Michael Owen Joins Newcastle

DJ Pat

Owen joins Newcastle United

BY TIMES ONLINE AND AGENCIES

Newcastle United pulled off a sensational transfer coup when they finally managed to persuade Michael Owen, the England forward, to keep his World Cup dreams alive on Tyneside.

In a move which dashed the hopes of former club Liverpool of securing the 25-year-old's return, the Magpies completed their club record swoop - believed to be in the region of £17 million - for the Real Madrid star to hand Graeme Souness, the Newcastle manager, a massive boost.

Owen will undergo a medical on Tyneside this afternoon before sealing his switch to St James' Park in a move which represents a coup for Newcastle on a par with their capture of skipper Alan Shearer back in July 1996.

"Bringing Michael to St James' Park will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle United," chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's official website, www.nufc.co.uk.

"Newcastle fans love centre-forwards and Michael is a fantastic goalscorer. He's someone we would love to build the team around and we hope he can help us bring success to the club."

Owen's decision comes less than 24 hours after he travelled to the north-east to meet Souness, chairman Freddy Shepherd and former international team-mate Shearer to discuss his future following talks with the Anfield club.

It represents a major change of heart from the player, who has always insisted a return to Merseyside was his preferred option despite indicating he would be prepared to join the Magpies on loan for a season.

But Real's need to raise cash to help fund their bid for Sevilla defender Sergio Ramos and Newcastle's insistence on a permanent deal meant that was not an option.

Reports today suggested Owen was returning to Liverpool for further talks amid speculation his former club had finally made a formal approach, although with the Reds unwilling to spend significantly more than the £8million for which they sold him to the Spanish aristocrats last summer, Newcastle had gained the upper hand.

There have even been hints the striker could bide his time at the Bernabeu Stadium until the January window with the latest transfer deadline looming tomorrow night.

Owen's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, and that grew on Sunday when he did not even make the bench for his side's opening La Liga fixture in Cadiz.

Newcastle's latest coup is reminiscent of their £15million capture of Shearer back in July 1996, and a similar return on their investment this time around would be welcome with Souness's side having collected just one point from their first four Barclays Premiership games this season without scoring a single goal.

For Owen too, the move will give him regular first-team football as the World Cup finals approach, and that will be of immense comfort to Sven-Goran Eriksson, the England manager.

Congrats Newcastle.

I was rather hoping Owen would've returned to LFC. Would've been interesting to see him alongside Cisse.

Just hope we can get rid of statuesque Morientes and get someone with scavenger skills like Mickey.

Hope he plays as well for you guys as he did for the Reds.

:o

I don't know how he has the nerve to go there. He has made it abundantly clear that he wanted to go to Liverpool and Newcastle is second choice (who knows, it could have been his 5th choice). If i was a Geordie fan, i'd be "booing" his ass out of Newcastle.

There was a topic about where Owen would end up a month or so back. I said Newcastle and of course, he ended up here...

Being a Geordie and da.mn proud of it I'm happy we can still attract players of Owen's callibre, and of course I'm pleased we have Owen as we need someone alongside sir Alan Shearer. However, I do take mrbojangles point that he did make it clear he wasn't keen on the toon, although once he starts banging the goals in all will be forgotten :o

Owen will be given hero status up in Newcastle. I know his prefered choice was Liverpool, but Newcastle fans won't care once he starts banging the goals in. We haven't scored a goal this season. Hopefully he can link up with Shearer and get him scoring goals again too. :o

However, I do take mrbojangles point that he did make it clear he wasn't keen on the toon, although once he starts banging the goals in all will be forgotten  :D

Owen will be given hero status up in Newcastle. I know his prefered choice was Liverpool, but Newcastle fans won't care once he starts banging the goals in.

You're both probably right.

When i learned that we (Man City) where signing Andy Cole, i wasn't an happy bunny. A couple of goals later and the pain eases. We're a fickle bunch aren't we :o Cole will also get hero status if he bags a goal or 2 in the Derby next week :D:D

If Owen starts banging the goals in he'll be gone from St. James' Park within two years, in my opinion. He made it very clear that he didn't really want to sign for Newcastle but it now appears that the lack of serious interest from elsewhere has forced him into it. The lack of Champions League football will be a serious blow to him as well, and rumours abound that he has insisted on a clause in his contract providing him with an escape route if another side makes an approach for him in the future. It's a dubious policy spending so much money on a player who has stated that he doesn't consider the club to match his aspirations and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. As an England supporter i hope he enjoys a very successful season in front of goal and carries that form into the World Cup.

Im gutted he did'nt come back home personally as what the <deleted> is Crouch doing at Anfeild I will never know (hope Im proved wrong)....doubt it;) Guess Rafa really does'nt think we need him, which is a bad call as Cisse is still yet to impress. Overall though we just can not compete with Newcastle's spending power.

Good luck to Newcastle though, although I would not be happy with the apparent clauses he has supposed to have included. Guess this gives GS some breathing space...but for how long? I think you will have another manager by Jan.

Luque, Emere, Owen and Parker very good buy's.

Where the <deleted> do they get all their money from?

Hope he does not come back to haunt us :o

TAF

I am surprised he did sign but not till they all agreed on his get out clauses...I still think Newcastles troubles run deeper though. To me its a bit like Wigan signing Ronaldo!

I hope little Mickey has a good season though with the world cup coming up but I feel that Newcastles troubles will still be there as long as Souness is still around!

There is NO get out clause

Also, TheAceFace, you are right about our signings ...Parker, Emre, Luque and Owen are great signings, but don't forget the return of sir Lee Clarke :o

I also hear that Solano is on his way back today - not comfirmed yet though.

We love you Nobby 'cause you're from Peru

We love you Nobby 'cause you're from Peru

We love you Nobby 'cause you're black and white through and through :D

I'm also a little surprised as I didn't know we had all this money...

Parker - 6.5m

Emre - 4m

Luque - 9 or 10m

Owen - 16 or 17m

I hear Jenas is on his way out though to finance some of this... He is going to Spurs supposedly for somewhere in the region of 9m, he is having his medical now. I can't wait to see the back of him

So, after weeks of speculation, Michael Owen has finally come clean over where he sees his future.

Or has he?

In fact, with Wednesday's statement, Owen has done exactly what you would expect from a man regarded as one of football's Mr Nice Guys: kept everyone happy.

But the canny 25-year-old has also ensured that the one person who cannot lose is him.

Ideally, says Owen, he wants to "start the season in the Real Madrid team".

Realistically, he knows that will not happen, with Ronaldo, Raul, Robinho and Julio Baptista all ahead of him in the pecking order.

But by reiterating his desire to stay and play, Owen, already a popular figure at Madrid after his 16 goals last season, has ensured he would not lose any of that affection should he opt to leave.

He will also maintain the good will he has built up among many football fans in general, who have watched and admired Owen's battle to overcome the unique situation at Real where status guarantees you a starting place, but form does not.

If he does not stay at Real, Owen says he favours a return to Liverpool , the club he left 12 months ago.

That admission has twin benefits.

Firstly, it encourages the Reds to make an offer, but secondly it appeases the Liverpool fans if he signs for one of their Premiership rivals.

Although it seems unlikely now, Owen could yet end up at Everton or Manchester United , a prospect which would previously have been completely unpalatable for the Anfield faithful.

But now Owen has stated his ideal destination is Liverpool, they cannot really justify turning him into a hate figure if he goes to another club - because if he does, it means the Reds did not want him.

Option number three for Owen is a loan move to Newcastle for the rest of the season, although the Magpies have since launched a bid to sign him on a permanent basis.

In World Cup year, Owen needs to be playing regularly, a luxury Newcastle can certainly offer - even if it is not in Europe.

But by committing himself to only one season, Owen gives himself a get-out clause.

If all goes well, he could sign permanently at the end of the season, taking on the mantle of goalscoring hero from the retiring Alan Shearer.

But if Newcastle show no sign of matching his ambitions of challenging for trophies, no one would blame an England striker, potentially approaching his peak age, for moving on.

With one week to go until the transfer window closes, Owen has put the ball in Liverpool's court, while keeping Newcastle and any other interested parties dangling.

But with Milan Baros gone, his current strikers struggling to score and many fans keen to see a former favourite return, Owen's statement may force Rafael Benitez to take the bait.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...rem/4179588.stm

I also hear that Solano is on his way back today - not comfirmed yet though.

I hear Jenas is on his way out though to finance some of this...  He is going to Spurs supposedly for somewhere in the region of 9m, he is having his medical now.  I can't wait to see the back of him

It looks like were going back to the old tried and tested system which nearly brought us success.

We had Solano and Robert on the wings supplying crosses for Shearer in the middle and Bellamy using his pace off Shearer.

It would be the same but Owen for Bellamy and Luque for Robert.

Nobby would be more than welcome back.

To be honest if Newcastle can get £9Million for JJ, then they should grab it. The first season and a half he played for us he showed alot of promise but has disapointed in the last 2 seasons.

When was the last time Jenas had a man of the match performance?? I can't remember!

Good luck to JJ at Spurs, but I can't see him being first choice before Carrick or Davids.

Sorry Eric, your link was to a statement issued last week. This is todays.

Newcastle prepare to unveil Owen

Newcastle fans love centre-forwards and Michael is a fantastic goalscorer

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd

Shearer 'was key to decision'

Watch the news conference on this website from 1200 BST

Real Madrid forward Michael Owen will be unveiled as a Newcastle player at 1200 BST on Wednesday.

The England striker, who passed his medical on Tuesday, has agreed a four-year deal and is believed to have cost the Magpies a club record £17m.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd said: "Bringing Michael here will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle."

Liverpool had wanted to re-sign Owen but baulked at Real's asking price.

Owen revealed Everton boss David Moyes rang him on Monday evening to ask if he would consider a move to Goodison Park.

He told The Times: "Just before I arrived home, David Moyes rang to see if there was a chance of getting me to Goodison Park and to wish me luck if not.

"I think he must have known that my Dad was briefly an Everton player and I used to follow them as a boy."

Once Owen completes his move to Newcastle, his arrival at St James' Park will eclipse the money the club spent in signing Alan Shearer for £15m from Blackburn in July 1996.

DEADLY DUO?

Alan Shearer and Michael Owen started together for England 13 times

England won four, drew four and lost five of those games

The pair combined for nine goals in those games (Shearer five, Owen four)

The details of his contract with the Magpies are not known but reports suggest there may be various get-out clauses depending on the team's performance.

"It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael," Newcastle manager Graeme Souness told the club's official website.

"In football, the hardest thing to get is someone who puts the ball in the back of the net and Michael is the best at doing that for England.

"I'd say it's the biggest transfer I've been involved in as a manager of any football club."

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson believes it is a major boost knowing Owen will play regular football before next year's World Cup.

"It is a great club. He will play regular football, much more than last season. I suppose he is very happy," said the Swede.

"He will score goals for them and it is great to play with Alan Shearer. He is a good targetman and will give Michael Owen many chances, I am sure of that."

Eriksson reveals Owen concern

Owen was left out of Madrid's squad for the first game of their season after falling behind Ronaldo, Raul, Julio Baptista and Robinho in the pecking order at the Bernabeu.

"The transfer is official," said Real Madrid director of football Arrigo Sacchi.

"He is already a player for the English club. Real Madrid have been happy with him and we thank him for all that he has done here. We wish the best for the future.

"He asked to leave because we are in World Cup year and here he was not going to play regularly. We didn't want to let him go and only when a decent offer arrived did we consider selling. We wish him luck and hope all goes well.

"It's clear we have lost something but you can't keep a player when he wants to go. He is one of the best strikers in the world but here we have Robinho, Guti, Raul, Ronaldo and he wasn't going to play much."

I always had my doubts about Michael going back to Liverpool because manager Rafael Benitez wants to play in a certain way

Mark Lawrenson

More reaction to Owen's move

Owen travelled to England and met Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez for two-and-a-half hours on Monday before going to Northumberland.

There he met Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son, manager Graeme Souness, captain Alan Shearer and coach Dean Saunders.

Owen had said he would only play for the Magpies on a one-year loan deal but he has been convinced to sign permanently in a coup for the club.

The player is England's fourth all-time highest goalscorer with 32 goals and, even though he is suspended for the World Cup qualifier against Wales on Saturday, he should return to play Northern Ireland on 7 September.

Owen will bring a proven goalscoring pedigree to a team who have yet to score a Premiership goal so far this season.

He was named European Footballer of the Year in December 2001 and, after 158 goals in 297 games for Liverpool, left for Real Madrid where he scored 16 goals as a bit part player.

There is NO get out clause

Are you sure? All the papers and the TV are saying there is................yeah, your'e probably right actually :o:D

I am 100% sure there is NO get out clause :D

Also Jenas has now been sold for a fee believed to be the in the region of 8 million to spurs who have also signed a new left back from PSV who's name I cannot pronounce nor spell :D . (He's Korean though) replacing Erik Edman who was sold earlier this week to Rennes for some reason, I thought he was a good player for spurs and also for my dream team :D

Geordies for the premiership :D:D:D ...I wish

If my HAT was edible I would be eating it now as I was the ONE that said there was NO WAY Owen would go to Newcastle.

I have nothing against the Magpies, maybee Souness is a survivor and good luck to him.

I am not a Liverpool fan and as it was obvious he was not coming to Reading, I say GOOD LUCK to all you Geordie supporters.

I am sorry for doubting the Magpies.

Hope you get a top ten position this year, at least relegation is no out of the question . It wasn't before Owen's arrival. Perhaps someone will fill me in re Jennnas, I thought he was a good player so why have they let him go.

I remember an anacdote when Dion Dublin came off the feild to nick the ball off Dublin and score and the headlines were "Given is the only Irishman that does not know where Dublin is" Is that funny?

Anyway,

Good Luck

maybee we will meet in the league next year

The truth behind Owen switch Aug 31 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MICHAEL OWEN sat in his north Wales mansion desperately waiting for the Anfield cavalry to arrive yesterday.

Sadly for him, and thousands of Liverpool supporters desperate to see his return, the Reds were already in the process of retreating from the pursuit of his signature.

Instead, their former striker was dragged, kicking and screaming towards a clause-ridden Newcastle contract.

This was not supposed to be the final scene of the summer's most captivating transfer saga.

Even as Newcastle chairman Freddie Shepherd announced Owen's imminent arrival, the Geordies risked serious embarrassment.

With the St James' Park medical team due to arrive at his north Wales home to complete the formalities, Owen was still waiting for the call from the Anfield hierarchy.

When it came around 11am yesterday morning, the conversation between Owen and Rick Parry confirmed his fears. Liverpool had neither the cash, nor the will, to spend more than £12m to buy him back.

Real Madrid said that wasn't enough while Newcastle's £16m offer was on the table. For Liverpool to sign Owen, he had to publicly reject their offer and reiterate he'd only go to Anfield.

Sending an SOS to Anfield was fine, but without a white flag, surrendering any intention to join Newcastle, it was hopeless.

Sadly, this was a concession Owen felt he couldn't take without a definite assurance his ambition to join Liverpool would be realised.

Liverpool are stunned Owen opted for the Newcastle option given his doubts about the move.

They feel had he held his nerve and flatly rejected a switch North East, Madrid's stance may have softened over the next 24 hours.

When faced with a similar situation a week ago, Milan Baros publicly rebuffed any interest from Lyon and joined Aston Villa for a smaller fee.

Fernando Morientes took the same stance last January when in the wake of Liverpool interest, Newcastle offered more.

Liverpool wanted Owen to repeat Baros and Morientes' tactics. If the Geordies thought they were chasing a lost cause, they'd have to withdraw their bid.

The Reds could then continue negotiations with the Spanish giants in a stronger position. For Liverpool to sign Owen, it had to be a one horse race.

For Owen, the risk was too great. Time was running out. He was told by Madrid there was no prospect of a deal with Liverpool and if he didn't go to Newcastle, he'd be on the sidelines until January.

The shadow of the World Cup loomed large. It seems international ambition overrides a burning desire to return to Anfield and the next six months couldn't be sacrificed.

Owen was determined to maintain contact with Newcastle as a back-up option, but by courting their attention he created a fundamental flaw in Rafael Benitez's plan to get him.

After some horrendous advice, he was even pictured meeting Newcastle officials. Hardly the actions of a man trying to send a signal to Real Madrid he didn't fancy moving to St James' Park..

As Owen strolled around a Northumberland estate on Monday night, he was inadvertently knifing his and Liverpool ' s ambitions through the heart.

Having been set a morning deadline to make his decision, he returned to north Wales resigned to moving to Newcastle.

On Tuesday morning, he was having second thoughts and made a series of frantic phone calls to Anfield officials. Unlike the recent Steven Gerrard case, however, there was nothing Liverpool could do to reassure Owen a u-turn would definitely put him back in a red shirt.

They wanted him to reject Newcastle, but this would only trigger the beginning of more negotiating with Madrid.

Benitez's policy throughout the transfer was based partly on brinkmanship, bluff, and also a test of Owen's much publicised desperation to come home.

The Liverpool boss wasn't convinced by the private messages delivered via friends or journalists.

He demanded a statement from Owen, although when it arrived it hardly dripped with enthusiasm.

Owen's advisors elected to show their client as all things to all men, tellingly citing World Cup ambition above any fervent desire to join Liverpool.

Newcastle's £16m was then instantly made public, deflecting attention from Owen's understated 'come and get me plea' to his former employers.

Madrid refused to negotiate with Liverpool unless they matched Newcastle's offer. The loan deal Liverpool wanted was now out of the question.

As long as Owen rejected Newcastle, the Reds were in the driving seat.

Benitez and Parry met Owen on Monday. There was no clause in a Liverpool contract. Personal terms were not an issue. Difficult negotiations with Madrid were.

Owen was told to reject Newcastle. Instead, he and his advisor Tony Stephens headed north.

For all the sense of deflation at losing a player of Owen's calibre to Newcastle, few will argue the Reds should have matched such a ridiculous offer.

Indeed, the only winners in this saga are Madrid. They've earned 100 per cent profit on a player who wouldn't have played for them this year.

Liverpool have shown their status as European champions hasn't given them the financial muscle to outbid lowly Premiership rivals.

Owen has joined a club against his judgment, despite admitting a week ago he wouldn't do so.

As for Newcastle, they've agreed a strange contract which isn't exactly what it says on the label.

In a year's time, Owen can leave St James' Park for a fee somewhere in the region of what Liverpool were prepared to pay.

The Geordies are laughing now, but they might be celebrating the most expensive loan deal in football history.

If that report from the Liverpool Echo is accurate, and they usually are where Liverpool FC are concerned, you have to wonder what Newcastle think they are doing.

As for Newcastle, they've agreed a strange contract which isn't exactly what it says on the label.

In a year's time, Owen can leave St James' Park for a fee somewhere in the region of what Liverpool were prepared to pay.

The Geordies are laughing now, but they might be celebrating the most expensive loan deal in football history.

I am 100% sure there is NO get out clause  :D

Davey are you ABSOLUTELY sure there are no clauses :o:D:D

I am 100% sure there is NO get out clause  :D

Davey are you ABSOLUTELY sure there are no clauses :o:D:D

I am 100% sure there is NO get out clause :D

I watched the whole unveiling of the signing on sky sports news and this question was ofcourse asked by the media ...the response: there is no such clause, Freddy Sheperd replied

I'm trying to find quotes of this but it is proving quite difficult, although I assure you this was said and it will be repeated on sky sports news sooner or later if you have that channel.

Ah, Mrbojangles, you're a city man right? we'll be seeing you on the 24th :D

Given, Babayaro, Boumsoung, Taylor, Carr, Solano, Emre, Parker, Luque, Shearer, Owen ...I don't care what anyone says, that's a champions league team for sure, we will prove it this season too

It will be interesting to see how the barcodes get on now they have bought a few players. Emre was looking good till he got injured. I do wonder if Souness can get them all working as a team though...they are notoriously slow starters but usually come good once the season is fully underway.

Jenas to Spurs for around 7 mil. Not sure why they have bought him to be honest with the wealth of midfielders they already have. Carrick and Davids to be starters in the centre and then you have Tainio, Mendes Brown and Davis to try and accommodate.

Jenas has shown promis but not for a long long time...sometimes it is a change of scenery to get things back on track...look how Carrick has come on since he has been at Spurs...on the verge of the England squad!

Lee Young Pyo (not sure about spelling) has been signed as left back. Looks good and quite attacking. Crosses with his left but does have a habit of stepping back onto his right. Should work well with Reid down the left. Not sure who the left back back up will be though with Edman off to Rennes and Ziegler at hamburg on a seasons long loan.

Owen insists on get-out clause as Magpies swoop for £17m deal

NEWCASTLE will unveil Michael Owen as their £17m record transfer before an enraptured St James' Park at midday today, their success in luring the England international to what he described as his third-choice destination explained by a clause in his new four-year contract that allows him to leave for £12m next summer.

Regardless, Newcastle were wallowing in the ambition and the negotiating prowess of their chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night, who had made Real Madrid an offer they could not refuse for the 25-year-old and one Liverpool were unable to match.

Owen met Shepherd, his son, Kenny, the Newcastle manager, Graeme Souness, the club's coach, Dean Saunders, and player-coach, Alan Shearer, at a Northumberland hotel on Monday afternoon as Newcastle brought out the big guns in an attempt to persuade the forward to spurn the advances of his former club Liverpool.

In the end, however, there was simply no option for Owen after Madrid told him they would not countenance Liverpool's offer of a season-long loan deal with a view to an £8m transfer next summer.

That left Owen in the agonising position of accepting a permanent move to the North-east or spending another season consigned to the bench at the Bernabeu, a situation he refused to accept in World Cup year, yet one that was certain to develop at Real following the arrival of Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Liverpool had hoped the striker they sold to Madrid for only £8m last August would reject Newcastle outright and thereby test Real's resolve, but with only 48 hours left before the transfer window closes until January and his employers steadfast in their demands, an emotional Owen decided he could not afford to take that risk.

His commitment to a four-year contract at Newcastle still registered as a shock from Madrid to Merseyside, given that only six days earlier he had publicly revealed he hoped to play in Real's first team, join Liverpool permanently or, if all else failed, move to St James' only on a one-year loan. In effect, however, that is exactly what he has done after his adviser, Tony Stephens, agreed a get-out clause that will keep Anfield interest alive should he fail to settle at Newcastle.

Owen underwent a medical near his home in North Wales yesterday afternoon - provided all is well he will sign this morning - and will make his first public appearance before the Newcastle faithful this afternoon, having been excused from England training in order to complete a transfer that will grant Sven Goran Eriksson his wish to see the striker in regular action in the build-up to Germany.

The transfer takes Newcastle's spending in the year since Souness replaced Sir Bobby Robson to almost £50m, a fair sum for a manager whose future is the subject of intense speculation. "It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael," said the Scot, showing caution in case of a late change of heart by Owen.

"He's the current England No 9 and this club has had a history of wonderful centre-forwards over the years. He's someone who can become a legend with Newcastle United fans," said Souness, who is currently at a training camp in Malaga with his non-international players, and will leave the Owen presentation to his chairman.

Newcastle's elation is in stark contrast to the atmosphere at Liverpool, who must now hope Djibril Cisse has not been too disheartened by their obvious attempts to fund a deal for Owen by selling the French forward.

"I don't want to leave Liverpool, but it's annoying me that I'm apparently being offered around the place to everyone," said Cisse. "That's getting me, mainly because it's not me who's asked to leave. These rumours are coming out the club or I don't know where. First it was Newcastle, then Marseilles and, today, Monaco. I'm being sent all over. Maybe Monaco and Liverpool have contacted each other about me, but I haven't got a clue what's going on." (© Independent News Service)

Owen insists on get-out clause as Magpies swoop for £17m deal

NEWCASTLE will unveil Michael Owen as their £17m record transfer before an enraptured St James' Park at midday today, their success in luring the England international to what he described as his third-choice destination explained by a clause in his new four-year contract that allows him to leave for £12m next summer.

Regardless, Newcastle were wallowing in the ambition and the negotiating prowess of their chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night, who had made Real Madrid an offer they could not refuse for the 25-year-old and one Liverpool were unable to match.

Owen met Shepherd, his son, Kenny, the Newcastle manager, Graeme Souness, the club's coach, Dean Saunders, and player-coach, Alan Shearer, at a Northumberland hotel on Monday afternoon as Newcastle brought out the big guns in an attempt to persuade the forward to spurn the advances of his former club Liverpool.

In the end, however, there was simply no option for Owen after Madrid told him they would not countenance Liverpool's offer of a season-long loan deal with a view to an £8m transfer next summer.

That left Owen in the agonising position of accepting a permanent move to the North-east or spending another season consigned to the bench at the Bernabeu, a situation he refused to accept in World Cup year, yet one that was certain to develop at Real following the arrival of Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Liverpool had hoped the striker they sold to Madrid for only £8m last August would reject Newcastle outright and thereby test Real's resolve, but with only 48 hours left before the transfer window closes until January and his employers steadfast in their demands, an emotional Owen decided he could not afford to take that risk.

His commitment to a four-year contract at Newcastle still registered as a shock from Madrid to Merseyside, given that only six days earlier he had publicly revealed he hoped to play in Real's first team, join Liverpool permanently or, if all else failed, move to St James' only on a one-year loan. In effect, however, that is exactly what he has done after his adviser, Tony Stephens, agreed a get-out clause that will keep Anfield interest alive should he fail to settle at Newcastle.

Owen underwent a medical near his home in North Wales yesterday afternoon - provided all is well he will sign this morning - and will make his first public appearance before the Newcastle faithful this afternoon, having been excused from England training in order to complete a transfer that will grant Sven Goran Eriksson his wish to see the striker in regular action in the build-up to Germany.

The transfer takes Newcastle's spending in the year since Souness replaced Sir Bobby Robson to almost £50m, a fair sum for a manager whose future is the subject of intense speculation. "It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael," said the Scot, showing caution in case of a late change of heart by Owen.

"He's the current England No 9 and this club has had a history of wonderful centre-forwards over the years. He's someone who can become a legend with Newcastle United fans," said Souness, who is currently at a training camp in Malaga with his non-international players, and will leave the Owen presentation to his chairman.

Newcastle's elation is in stark contrast to the atmosphere at Liverpool, who must now hope Djibril Cisse has not been too disheartened by their obvious attempts to fund a deal for Owen by selling the French forward.

"I don't want to leave Liverpool, but it's annoying me that I'm apparently being offered around the place to everyone," said Cisse. "That's getting me, mainly because it's not me who's asked to leave. These rumours are coming out the club or I don't know where. First it was Newcastle, then Marseilles and, today, Monaco. I'm being sent all over. Maybe Monaco and Liverpool have contacted each other about me, but I haven't got a clue what's going on." (© Independent News Service)

Your post is out of date... This is an article from Tuesday, Owen never signed the contract until Wednesday, so how the <deleted>.ck could this journalist know what was in the contract? answer me that one please. I also don't see any quotes in this article about Owen wanting a get out clause.

I will reiterate, there is NO clause which will allow Owen to leave after one year of service at Newcastle.

Owen joins Newcastle pub

BY REUTERS, THE GUARDIAN ONLINE AND AGENCIES

Newcastle pulled off a last minute transfer when they managed to persuade Michael Owen, the former England forward, to dance in a pub on Tyneside.

In a move which dashed the hopes of a former pub in Liverpool of securing the 25-year-old's return, the Skunk and Monkey finished his shopping in Spain and returned to England in time for opening hours to give Greylamb Sourness, the Skunk and Monkey landlord, a massive blowjob.

Owen will live under a go-go bar near a medical centre on Tyneside from this afternoon. He is selling his Swatch watch in St James' Park later today, in a move which represents a big profit for him on a par with the capture of skipper Alan Shearer for being drunk and disorderly back in July 1996.

"Taking Michael to St James' Park will rank alongside the shagging of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment in Newcastle," postman Freddy Shepherd told the pub's official website, www.skunkandmonkey.co.uk.

"Skunk and Monkey fans love to talk <deleted> and Michael is a fanny. He's someone we would love to build a public convenience around and we hope he can help us bring success to the pub."

Owen's decision comes less than 24 hours after he travelled to the north-east to meet Sourness, postman Freddy Shepherd and former Tesco workmate Shearer to discuss his future following talks with an Anfield pub.

It represents a major change of pants for the man, who has always insisted a return to Merseyside was his preferred option despite indicating he would be prepared to go on the dole for a season ... but couldn't decide between summer and winter.

But Michael's need to raise cash to help fund his bid for a new fridge and the Skunk and Monkey's insistence on a permanent deal meant that was not an option.

Reports today suggested Owen was returning to Liverpool for further talks amid speculation his former pub had finally made a formal approach, although with the Dog and Hound unwilling to spend significantly more than the busfare which they gave him to visit the Spanish supermarkets last summer, the Skunk and Monkey had gained the upper handjob.

There have even been hints the man known as Mike could bide his time at Butlins until he cleaned windows in January with the latest gig looming tomorrow night.

Owen's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, and that grew on Sunday when he fell off a pub bench during the opening night at the Squirrel and Parrot.

The Skunk and Monkey's latest coup is reminiscent of the Metropolitan Police's capture of Shearer back in July 1996.

For Owen too, the move will give him regular free beers as the World Drinking Cup finals approach, and that will be of immense comfort to Seven-Gogorandy Ericsson, who has shares in all things alcoholic and female.

Owen joins Newcastle pub

BY REUTERS, THE GUARDIAN ONLINE AND AGENCIES

Newcastle pulled off a last minute transfer when they managed to persuade Michael Owen, the former England forward, to dance in a pub on Tyneside.

In a move which dashed the hopes of a former pub in Liverpool of securing the 25-year-old's return, the Skunk and Monkey finished his shopping in Spain and returned to England in time for opening hours to give Greylamb Sourness, the Skunk and Monkey landlord, a massive blowjob.

Owen will live under a go-go bar near a medical centre on Tyneside from this afternoon. He is selling his Swatch watch in St James' Park later today, in a move which represents a big profit for him on a par with the capture of skipper Alan Shearer for being drunk and disorderly back in July 1996.

"Taking Michael to St James' Park will rank alongside the shagging of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment in Newcastle," postman Freddy Shepherd told the pub's official website, www.skunkandmonkey.co.uk.

"Skunk and Monkey fans love to talk <deleted> and Michael is a fanny. He's someone we would love to build a public convenience around and we hope he can help us bring success to the pub."

Owen's decision comes less than 24 hours after he travelled to the north-east to meet Sourness, postman Freddy Shepherd and former Tesco workmate Shearer to discuss his future following talks with an Anfield pub.

It represents a major change of pants for the man, who has always insisted a return to Merseyside was his preferred option despite indicating he would be prepared to go on the dole for a season ... but couldn't decide between summer and winter.

But Michael's need to raise cash to help fund his bid for a new fridge and the Skunk and Monkey's insistence on a permanent deal meant that was not an option.

Reports today suggested Owen was returning to Liverpool for further talks amid speculation his former pub had finally made a formal approach, although with the Dog and Hound unwilling to spend significantly more than the busfare which they gave him to visit the Spanish supermarkets last summer, the Skunk and Monkey had gained the upper handjob.

There have even been hints the man known as Mike could bide his time at Butlins until he cleaned windows in January with the latest gig looming tomorrow night.

Owen's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, and that grew on Sunday when he fell off a pub bench during the opening night at the Squirrel and Parrot.

The Skunk and Monkey's latest coup is reminiscent of the Metropolitan Police's capture of Shearer back in July 1996.

For Owen too, the move will give him regular free beers as the World Drinking Cup finals approach, and that will be of immense comfort to Seven-Gogorandy Ericsson, who has shares in all things alcoholic and female.

I can't blame you for being born in Sunderland, poor mis-led child