Register Marriage At Uk Embassy

Hi

I would like to register my marriage at the Uk embassy in BKK.

I am doing this to make it easier to obtain a Schengen visa for the wife.

Does anyone have any info on the fees for doing this at the UK embassy.

I tried a google search and the UK embassy site but couldn't dig up anything on their current fees.

Thanks

There is a discussion about the need for registering the marriage in the UK, given the costs in relation to the benefits. In any case, for a visa it shouldn't be necessary. Getting a certified and translated copy of the Thai wedding certificate should be more than enough and cheaper.

I believe if you want to register the marriage it will be cheaper if you do that in the UK itself.

You don't actually register your marriage at the UK Embassy, because a marriage in Thailand is already legally recognised in the UK, and I suspect throughout the world. What the embassy will do is deposit a copy of the marriage certificate in the General Registry Office in the UK, this means that should you ever lose your certificate you can get a certified copy from the GRO.

There is absolutly no requirement to do so and I doubt if it would make a Schengen Visa any easier to obtain.

They charge 1,850 Baht to forward a copy of the certificate to the GRO.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-marraige1/recording-marriage-uk

You don't actually register your marriage at the UK Embassy, because a marriage in Thailand is already legally recognised in the UK, and I suspect throughout the world. What the embassy will do is deposit a copy of the marriage certificate in the General Registry Office in the UK, this means that should you ever lose your certificate you can get a certified copy from the GRO.

There is absolutly no requirement to do so and I doubt if it would make a Schengen Visa any easier to obtain.

They charge 1,850 Baht to forward a copy of the certificate to the GRO.

http://ukinthailand....ing-marriage-uk

I agree with TOG. There seems to be little, if any, benefit from depositing a copy of your marriage certificate with the Embassy. I have not met anyone who has been able to tell me that they have benefited from this procedure. It does not help with visa applications for any country, as far as I am aware, certainly not for UK or Schengen visas.

Why would registering your Marriage at the British Embassy assist you in getting a Schengen Visa? The Embassies of the countries issuing Schengen Visas would accept a Thai Marriage Certificate, as proof of relationship.

Also the other Embassies are not in contact with the British Embassy when it comes to Visa Applications, so they would not know if it was registered.

Edited by beano2274

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

This is an email i recieved from the Spanish embassy today,

Dear Sir, first of all if you got married in Thailand please bring the Thai Marriage Certificate to the UK Embassy to get a certificate confirming that a civil marriage which takes place in Thailand and is valid under Thai Law would normally recognised as valid under British Law. Or if you got married in the UK, kindly bring a copy of the Marriage Certificate. So, your wife will not have to pay for a visa fee nor does she needs an offical invitation letter from the Police in Spain. Here we have attached a form for you to fill in so your wife can get an appointment to come apply for a visa at the Embassy. What you will need are the following:

From this it seems that i need to get a certificate from the UK embassy.

Edited by robbiecia

Seems that all they are asking for is a letter from the UK, confirming it is recognised. In reality they also recognise the Thai wedding certificate as my friend is married to a Thai, he is Spanish and they accepted it for her visa.

As already said, using the embassy to deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate with the GRO in the UK will not change the legality of your marriage in anyway; as far as the UK is concerned it is already legal. I don't think doing so would gain you the certificate the Spanish require, merely some form of receipt.

Why the Spanish are asking for some form of certificate from the British embassy, I don't know; your marriage is legal in Thailand, the UK and, as Beano says above, Spain!

I've never heard of anyone having to do this when they have married in Thailand and later applied for a Schengen visa for Spain in the UK.

All I can suggest is that you contact the consular section at the British embassy and ask them if they will issue this certificate and how much the fee is.

Contact details.

As already said, using the embassy to deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate with the GRO in the UK will not change the legality of your marriage in anyway; as far as the UK is concerned it is already legal. I don't think doing so would gain you the certificate the Spanish require, merely some form of receipt.

Why the Spanish are asking for some form of certificate from the British embassy, I don't know; your marriage is legal in Thailand, the UK and, as Beano says above, Spain!

I've never heard of anyone having to do this when they have married in Thailand and later applied for a Schengen visa for Spain in the UK.

All I can suggest is that you contact the consular section at the British embassy and ask them if they will issue this certificate and how much the fee is.

Contact details.

Thanks 7by7

I'm waiting for a reply from the spanish embassy on this

What the embassy will do is deposit a copy of the marriage certificate in the General Registry Office in the UK, this means that should you ever lose your certificate you can get a certified copy from the GRO.

The Thai Amphurs won't supply a copy of your marriage certificate if you lose your's. What they give you is a certified photocopy of the page in their marriage register of your marriage. But this isn't recognized by a UK court should you want to get divorced in the UK and have lost your original Thai certificate. So it might be worth depositing a marriage certificate with the CRO, either through the Embassy or back in the UK in case you need an actual marriage certificate, for any reason, in the future.

We just went to Thailand for the divorce at the Amphur, all completed within an hour, and free.

Or keep the two original certificates in a safe place and don't lose them.

Ours are in a fireproof box along with all our other important documents.

NOTHING is safe from an angry wife in the middle of an argument :annoyed: :annoyed: