bangkok (at gas stations) that limit the max withdrawal to 12,500 baht for whatever reason. You can even do a 12.5K withdrawal and then turn around and do another one...I've done it before...you get twelve 1000 baht bills and one 500 baht bill. Has nothing to do with my personal limit as I sometimes withdraw 25K per transaction from other machines. It just those particular machines...probably a security issue as if a person, who could be crook, just wouldn't put the card in multiple times to drain an account. Then again, maybe the banks don't refill these particular machines as often and hope a 12.5K limit per tranaction will slow down the machine from going empty before the next schedule refill.

my daily cash withdrawal limit at ATMs with a KBANK Visa Electron card is B200,000 (regular KBANK ATM cards daily limit is B50,000)

but you can change the limits to a lower amounts (to control ATM withdrawals) or higher amounts if you started off with a lower limit, by calling K-Contact center at 02-2888-8888

however, per time cash withdrawal limits at a particular ATM seem to be B25,000...so you have to re-insert the card in the ATM several times if you need a lot of cash....

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/ServicesChannel/SearchServiceChannel/ElectronicMachines/Pages/KATM.aspx

Edited by Raptor7

HSBC ATM, unfortunately there's only one in Bkk, has a per time limit of 40k despite my personal daily limit being higher.

Similar to other posters, my other Bangkok Bank and K-Bank limits are higher than the per time limits however main (or sometimes "home") branch ATMs seem to allow 30k.

You need to distinguish between your card daily limit (assigned by your bank) and the ATM transaction limit which is constrained by the number of notes it can push out the dispenser at any one time. A machine pushing 12,500 bt means there are no 1,000 bt notes in the machine and the largest denomination remaining is 500bt. BBK Bank ATMs do a max of 25 notes. BKK Bank cards can be authorised to withdraw up to 200k per day depending on the card type - but obviously this is not a single transaction.

I am not sure if everyone is missing the point or maybe it is me when I draw from UK on ATM in Thailand my limit in the the UK is 300 pounds and this has to cover the 150 baht charge, at the present moment because of present exchange rates my max is around 13,500 baht. + 150 baht :angry:

Edited by Kwasaki

You need to distinguish between your card daily limit (assigned by your bank) and the ATM transaction limit which is constrained by the number of notes it can push out the dispenser at any one time. A machine pushing 12,500 bt means there are no 1,000 bt notes in the machine and the largest denomination remaining is 500bt. BBK Bank ATMs do a max of 25 notes. BKK Bank cards can be authorized to withdraw up to 200k per day depending on the card type - but obviously this is not a single transaction.

How come I have gotten 12,500 from a Bangkok Bank ATM machine "in twelve 1000 baht notes and one 500 baht note" after I tried to enter a higher amount of 20,000, was told I would have to enter a lower amount due to a 12.5K transaction limit, I then entered the lower 12.5K amount, and then got the twelve 1000 baht bills and one 500 baht bill? Then, I could turn right around a second later and do a second transaction on the same machine to get another 12.5K from the same machine in twelve 1000 baht bills and one 500 baht bill. And sometimes I've only entered & got another 7.5K in a second transaction a minute later (in seven 1000 baht bills and one 500 baht bill), just so I could get the original total amount I wanted which was 20K. Then on the same day, sometimes just a few hours later, all withdrawals during daylight hours, I go to another Bangkok Bank ATM machine and can get 25K on a single transaction. No, I think this machine just has a 12.5K limit per withdrawal for whatever reason....and there are more machines out there that have limits also.

As mentioned earlier this machine is located at a large gas station not to far from where I live here in western Bangkok, I use it several times a month, and it been this way for at least the last several months since I started using it occassionally...most withdrawals have been around mid day. For whatever reason, there are some machines out there in certain locations that have limits per transaction regardless of the individual's limit. Personally, I have only run across a few of these machines usually in gas stations across the country and I'm pretty sure it was not due to low cash in the machine but due to a machine tranaction limit, whether the machine is full of cash or almost empty and even if a person's limit is much higher. But I expect most people's problems in being able to get more than a certain amount per transaction or per day is set limits on their account versus a limitation with or available cash in a particular ATM machine.

wrong....

scb, k bank, etc 20,000

bangkok bank 25,000

UOB 30,000

aeon 40,000

I am not sure if everyone is missing the point or maybe it is me when I draw from UK on ATM in Thailand my limit in the the UK is 300 pounds and this has to cover the 150 baht charge, at the present moment because of present exchange rates my max is around 13,500 baht. + 150 baht :angry:

i have same limit on HSBC but i can get 14,000 from Aeon machines and no fee

Yes it depends on your Uk banks daily withdrawel limit and the machines(banks) maximum as well..Never had a problem with Aeon atm's will give me 23,000 a day and no charge.the rate is the same as other banks here as well or as good....But I would say that the HSBC is terrible for making mistakes on my account thats the UK oh yes and the thai one as well...Too many to list....

Yup ^^^, Bangkok Bank machines tend to allow 25 notes a pop, so that's 25,000 Baht.

What's your daily card limit?

One trillion US$, Ben Bernanke's a friend of mine...hehe..., actually I have no clue as to what my daily limit is since it's a debit card linked to a bank in America.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I hear lots of good stuff about Aeon, and lot's of horror stories, but since people are usually more vocal about the horror stories I just may try it... does anyone know if there is an Aeon (am I spelling that right?) in Chiang Mai?

Even doing 25k brings the onerous 150baht fee down to 1/2% which is sorta ok...

Yup ^^^, Bangkok Bank machines tend to allow 25 notes a pop, so that's 25,000 Baht.

One trillion US$, Ben Bernanke's a friend of mine...hehe..., actually I have no clue as to what my daily limit is since it's a debit card linked to a bank in America.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I hear lots of good stuff about Aeon, and lot's of horror stories, but since people are usually more vocal about the horror stories I just may try it... does anyone know if there is an Aeon (am I spelling that right?) in Chiang Mai?

I've never read or heard of a horror story with AEON. I use it somewhat regularly. I also hhave no problem withdrawing 25,000B at any Bangkok Bank ATM. All of my fees are reimbursed by by Schwab card. Any other restrictions are on your bank's side.

AEON machines are at Airport Plaza and both Tesco's. Not sure of other locations.

Edited by el jefe

Some of the posters talking above about the withdrawal limits of their Thai bank cards seem to be missing the question of the OP, who clearly indicated he was using a U.S. credit union debit card for his ATM withdrawals.

I've been using the AEON, no fee ATMs almost exclusively for the past two years, and never had my card swallowed or an incorrect withdrawal made... That said, others have at times reported experiencing those kinds of problems in other threads here... Whether they are any more or less trouble-prone than any bank's ATMs, I think it's pretty hard to say. AEON ATMs do have stickers with phone numbers to call in the event of any problem.

As another poster said above, I do also believe that AEON ATMs have a somewhat higher per transaction withdrawal limit than regular Thai bank ATMs, though I myself don't think I've ever tried to pull more than 25,000 baht in one transaction. But at least, they have that nice feature in addition to being fee-free, at least for the time being... (PS..those higher amounts are not obtained thru the withdrawal menu that shows various preset withdrawal amounts, but instead by choosing "Other" and then manually keying in on the number pad the amount you desire).

I should note, another TV member reported in a different thread here being told by an AEON office staffer last fall that AEON was going to begin charging the 150 baht fee.. Obviously, they have not done so yet, and some months have passed since then... So who knows for the future.. Right now, still no fee.

And, as another poster also said above, there are some U.S. banks and credit unions that provide foreign (international) ATM fee reimbursements, either in full or up to some set $ limit per month, perhaps the best known of those being (Charles) Schwab Bank and their Investors Checking Account.

Lastly, just to recap, there are always going to be TWO different limits that pertain to any ATM withdrawal...

1. the daily ATM withdrawal limit placed on your card by your home country bank, typically defaulted to $500 or so.

2. the per transaction limit imposed by the Thai bank ATM machine that you're using.

And rarely, if the particular ATM machine involved has run out of 1,000 baht bill such as during a long holiday, then it will start dispensing 500 baht bills instead, meaning you'd be getting only half of the machine's normal withdrawal amount (for example, 25 bills of 500 baht each instead of 1,000 baht each).

Edited by jfchandler

wrong....

scb, k bank, etc 20,000

bangkok bank 25,000

UOB 30,000

aeon 40,000

wrong as well...

It depends on the model of ATM in combination with the bank policy; most banks have a variety of machines and some of the older ones cannot dispense larger volumes of notes.

Spelling is correct. You might also want to bear in mind the pronunciation is quite different from the English spelling. "i-on" with a hard "i" as in "hit".

wrong....

scb, k bank, etc 20,000

bangkok bank 25,000

UOB 30,000

aeon 40,000

wrong as well...

It depends on the model of ATM in combination with the bank policy; most banks have a variety of machines and some of the older ones cannot dispense larger volumes of notes.

Ok, i have named a number of banks and their normal bank policy ATM withdrawal limits

i have travelled all over Thailand and used many thousands of different ATM's over 10 years of residence

i joke that some ATM i use locally know me personally and say hello when i arrive

however, i have used ATMs of banks i have not even heard of in the remotest of areas

i have not yet however come across one that will not give me x20 notes

you should know that, i was the first person on Thai visa to reveal that UOB was not charging 150 baht when the other banks started it

that lasted six months before they caved in, i told TV members that too

also i told TV that you could 30k at one time from UOB

i was also the first person to reveal that Aeon does not charge 150 baht and that 40k was available at one time

Aeon have no plans to charge 150 baht either despite persistent rumors from snippets picked up from bar flies and repeated here

so there's really very little you can tell me about Thai ATM's

i do not keep any more money in Thailand than i really need to, so my life revolves around them

so please justify your accusation and tell us which banks ATM's will not deliver 20 notes if your home bank allows withdrawals of that magnitude

then we will know which ones to avoid

i know all the best ones, so please enlighten me and tell me the worst ones........

Using my US Visa debit card I have a US$500 ATM limit, which means I can withdraw 15,000 thb with the 150 baht fee.

However, I learned that there is no charge if I go in a back and do a withdraw, and the limit is $2500 per day. K-Bank won't let you withdraw that much at one time but SCB does. Takes a bit more time than an ATM but I go in, get my 75,000 thb and don't pay any fees. That saves 450thb for the same amount from ATMs.

Valjean, the method you're referring to is known here as a "counter withdrawal."

And indeed, using foreign debit cards, it is a way of avoiding the 150 baht ATM fee...

There are a couple of limitations, however:

1. There doesn't seem to be any uniform standard among the different Thai banks of how they implement that... Some allow up to amount A to be withdrawn over the counter. Other banks have entirely different limits... So... YMMV...

2. And then, perhaps because the bank staff know they're losing the 150 baht fee, there have been plenty of reports here from TV members going to various bank branches, asking to do a counter withdrawal, and having the counter staff basically refuse and telling them to go outside and use the ATM instead... So once again, YMMV.

PS - The other thing you might have to be careful about is some banks, and I'm thinking of Siam Commercial in this instance, may well use their own lower Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) rate when you do a counter withdrawal with them... as opposed to using the higher VISA/MC network exchange rates used with all ATM transactions involving foreign cards.

Back from a lot of discussions about counter withdrawals when the Thai banks first began imposing the 150 baht ATM fee, Siam Commercial did seem to allow a huge per transaction limit for counter withdrawals... but supposedly...it was because they were happy to make a big profit on such transactions by using their own lower exchange rate.

Using my US Visa debit card I have a US$500 ATM limit, which means I can withdraw 15,000 thb with the 150 baht fee.

However, I learned that there is no charge if I go in a back and do a withdraw, and the limit is $2500 per day. K-Bank won't let you withdraw that much at one time but SCB does. Takes a bit more time than an ATM but I go in, get my 75,000 thb and don't pay any fees. That saves 450thb for the same amount from ATMs.

AEON machines are at Airport Plaza and both Tesco's. Not sure of other locations.

In Chiang Mai there is also an AEON ATM at Carrefour on the first floor at the north end of the lobby on the wall near the escalator.

In the Tesco on Hang Dong Road the AEON office only has a cash deposit machine. I'm not sure if you can make a withdrawal from that kind of machine. Anyone know?

so please justify your accusation and tell us which banks ATM's will not deliver 20 notes if your home bank allows withdrawals of that magnitude

i know all the best ones, so please enlighten me and tell me the worst ones........

The K bank at Tesco Lotus (the one on the Superhigway S/E of Carrefours) only offered me 10k. At my home bank I can take out $800 or more. I suppose it's possible that my home bank has some limit different than when I am in the States, I'll write them and ask. (Update: edited see below)

I wonder if the ATM's at busy places limit amounts more than if I went to a local K bank ATM if only because next to the bank they are easy to refill.

Edit Update: My ATM receipt has at the top a big K ATM, under it it says Excellence, credited by Kbank. But looking at my debit account I see:

THAI FARMERS BA SIAM MAKRO CHIENGMA CHIENGMAI THTH

Perhaps it is the duality of the two banks that has something to do with the low amount I was allowed to withdraw? Seems odd to me that I use a Thai Farmers Bank ATM and get a K bank ATM receipt.

2nd edit: Wow! Looking at my weenie Credit Union account, they reimbursed me for the ATM fee and ALSO the 150 baht fee, crediting my account $4.98 + $1.71 on a 5k baht withdrawal. (I must keep a minimum $2K us to be reimbursed. Apparently this is not a big issue for me with this credit union, though I'd still prefer to understand how all this works, so thank you all for your input.

Edited by jsflynn603

I don't know if this is the reason for the differing views above, but let me at least mention an issue...

When you go to use an ATM here, there are two ways to select what amount of money you want to withdraw...

1. the on-screen ATM menu provided by that particular bank that comes up when you choose "Withdrawal", and usually lists 8 or 10 different preset amounts... 500 or 1000, 2, 3, 5, 10,000 like that...

2. usually a button at the bottom of that same list that says something like "Other", which takes you to another screen where you can use the ATM keypad to key in the amount you want...

Just because the on-screen menu of the ATM may top out at 10,000 (I don't recall seeing on-screen menu amounts any higher than that), that doesn't mean that's the limit of what you can withdraw...

I don't think I've ever seen an onscreen menu that gives a one-button choice to select 25,000... (Remember, Thai folks are the dominant users of these ATMs, not farangs...). But most Thai bank ATMs will allow that amount to be pulled by manually typing in that amount, or 20,000 or whatever...

Up to whatever the maximum number of bills limit is for that particular machine, combined with whatever daily ATM withdrawal limit has been imposed by your home country bank.

The K bank at Tesco Lotus (the one on the Superhigway S/E of Carrefours) only offered me 10k. At my home bank I can take out $800 or more. I suppose it's possible that my home bank has some limit different than when I am in the States, I'll write them and ask. (Update: edited see below)

I wonder if the ATM's at busy places limit amounts more than if I went to a local K bank ATM if only because next to the bank they are easy to refill.

Edit Update: My ATM receipt has at the top a big K ATM, under it it says Excellence, credited by Kbank. But looking at my debit account I see:

THAI FARMERS BA SIAM MAKRO CHIENGMA CHIENGMAI THTH

Perhaps it is the duality of the two banks that has something to do with the low amount I was allowed to withdraw? Seems odd to me that I use a Thai Farmers Bank ATM and get a K bank ATM receipt.

2nd edit: Wow! Looking at my weenie Credit Union account, they reimbursed me for the ATM fee and ALSO the 150 baht fee, crediting my account $4.98 + $1.71 on a 5k baht withdrawal. (I must keep a minimum $2K us to be reimbursed. Apparently this is not a big issue for me with this credit union, though I'd still prefer to understand how all this works, so thank you all for your input.

k bank and thai farmer bank ATM will dispense x20 notes

you need to select OTHER in the amount option list and punch in a 20,000 request manually

if it says it can only give you 10,000 it will only be because it is out of 1000 baht notes so will dispense x20 500 baht notes =10,000

even the most obscure Bank ATM will give x20 notes in one transaction but you may have to manually select the request

it is rarely seen on the fastcash options as its infrequently used on a daily basis

Bangkok bank will give x25 notes

United Overseas Bank will give 30 notes

Aeon will give x40 notes

Edited by timekeeper