What'S The Story On Selling Eggs By Weight?

tartempion

Two nights in a row watched Thai TV news showing eggs will be sold by weight, no longer by piece.

Thus no more 6, 10, 12 or 64 eggs but you pick a bunch and put them on the balance and pay for 100g, 500g, 1 kilo???

GF told me "new idea from Abhisit" :whistling:

Someone knows the details???

Must say I don't get it.

Maybe incentive to start producing Arnold size eggs? super chickens?

So I if I drop a small accidentally I pay 5 baht?

A big one will cost me 8 baht?

seems to me when I go shopping for eggs they are already priced per size?

will this lead to farmers injecting their eggs with a heavy liquid to fatten them up? (see watermelons)

What's this world coming to.:lol:

I think its not a crazy idea. In fact it has been done before you pay different prices for different sizes. Seen it in Holland too. The big eggs cost more per box then the small ones. Sounds normal to me.

yea Rob, guess we will just have to keep an eye out for the lil one's that weigh 3x as much as the big ones. Either full of lead or are pure muscle, no fat. :lol:

Can I have a kilo of eggs please. Has a nice ring to it.

What would like for breakfast sir? I would like 300 grams of boiled eggs and 70 grams of toast, 100ml of coffee and 150 grams of bacon.

You want our 'Dutch Breakfast then'

Call it whatever you want, just make sure it doesnt add up to more than 550 grams all-in.

what's the big hoo-hah? pricing food stuff by weight is normal. nobody buys fish, chicken, steak or pork loin and pays "per piece".

:ph34r:

yes and no Naampla: I walked into foodland a couple days back and asked for two of those rib in pork chops - if I asked for it by weight I doubt the guy would cut one in half for me. :lol:

anything theory for pre-cut stuff kinda fails. But I am sure you already figured that out :ph34r:

Edited by bkkjames

I think its not a crazy idea. In fact it has been done before you pay different prices for different sizes. Seen it in Holland too. The big eggs cost more per box then the small ones. Sounds normal to me.

yea Rob, guess we will just have to keep an eye out for the lil one's that weigh 3x as much as the big ones. Either full of lead or are pure muscle, no fat. :lol:

What would like for breakfast sir? I would like 300 grams of boiled eggs and 70 grams of toast, 100ml of coffee and 150 grams of bacon.

Call it whatever you want, just make sure it doesnt add up to more than 550 grams all-in.

Sure James... sounds like you left your brain at home. For once your remarks could not be more stupid. Its quite normal as others have pointed out to pay per weight.

Your stupidity shows today.

Coffee.. is sold by weight already.. just go to any supermarket.

Bacon sold by weight already.

Why would eggs be any different. Like i said i go to the market here in Thailand often and they already charge more for bigger eggs... duh... even the Thais can figure it out but James can't.

what's the big hoo-hah? pricing food stuff by weight is normal. nobody buys fish, chicken, steak or pork loin and pays "per piece".

:ph34r:

yes and no Naampla: I walked into foodland a couple days back and asked for two of those rib in pork chops - if I asked for it by weight I doubt the guy would cut one in half for me. :lol:

anything theory for pre-cut stuff kinda fails. But I am sure you already figured that out :ph34r:

:D Guess they cant pre cut in certain weight ranges eh James.

Sure James... sounds like you left your brain at home. For once your remarks could not be more stupid. Its quite normal as others have pointed out to pay per weight.

Why would eggs be any different. Like i said i go to the market here in Thailand often and they already charge more for bigger eggs... duh... even the Thais can figure it out but James can't.

My stupidity shows today? Really, not yesterday?

Ok, I will take your word for it. Coffee sold by weight ok great : I can get Blue Mountain for the same price as a lower quality bean if it's the same weight.

My stupidity shows today? Really, not yesterday?

Ok, I will take your word for it. Coffee sold by weight ok great : I can get Blue Mountain for the same price as a lower quality bean if it's the same weight.

Ah James today the more you blab the more stupid you look. Its not like you are you sick.

Yes james 1 Kg of Blue Mountain will be roughly double of 500 grams of it. If there is no discount.

Back to chicken eggs, there are eggs that are of better quality (or so they say) you pay more for. But its not that hard to see that in the same quality scale you can differ by weight.

For all of the years I remember , eggs have been sized and sold by quantity , the larger the egg , the higher the price , but at least you are buying non-adulterated eggs as could be the case as mentioned for mushrooms . Some vendors even 'Modify ' the weight recorded for thier produce etc which over time gives them larger profits , just as when you purchase sand , it is invariably wet . Stick to eggs by size and number , think of the health factor that can be jeapodised by unscrupulous vendors .

For all of the years I remember , eggs have been sized and sold by quantity , the larger the egg , the higher the price , but at least you are buying non-adulterated eggs as could be the case as mentioned for mushrooms . Some vendors even 'Modify ' the weight recorded for thier produce etc which over time gives them larger profits , just as when you purchase sand , it is invariably wet . Stick to eggs by size and number , think of the health factor that can be jeapodised by unscrupulous vendors .

In eggs bigger size usually equals more weight so i don't really see a difference. That is what i mean with its already in use. Its just that people here thought it was a strange idea while in a way its the normal way of doing business. I agree that its easier this way but we are already buying by weight in a way. Its not like eggs that are not equally sized go for the same price.

Thai's living next door used to grow mushrooms, now no one will buy there mushrooms as the where soaking them in water to increase the weight, however this caused them to go bad very quickly.

It seems like all the mushrooms I buy in Bangkok are like this. Without fail after only one day a bunch of black water has leaked out of them made a smelly mess in the fridge.

In eggs bigger size usually equals more weight so i don't really see a difference. That is what i mean with its already in use. Its just that people here thought it was a strange idea while in a way its the normal way of doing business. I agree that its easier this way but we are already buying by weight in a way. Its not like eggs that are not equally sized go for the same price.

Ok Rob: Glad to here that the DHA Eggs will be priced the same as ordinary eggs now that we are going by weight :lol:

Cluck cluck

Ok Rob: Glad to here that the DHA Eggs will be priced the same as ordinary eggs now that we are going by weight :lol:

Cluck cluck

How can you see you are really getting DHA Eggs ? Are you 100% sure your not paying for a scam ? Same with worrying about people adding weight to eggs.. it might happen or not.

Cluck cluck

How can you see you are really getting DHA Eggs ? Are you 100% sure your not paying for a scam ? Same with worrying about people adding weight to eggs.. it might happen or not.

How can I really know if I am getting 'Organic Produce'? If you want to argue< I am here all day mate ;)

Cluck cluck

How can I really know if I am getting 'Organic Produce'? If you want to argue< I am here all day mate ;)

I just brought it up because people said now if it goes by weight people can scam. But organic products and enriched products could be scammed too and they dont worry about that.

Thai's living next door used to grow mushrooms, now no one will buy there mushrooms as the where soaking them in water to increase the weight, however this caused them to go bad very quickly.

They do the same with beer with more water added to the big bottles :D

They do the same with beer with more water added to the big bottles :D

I hope they dont start doing that with bottled water........................or do I ?????

Where I live, we buy sand by the Cubic Metre, not by weight

Where I live, we buy sand by the Cubic Metre, not by weight

Water not only has weight it also has volume.