Working On O Visa

I have been teaching in a school since September. My work permit is being processed and I am waiting for it. I have been having issues about my O visa as I moved over here to live with my wife and sons, the trouble started when I went to registerin the amphur. They made me leave the country and get a new stamp (I am on a multiple entry 12 month visa). They told me to get a letter off the school and go through the process of getting a B visa.

I do not want to do this, I want to get registered on my O visa and work on it as well. This is so that if i end up with no work I will still have a visa to live in LOS till I get a new job.

Is this possible??? I have been assured it is, but if it is then why did they not inform me in Sisaket immigration? basically can I work on an O visa?? and if so how do I get registered in an area while still on an O but working in a school?

Any help very appreciated

Neil

Not sure if you are talking about visas or extensions of stay - but loss of employment only effects extensions of stay so will assume that is the subject.

You can obtain a work permit regardless of having an extension of stay for work or Thai wife and there should not be any issue on that as non immigrant visa entry on other than retirement is what they need to be concerned with. If the work office will not allow initial O visa for issue of the permit you can play there game and get a B visa entry and then extend for marriage after 60 days and make everyone happy.

Not sure if you are talking about visas or extensions of stay - but loss of employment only effects extensions of stay so will assume that is the subject.

You can obtain a work permit regardless of having an extension of stay for work or Thai wife and there should not be any issue on that as non immigrant visa entry on other than retirement is what they need to be concerned with. If the work office will not allow initial O visa for issue of the permit you can play there game and get a B visa entry and then extend for marriage after 60 days and make everyone happy.

I think I didn't explain this enough. I still have a visa until september. maybe I should take this in stages. can I work on an O visa (married to a Thai and we have 2 kids, both born in uk but with Thai birth certificates). I have been told I can work with O visa to support my family.

Cheers

Neil

The amphur has nothing to do with your work permit, unless you work for them. It is the labour department that issues the work permit, most times they can be found in the provincial government office.

This s interesting as the school have told me that they are witing for my work permit to be processed in Bangkok, I am in Sisaket so maybe they need to send the docs to Bangkok. Does anybody know if this is true

Cheers

Neil

You can work on an 'O' visa IF you have a work permit yes. If you don't then no you can't.

The only difference between applying for a work permit on an 'O' visa and a 'B' visa is that you are allowed to work whilst your application is being processed when on a 'B' visa but you are not allowed to work until you have the work permit in your hands if you are on an 'O' visa.

I think I didn't explain this enough. I still have a visa until september. maybe I should take this in stages. can I work on an O visa (married to a Thai and we have 2 kids, both born in uk but with Thai birth certificates). I have been told I can work with O visa to support my family.

Cheers

Neil

Seperate issues, If you have a one year multi-entry "O" Visa, you are stamped permitted to stay 90 days when entering the country, perhaps that 90 day period was expiring and that is why they had you leave and enter again. If you want to stay without leaving the country again, a your local immigration office you need to apply for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on your marriage. One of the requirements for that is 400,000 Baht in a bank account in your name or a monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

The visa alone does not allow you to work legally, that is why the work permit is being processed, and one of the requirements to obtain is a Non-immigrant Visa, usually an "O" or a "B". I don't think there should be a problem if you have an "O" Visa and married to a Thai.

Edited by beechguy

I have had 2 work permits previously issued whilst on an 'O' Visa.....however I am in the process of new employment and the HR girl didnt think you could get one until I explained you could, she thn enquired and it is the same process as a Non 'B'

I have had 2 work permits previously issued whilst on an 'O' Visa.....however I am in the process of new employment and the HR girl didnt think you could get one until I explained you could, she thn enquired and it is the same process as a Non 'B'

The reason for this is to do with the different labour office/people in charge...It is legally permissible to get a WP on an "O"......but different offices different rules, some office will do it, others want you to have a Non-imm B

In a separate recent thread I was told that if one is on the initial entry, so still the first 90days of marriage visa, applying for a WP should be no issues.

However, if applying on an EXTENSION based on marriage, the labor dept. could be difficult in issuing the WP.

Like Soutpeel said, depends on the people processing and if they've had their Somtam yet. :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. A non immigrant O visa is issued for a number of "other" reasons. The only problem would be retirement extension of stay - for marriage it should not be an issue. Where it is an issue most reports seem to indicate that the business was the one saying impossible (to have more control over your stay) rather than the Labor Office.

The reason for this is to do with the different labour office/people in charge...It is legally permissible to get a WP on an "O"......but different offices different rules, some office will do it, others want you to have a Non-imm B

In order to get a work permit, you need a non-immigrant visa. Even though some provincial authorities may say you need a non-B, this is not true. You can get a WP if you have a non-O. If they don't agree, make them call to Bangkok! There is only one law in Thailand, and the local officers in the provinces don't make different laws. The problem is that they are not trained and updated by their superiors.

The requirements for a work permit for foreigners are somewhere on www.mol.go.th, but I cannot find it right now. Anyway, rest assured it says "non-immigrant visa" and does not specify the category. (That said, many people over here have confirmed that the reitrement visa non-OA is an exception, and understandibly so.)

Cheers

Neil

You cannot work without a work permit, but I guess your question is another one: "Can I apply for a work permit with a non-O visa?" And the answer is yes.

The amphur has nothing to do with your work permit, unless you work for them. It is the labour department that issues the work permit, most times they can be found in the provincial government office.

This s interesting as the school have told me that they are witing for my work permit to be processed in Bangkok, I am in Sisaket so maybe they need to send the docs to Bangkok. Does anybody know if this is true

Cheers

Neil

Neil, here's Mike. Please stay calm and contact me. Seth has got my number, I'm in the same situation, will make a visa run end of this week. I know most guys working for the Immigration in Phusing and Phibun Mangsahan.

I also want to keep my visa to be independent. The letter to Bangkok is for the TCT (Teachers Council of Thailand), you'll have to wait until you're on the so called 'waiver letter'. You can't process a work permit without that...

Let's meet this evening behind Kunwadee at this little shop, okay?

Mike :jap:

Cheers

Neil

You cannot work without a work permit, but I guess your question is another one: "Can I apply for a work permit with a non-O visa?" And the answer is yes.

The question wasn't about working without a work permit, or?

The type of visa is a Non-O issued at a Thai consulate abroad. On this type, you'll have to leave the country every 90 days. I guess Neils' question was pretty simple to understand, if he can work on that type of visa.

I'll let you know what Immigration said end of this week. :jap:

In order to get a work permit, you need a non-immigrant visa. Even though some provincial authorities may say you need a non-B, this is not true. You can get a WP if you have a non-O. If they don't agree, make them call to Bangkok!

I wouldn't really expect they immediately comply to the request to call to Bkk, and then write out a work permit after having profusely apologized for their ignorance.

More likely they would refuse flatly and nod to the next person waiting to come forward.

No you cannot work with an O Visa.

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

I hope you are not teaching English! :unsure:

illegal/Thailand 5555555

Obviously many people here just don't yet understand Thailand.

If you know that right people anything can be done with one phone call.....

In order to get a work permit, you need a non-immigrant visa. Even though some provincial authorities may say you need a non-B, this is not true. You can get a WP if you have a non-O. If they don't agree, make them call to Bangkok!

I wouldn't really expect they immediately comply to the request to call to Bkk, and then write out a work permit after having profusely apologized for their ignorance.

More likely they would refuse flatly and nod to the next person waiting to come forward.

Well. Not related to work permits, I had a problem with a customs officer in Phuket who insisted on some paperwork which was not required for that shipment. I flew down to Phuket to meet this customs officer, was relayed to her superior, who first showed me the Customs Regulations (on which I pointed out the sentence that IMHO proved me right) and then asked her to call to Bangkok, which she did. Red-faced, she apologized and signed the papers.

Yes, it's true. The trick is to be polite, very polite, and speak Thai with them in the correct level of politeness. Give them the wai, apologize for contradicting their certainly professional judgement, and ask them to make the phone call just to satisfy the farang's curiosity. Apologize that farangs are so curious. Doing it the Thai way will lead to results, insisting the farang way will provoke the reaction you describe above.

If this doesn't work with government officials of other departments, there are indeed places were you can complain. The chambers of commerce come to mind. I repeat, there is only one law in Thailand. The only problem is that government officials are not properly trained and updated. That is not their fault, so please don't blame them or yell at them.

Cheers

Neil

The question wasn't about working without a work permit, or?

The type of visa is a Non-O issued at a Thai consulate abroad. On this type, you'll have to leave the country every 90 days. I guess Neils' question was pretty simple to understand, if he can work on that type of visa.

I'll let you know what Immigration said end of this week. :jap:

If the question is whether he can work on an O-visa without a work permit, the answer is no.

If the question is whether he can apply for a work permit with an O-visa, the answer is yes.

I am looking forward to your update at the end of this week. Thanks in advance.

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

You can teach on a Non-B and a Non-O visa. Working on a Non-O wasn't allowed 6 years ago. I hope you're not A LAWYER.......:jap:

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

You can teach on a Non-B and a Non-O visa. Working on a Non-O wasn't allowed 6 years ago. I hope you're not A LAWYER.......:jap:

No you cant...you can only work on a WP..."B"s & "O"'s are not "work visa's"

A work permit would be issued by the local labor office but expect there is paperwork required from Bangkok (education related) in your case that school is waiting for.

Hi lopburi, the school has to produce the document for the TCT, and send it together with 500 baht to Bangkok. It's always good to ask for the "waiver' letter. Sometimes it's taking two weeks, and sometimes months........:jap:

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

A Non-B visa is actually the type of visa to work on, or let's better say to have the chance to receive a work permit. As said, since about five years, it's also possible to work on a Non-O visa. Did you get it???:jap:

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

A Non-B visa is actually the type of visa to work on, or let's better say to have the chance to receive a work permit. As said, since about five years, it's also possible to work on a Non-O visa. Did you get it???:jap:

Wrong again....A non-imm B is not a visa "to work on"..either is a Non-imm O.....there is no such thing as a work visa in Thailand, the document you need is a blue book called a Work Permit which is a separate document and not a Visa

Having a non-imm B does not increase your chances of getting a WP over having a Non-imm O

Do you get it ?....:rolleyes: ...its not rocket science

Edited by Soutpeel