Which Wireless Internet Service?

ThePoMoBro

I live around Santitham and DSL is not available in my building. I need an internet connection that is reliable and has high (if any) transfer limits. My computer will not accept a SIM so I have to buy a USB modem as well.

I know CAT CDMA is available in my neighborhood with unlimited bandwidth for about 790/month plus ~3,xxx for the modem. Do I need 3G? What other companies should I look at? True? AIS?

CAT CDMA is the only reasonable internet I had in Thai, after trying 3 landlines.

It's poor but it's good enough to download 10 movie's at the time, maintain websites and file transfers, no problems.

Errors are very rare, and it gives a lot of freedom.

Don't take the cheap USB stick (2.000+) but take the 6.000b one.

if you need to pay 3000+ for the model .

my suggestion is you go for TRUE .

talk to the local service center .- and tell them you want ADSL2+ and let them do the wire or cable line to your House .

i did it to my house costing me about 4000b++ baht but is still worth it . cos is more stable . and now i run a 12mb 1 mb line .

with my promotion it sure beat the wirelsss speed .

what i know is that True is also offering Cable connection .. but the Wiring to have a line direct to your house can be a ltttle expensvie but it offer the best speed now on the market

seriously Wifi in thailand is still in the stone age and is very unstable

I can't get DSL because I live in a brand new apartment and the guy doesn't want to fiddle with the wiring. I've tried and it's not happening.

CAT sounds good but seriously 6,000 for the modem? I'm sure it's a better option but are people having problems with the USB and lots of data transfer?

I would recommend True... Get any True prepaid sim (49 baht)

(Note their "Inter-Sim" allows you to put the sim into a cell phone and make international calls to many countries at 1 baht/minute using 00600 prefix)

http://www.truemove.com/en/Inter-SIM-Prepay.rails

Test the sim in your apartment with your cellphone to make sure you have good reception

Top the sim up with ~500 baht at 7-11 and then set up the sim with a data plan from the following website

http://www.truemove.com/en/wifi-edge-gprs-package.htm

I would recommend the 50 hour plan for 199 baht/month (SMS T2 to 9789) or 100 hour plan for 349 a month (SMS T3 to 9789) - Note they give you an additional 10 and 15 hours of 3G speed time and you can also take your laptop to anyplace there is a True or KSC wifi hotspot and use the wifi

Then go to Pantip plaza or one of the tech mini malls on the North moat road and look for s 3G usb dongle 600-2000 baht...

Take your laptop and have them set the usb/sim up so it works

If you don't want to fiddle with it and have some extra money get either of these (The Mifi looks sweet)

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/device.html

Edited by sfokevin

I can't get DSL because I live in a brand new apartment and the guy doesn't want to fiddle with the wiring. I've tried and it's not happening.

CAT sounds good but seriously 6,000 for the modem? I'm sure it's a better option but are people having problems with the USB and lots of data transfer?

If you are using a laptop or notebook, then I believe the CAT CDMA is a good deal, due to the flexibility of being able to go online almost anywhere in the country (well, at least in the main urban areas). My USB is a dongle (I believe that's what it is called) and works reliably, but they have other products as well. I live in Korat but have had no significant issues with the product or service. The speed is reasonably fast (it is promoted at 3.1 mbps but in reality - of course - slower), but I have to admit I do not download many large files, so do not know for sure how this speed would stand up to your requirements/expectations. CAT even used to have a promotion where the first three months came for free, but I don't know whether they still have it. You can check out further details here at http://www.catteleco...=588&subcat=756 (English language but not much info) or their current CDMA products at http://www.catcdma.c...uct/product.htm (Thai language only).

seriously . i would MOVE ...

in the end you still Save .

An apartment which do not even allow you internet access ., what else the woner would not allow you in the future .

maybe he would not allow you to move .

My landlord's actually a cool guy and the apartment is dirt cheap (3,300). The place comes with cheap shared ADSL but too many kids are in here downloading torrents.

Other than True and CAT, anyone else I should check out? I move lots of data but as long as I'm pulling 1mbit+ I'm not too worried about speed.

It's about 5,600bht for the USB dongle, but that includes the first 3 months unlimited access.

(month 1 counts as the first month you connect, and starts from the 1st of that month, so best to buy at the start of the month)

For an apartment in Santitham, it's not really that cheap. If you're dead set in staying in the building, maybe get the owner to upgrade the internet service. All the major companies do the 6mbs for 600-700B. That's most likely what you're apartment is using. Maybe it'll be worth telling the landlord you'll throw in another couple hundred baht to upgrade the service to 8, 10, or 12Mbs.

Personally, I would find out when you're lease is over and start looking for a better run building.