New Vietnamese Restaurant In San Sai

venturalaw

I'd be interested to know what experience (and if any education) Venturalaw has in the culinary field since he started this thread.

Edited by craigt3365
deleted inserted replies that have been removed from view

I tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to Kelly's one time. I ordered soup to go. Although I was the only customer, it took over a half-hour to get the order. After getting home and tasting it, I threw what remained down the sink. That's why I was happy to find a new Vietnamese restaurant, also in Meechok Plaza, that was quick, reasonably priced, and, at least what I ate, very good. For instance, I like northern sausage and they have the best that I have tasted.

Yes there are people with varying tastes. As I said, I have no interest in the restaurant that is the subject of this thread. I enjoyed the food and since it is new to the location, I started a thread to make it known. If people don't like it that's fine. I don't care.

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why? If I were to venture a guess, it would be because they have no life. They behave in a manner which is consistent with the unfortunate souls that have little or no self-esteem, meandering aimlessly through life believing that by denigrating others they will be viewed as being superior. But obviously, the opposite is true. They are viewed by the majority as weak and pathetic.

You may be right about what you say in your second paragraph. Your problem, venturalaw, is you seem always to make too may assumptions which can not be backed up

People don't "insert themselves into threads" disparagingly to be critical. More likely they are putting their point of view. But if it is different to yours you don't like it.

Your response is to talk of weakness, being pathetic and needing a life, unfortunate souls, lacking self esteem, meandering aimlessly through life, etc etc.

Go for the message and reply with logic or facts; don't go for the poster. You have a knack of defending the indefensible sometimes.

And by the way, if one meanders it must be aimless. The phrase is a nonsense as it stands. If you want to try to be clever with English at least get it right and be original.

I was pointing out that when one argues in a consistently negative manner regarding various topics about which one has little or no experience in the name of 'putting their point of view', it may be indicative of having no purpose in life. Perhaps that was being overly critical.

Not to be overly critical of your error however, but merely for your edification, there is a difference between the words meandering; to proceed by or take a winding or indirect course, and aimless; without aim or purpose. If you require further explanation, send me a PM.

I don't require "edification" thanks but I'll send you a pm to explain tautology, and the use of metaphors as a substitute for using literal English words, which of course have subtle differences in meaning

"aimless meandering " no. not good style. off topic, but you raised it. you wouldn't catch ian forbes making such a gaffe

I tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to Kelly's one time. I ordered soup to go. Although I was the only customer, it took over a half-hour to get the order. After getting home and tasting it, I threw what remained down the sink. That's why I was happy to find a new Vietnamese restaurant, also in Meechok Plaza, that was quick, reasonably priced, and, at least what I ate, very good. For instance, I like northern sausage and they have the best that I have tasted.

Yes there are people with varying tastes. As I said, I have no interest in the restaurant that is the subject of this thread. I enjoyed the food and since it is new to the location, I started a thread to make it known. If people don't like it that's fine. I don't care.

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why? If I were to venture a guess, it would be because they have no life. They behave in a manner which is consistent with the unfortunate souls that have little or no self-esteem, meandering aimlessly through life believing that by denigrating others they will be viewed as being superior. But obviously, the opposite is true. They are viewed by the majority as weak and pathetic.

You may be right about what you say in your second paragraph. Your problem, venturalaw, is you seem always to make too may assumptions which can not be backed up

People don't "insert themselves into threads" disparagingly to be critical. More likely they are putting their point of view. But if it is different to yours you don't like it.

Your response is to talk of weakness, being pathetic and needing a life, unfortunate souls, lacking self esteem, meandering aimlessly through life, etc etc.

Go for the message and reply with logic or facts; don't go for the poster. You have a knack of defending the indefensible sometimes.

And by the way, if one meanders it must be aimless. The phrase is a nonsense as it stands. If you want to try to be clever with English at least get it right and be original.

I was pointing out that when one argues in a consistently negative manner regarding various topics about which one has little or no experience in the name of 'putting their point of view', it may be indicative of having no purpose in life. Perhaps that was being overly critical.

Not to be overly critical of your error however, but merely for your edification, there is a difference between the words meandering; to proceed by or take a winding or indirect course, and aimless; without aim or purpose. If you require further explanation, send me a PM.

I don't require "edification" thanks but I'll send you a pm to explain tautology, and the use of metaphors as a substitute for using literal English words, which of course have subtle differences in meaning

"aimless meandering " no. not good style. off topic, but you raised it. you wouldn't catch ian forbes making such a gaffe

The phrase was "meandering aimlessly" which, true is a metaphor, and in my 'opinion' appropriate. It was not a 'gaffe', or as you previously claimed, 'nonsense as it stands'. I received your PM and it was fortunately absent your explanation of tautology, which would have been quite unnecessary, thank you.

I'd like it if folks using "reply" would not do so if it reprints 42 earlier posts. Copy and paste with attribution works. Also, if those indulging in personal animus from centuries ago would fogeddaboutit? Oh, well, not my bizness.

The merits of these two Vietnamese places will be determined by their sales, for rental units there are not cheap.

I can say one thing about the Vietnamese place next to Kellys (sic). They are honest. Dropped a 100 note and fellow chased me to parking to get it back to me.

Love the English lessons.

Edited by CMX

I'd be interested to know what experience (and if any education) Venturalaw has in the culinary field since he started this thread.

I think most posters are just customers and therefore have different tastes and views about the quality of food.

I agreed with venturalaw on his dislike of one restaurant, having been there myself. Others may disagree.

Having spent some time with a master chef I probably am more critical than others on the standards of some cuisine in Chiangmai. There are some excellent places, there are many that don't reach the grade.

I'd like it if folks using "reply" would not do so if it reprints 42 earlier posts. Copy and paste with attribution works. Also, if those indulging in personal animus from centuries ago would fogeddaboutit? Oh, well, not my bizness.

The merits of these two Vietnamese places will be determined by their sales, for rental units there are not cheap.

I can say one thing about the Vietnamese place next to Kellys (sic). They are honest. Dropped a 100 note and a fellow chased me to the parking lot to get give (?)it back to me.

Completely off topic but replying to you as you raised it..

"Loving English lessons" is apparently very different from actually benefiting from them it seems.

:lol: :lol:

I can say one thing about the Vietnamese place next to Kellys (sic). They are honest. Dropped a 100 note and a fellow chased me to the parking lot to get give (?)it back to me.

Completely off topic but replying to you as you raised it..

"Loving English lessons" is apparently very different from actually benefiting from them it seems.

:lol: :lol:

""aimless meandering " no. not good style. off topic, but you raised it. you wouldn't catch ian forbes making such a gaffe"

Or needing them ! :)

Well, he does not own the competing Vietnamese restaurant, if that is what you are getting at. :D

However, how much "culinary education and experience" must one have to enjoy the food at a particular restaurant. :blink:

You are right for once Ulysses you don't need to be a chef or have culinary experience to necessarily enjoy or appreciate a good meal.

It can sometimes be useful though and enable one to choose a good eatery.

Same as you don't need to be literate to run a book stall, though apparently stalking and inciting and winding up seem to be essentials

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you will note the icons of course

Apology:

I did not make my message clear. For one thing, I'm home with a fever and do not, as suggested by a well-wisher that I do, take medication (except for BP or doc approved).

I never have been able to treat e-mail very seriously - my own, I mean, Frequently, running an eye over is the best it gets.

I often write informally or use slang. My published word in print form, even in a snail-mail personal letter, sits for a bit of editing.

"meandering aimlessly" is NOT tautology, but might be accused of being redundant. On the other hand, in the U.S., we frequently hear or read, "I meandered over to Will's," and the like, indicating intent. We have changed the meander meaning to wander - meander in that way being an expression from the Western U.S. or films, for the sound of it.

I have read as well the expression "meandering aimlessly" used because of this - to underline that chance was involved in having arrived in some place or event.

No matter. Such nit-picking is never any more useful than this point of personal privilege. Guess I'll have to meander upstairs, as soon as I feel better, to the new place for a Vietnamese comparison, looking at new construction as I go - some sign of Hooters, for example. How's that for aimless?

PS I am a very, very, sofisticated food kritic.

Edited by CMX

• 9 months later...

i was looking for pho in their menu but the only thing i found was : Fher Vietnamese Noodle Salad. is it a salad and not the noodle soup thing with either beef or chicken?

I think that's actually closer to an accurate phonetic version of how the soup is pronounced than "pho". For thais, the "r"would be silent so "fher" would rhyme with "her" with a slient "r".

I'm guessing that "fher" is the soup. Maybe it's like thai noodles in that you can have it wet or dry.

i was looking for pho in their menu but the only thing i found was : Fher Vietnamese Noodle Salad. is it a salad and not the noodle soup thing with either beef or chicken?

I think that's actually closer to an accurate phonetic version of how the soup is pronounced than "pho". For thais, the "r"would be silent so "fher" would rhyme with "her" with a slient "r".

I'm guessing that "fher" is the soup. Maybe it's like thai noodles in that you can have it wet or dry.

read some wiki on it right after writing the above message. seems like it pho refers to the noodle kind itself rather than the preparation. but yes it was really weird to pronounce fher when it reads pho.

I was in there about a month ago and pho was on the menu. To tell you the truth it wasn't that good IMO. The Vietnamese place across from Lanna Golf Course serves a much more delicious pho. Again, IMO.

thanks for the ups on the other restaurant near Lanna Golf. will give it a try someday.

OK guys. Calm down. Please stop the back and forth bickering and off topic replies. OK? ;)

Several off topic and bickering posts have been removed from view.

Quite. Chap writes in to tell us about a new place he's found, and straight away it turns into a handbag fight.