There Are Good Debates And Then...

IanForbes

There are good debates, weak debates and then there is arguing. I enjoy debates and I always learn something from a good one. But, I don't like arguing. Arguments are started by people with entrenched points of view and who are not open to someone else's view point. And, it doesn't help if one or more of the combatants have been imbibing in alcohol.

By contrast, a good debate can be a lot of fun. Each side has to gather as much knowledge and facts as possible to support their side. It's the other's side to counter the other's view point with facts of their own. I have often taken the side opposite to what I actually believe in just to make it interesting and test my own debating skills.

On thaivisa we seem to get more arguments than debates... just saying

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, a debate is not really an argument, otherwise this expat would be an expert at debating by now...

Many a time would i have spent "debating" to my ex Thai GF that she SHOULD be greatful for any assistance i should provide and offer, which is essentially money for free, without being called a kee-niaw and cheap Charlie.

I pity her current debating partner :whistling:

I like the way you think about this subject: just like me!

Who can argue with that? laugh.gif

For me?

if yes, thank you.

:)

I like a good debate, or argument.

Of course, sometimes I encounter people so good in English that I end up looking through the dictionary all the time to see what the fancy words actually mean.

That's when I know I already lost the debate (arguments).

;)

Professional debaters and lawyers can argue for any position, whether they believe it or not. In other words, that lacks the real passion of belief. At least here, the discussions are based on people's actual passionate point of views. This is better.

Professional debaters and lawyers can argue for any position, whether they believe it or not. In other words, that lacks the real passion of belief. At least here, the discussions are based on people's actual passionate point of views. This is better.

I agree, this is better.

Passionate debates (or arguments) make the blood and adrenaline flowing.

Still, I have a weak spot for court drama movies.

Or movies where it end in court.

Political debates I do not like too much.

For me?

if yes, thank you.

Of course, sometimes I encounter people so good in English that I end up looking through the dictionary all the time to see what the fancy words actually mean.

;)

I could be completely wrong, but I consider a debate to be an intellectual interaction of two or more people that have opposing opinions on a given topic.

An argument, on the other hand, is when opposing opinions elevate to ad hominem insults whereby one person verbally attacks the opponent personally rather than defend their own side with facts.

EG: "Listen you low-life, single-helix, scum-sucking bottom feeder, the sky is BLACK it only appears to be blue during the day due to the refraction of sunlight in the atmosphere"

Most people would not consider that a polite way of debating.

Have to admit Im not that good with the gramatics.

Help me out here please.

The word argument.

Can this word be a verb as well?

Like, "to argument"?

It can also be a verb in Norwegian.

Or is it like a statement as "he made an argument"?

Or, is it like an argue (verbal fight) between people?

or, all the above?

:unsure:

It seems to me based upon his posting history that the OP considers it an 'argument' when you are unwilling to accede that -- based upon his extensive travels, overwhelming number of acquaintances, and just plain age -- that he is presumed to be right or at least more informed than yourself.

^ Agree with you.

It seems we don't meet the OP expectation.

I.F. you said you're a professional writer. Me, english is not even my mother tongue.

I try my best to share my experiences with other posters. I'm sorry I disappointed you

But honestly I don't think you ever bring anything valuable to this forum so the feeling is mutual

It seems to me based upon his posting history that the OP considers it an 'argument' when you are unwilling to accede that -- based upon his extensive travels, overwhelming number of acquaintances, and just plain age -- that he is presumed to be right or at least more informed than yourself.

Ah so you lost a few debates with Ian ? :D sore looser

Wow, I smell an argument brewing, lets hope it turns into a debate rather than an alcohol-fueled argument. Or maybe not...can I have another beer, please? No? Okay, I'm not going to argue with you about that.:blink: mario299

For me?

if yes, thank you.

;)

I could be completely wrong, but I consider a debate to be an intellectual interaction of two or more people that have opposing opinions on a given topic.

An argument, on the other hand, is when opposing opinions elevate to ad hominem insults whereby one person verbally attacks the opponent personally rather than defend their own side with facts.

EG: "Listen you low-life, single-helix, scum-sucking bottom feeder, the sky is BLACK it only appears to be blue during the day due to the refraction of sunlight in the atmosphere"

Most people would not consider that a polite way of debating.

You've just given an example of a heated argument. You could also have a heated debate.

You scum-sucking bottom feeder biggrin.gif

Wow. How did you manage to get there from Ian's posting history? I read Ian's posts, but I could not have made that insightful leap.

Wow. How did you manage to get there from Ian's posting history? I read Ian's posts, but I could not have made that insightful leap.

DA: Argumentative your honor! :annoyed:

Judge: Sustained! :yohan:

I agree, a debate is not really an argument, otherwise this expat would be an expert at debating by now...

Many a time would i have spent "debating" to my ex Thai GF that she SHOULD be greatful for any assistance i should provide and offer, which is essentially money for free, without being called a kee-niaw and cheap Charlie.

I pity her current debating partner :whistling:

How much do you want to come round and haul her away? I think I have her now.ph34r.gif