Accurate Translation Needed

MHayward

I wonder if we have any good English/Thai teachers here that can help me with a definitive translation of the Latin expression

''Ut sementem feceris, ita metes''

Which means "You reap what you sow'' or ''you harvest that which you plant, ie you get what you give''

I would like to have it in Thai both written correctly and phonetic versions please.

''Som nam na'' just isnt quite correct and Google Translate is rubbish anyway.

Any good (free) online Thai to English Translators out there, I have only found ones which use the same 'engine' as Google and the Thai to English is shockingly poor.

Many thanks,

MH

Thank You very much, I will try to use that and see how it goes.

The question was actually asked to me by a Thai who saw it as a forum signature i think.

Cheers, MH

ทำดีได้ดี, ทำชั่วได้ชั่ว

tum dee dai dee, tum chua dai chua

all good deeds will be rewarded, no bad deeds go unpunished

Idioms always have their literal translation, and the translation of the spirit of the idiom (a similar idiom in the other language).

The literal translation would be something like (sorry for my poor language skills)

อย่างหว่าน(เมล็ด)แล้ว อย่างนั้นก็จะเกี่ยวเหมือน

ทำดีได้ดี, ทำชั่วได้ชั่ว given by a51mas is a good translation of the spirit of the idiom. It literally translates into something like Do good - receive good; do evil - receive evil.

I found another similar idiom:

รรมใดใครก่อ กรรมนั้นย่อมสนอง

Whatever deed one begins, that very deed inevitably will reciprocate.

Idioms always have their literal translation, and the translation of the spirit of the idiom (a similar idiom in the other language).

The literal translation would be something like (sorry for my poor language skills)

อย่างหว่าน(เมล็ด)แล้ว อย่างนั้นก็จะเกี่ยวเหมือน

ทำดีได้ดี, ทำชั่วได้ชั่ว given by a51mas is a good translation of the spirit of the idiom. It literally translates into something like Do good - receive good; do evil - receive evil.

I found another similar idiom:

รรมใดใครก่อ กรรมนั้นย่อมสนอง

Whatever deed one begins, that very deed inevitably will reciprocate.

Thanks, very much appreciated

MH

A story in my นิทานพื้นบ้านอีสาน tells the story of a wife who kills her mother-in-law by feeding her leeches. She of course lies to her husband by telling him that his mother choked on her sticky rice. แต่อนิจจา กรรมตามสนองลูกสะใภ้ my teacher seemed satisfied with my translation of "but alas, the daughter-in-law got what she deserved (the story continues...at the funeral, the casket stuck to the daughter-in-law's shoulder....no one could get it off, and she subsequently died from suffocation). Lovely story!

I agree, ทำดีได้ดี ทำชั่วได้ชั่ว is the best colloquial interpretation of the phrase.

A more literal interpretation of the phrase would be:

หว่านพืชเช่นใด ย่อมได้ผลเช่นนั้น

Which means "Whatever plant you sow, you must reap its fruit."

This is found in Buddhist teaching:

http://www.baanmaha.com/community/thread32690.html