The Inveritable E-Dan

T_Dog

One of the most common vehicles you see in Thailand is the E-Dan. You can always tell when one is (slowly) coming your way by the "bhop-bhop-bhop" of the power plant. Anyone know what they use for power? Is it shaft connected or hydraulic PTO?

post-498-0-68602400-1295142958_thumb.jpg

Are you trying to say "Venerable"?

"Ubiquitous"?

Picture doesn't show up in IE7

Boy humor is tough on this forum! Check out the urban slang dictionary. I admit it is a bit twisted. Still curious about those E-Dan vehicles. Wondering if anyone on TV has one.

These are called rot itan. They are normally powered by single cylinder Kubota diesel engines. Most use the 14 horse power size but some use the smaller horse power engines. There are also Chinese copies of the Kubota available. Yanmar also makes a similar engine and are the equal of the Kubota. The Chinese copies are much cheaper but the farmers much prefer the Kubota or Yanmar because they will run for many years with little or no maintenance.

I often follow them heading to the village and the 14 horse powered itan will run about 40 KPH. They use the same engine as the tak taks. A tak tak is the two wheeled tractor used in the rice paddies. They often swap that engine back and forth.

These are called rot itan. They are normally powered by single cylinder Kubota diesel engines. Most use the 14 horse power size but some use the smaller horse power engines. There are also Chinese copies of the Kubota available. Yanmar also makes a similar engine and are the equal of the Kubota. The Chinese copies are much cheaper but the farmers much prefer the Kubota or Yanmar because they will run for many years with little or no maintenance.

I often follow them heading to the village and the 14 horse powered itan will run about 40 KPH. They use the same engine as the tak taks. A tak tak is the two wheeled tractor used in the rice paddies. They often swap that engine back and forth.

Thanks Gary. Is there a hydraulic PTO or is it just belt drive to the tractors and trucks? I'm familiar with the Kubota engine and they do run forever.

Thanks Gary. Is there a hydraulic PTO or is it just belt drive to the tractors and trucks? I'm familiar with the Kubota engine and they do run forever.

The engine is normally connected with a flexible coupling to a cobbled up bell housing and manual clutch. They are built as simple as possible. No hydraulics.