Selling A Thai Business To 'Farang' Oversea Retirees

Following on from my previous post:

My Thai business partner (ex-wife) wants to sell her 49% share ownership of our profitable Phuket resort, and is seeking a reasonably low amount for her share.

I am not convinced that listing our business with the well-known Thai business brokers will attract the type of new partner that we both would like - which is a non-Thai partner, probably retired or a retired foreign couple - in an active or silent investment role.

I'm not in a position to buy out my ex - I have recently opened a second hotel in Ao Nang.

Can anyone suggest web-sites which deal with overseas retirement/overseas retirement opportunities for Americans, Europeans etc, where I could advertise/list this opportunity?

I can only think of escapeartist.com, and I have contacted them already.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Simon

Sorry to ask but why does your Thai Business partner (ex wife) only have 49% shares? She should have 50% and then you would be left with 49% and a lawyer with 1% or such. Seems kinda strange to me unless this is a typo? And if it is and she does in fact have 50% shares then a Farang cannot buy this as all we can own is 49% so maybe better to get some facts strait before advertising haha

The share % are correct. There are 4 shareholders:

A = 49% (me - British)

B = 49% (Thai ex-wife)

C = 1% (ex's older sister - Thai)

D = 1% (my partner - Thai)

So I (the foreigner), have a minority shareholding and the Thai shareholders have a majority shareholding.

Simon

Just wonder out loud....

what is cooking there behind the scene.... or

what is going on after dark there....?

that prompted the desire to disowning what is profitable and ongoing....? :ermm:

Just curious....

A = 49% (me - British)

B = 49% (Thai ex-wife)

So I (the foreigner), have a minority shareholding and the Thai shareholders have a majority shareholding.

Simon

Edited by mkawish

mkawish, nothing cooking at all. She has a young family to look after and wishes to exit the business with funds to buy a house.

Simon

I would be interested in your business if you could give me your contact info I could call you sometime. thanks

A = 49% (me - British)

B = 49% (Thai ex-wife)

Simon

I'm sorry, but you lost me there. You stated in the original post:

"the type of new partner that we both would like - which is a non-Thai partner, probably retired or a retired foreign couple".

If your ex-wife's shares are sold to a non-Thai, wouldn't that result in a Thai company being 98% foreign owned? I thought all Thai companies (other than Amity companies) had to be majority owned by Thais.

Sophon

Sophon, you are partially correct, which is why my preference is either for a US citizen to own the shares, or a non-Thai who owns them in the name of his/her Thai partner.

There are many types of business that can be owned 100% by foreigners, hotel management being one of them. But I am not seeking classification under that option.

Simon