Canadians In Thailand

jazzbo

Whenever I meet someone who is obviously an American in Thailand I ask them if they are Canadian ... If you ask an American if they are Canadian they say something like 'Naahh .. I'm from Ohio' but if you ask a Canadian if they are American then woe betide ... to the point that they have Canadian flag decals or emblems on their back-packs ...

DoRightCast.JPG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ask an American if they are Canadian they say something like 'Naahh .. I'm from Ohio'

Actually, if you asked me if I'm from Canada, I would probably respond with something like "How'd you know?" I always tell people I'm from Canada. So do many of my friends from the states. Just saves any anti American hassles. Nobody hates Canadians.

Come to think of it, that may be your answer. If you had a bunch of ugly Americans impersonating your countrymen, you might be a little sensitive about your nationality too...

Just a thought.

Nobody hates Canadians... Amongst the Thai population (just about) nobody hates Americans either ... just a sore point with other farang which is why I exercise a lot of farang-free time ... beyond that as per OP post #1:

Forum Rule #21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum...

Nobody hates Canadians... Amongst the Thai population (just about) nobody hates Americans either ... just a sore point with other farang which is why I exercise a lot of farang-free time ... beyond that as per OP post #1:

Forum Rule #21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum...

you replying to yourself (brit by chance?):lol:

I think if you met more Canadians you would see that we are not that homogeneous. You will get all sorts of replies. I like Americans, and since everyone assumes I am American, based on my accent, I am not offended by that. I am proud to tell them I am Canadian though.

It was fashionable a while back in Canada to be anti American, I thought that was dumb.

I have noticed however that Europeans are pretty negative about Americans, particularly some Brits, but even more so, the Aussies really have a bug up there butt about Americans. Of course none these folks are stereotyping :whistling:.

Some of the best people I know are American.

What I think is funny is when people apologize for assuming I was American.

Edited by canuckamuck

The topic was Canadians in Thailand ...As that wonderfully talented Canadian -- among many especially The Band -- Mike Myers (as SNL's Barbara Richmond) would put it:

Whenever Linda would get upset, she would put her hand on her chest and say "I'm all faklempt" or "I'm a little faklempt." Then she would say, "Talk amongst yourselves", sometimes waving her hand in a dismissive gesture toward the audience

The topic was Canadians in Thailand ...As that wonderfully talented Canadian -- among many especially The Band -- Mike Myers (as SNL's Barbara Richmond) would put it:

Whenever Linda would get upset, she would put her hand on her chest and say "I'm all faklempt" or "I'm a little faklempt." Then she would say, "Talk amongst yourselves", sometimes waving her hand in a dismissive gesture toward the audience

The topic may say that but in practice it's nothing to do with TH unless you think Canadians in other countries hold a different set of opinions to those here - regarding people from the States?

If you want to be one, I have a 15 year old ratty look team canada hockey cap I can send you by post so you can know what it feels like to kick our neighbors behind in hockey? :lol:

People from Texas don't like to be told they sound like they are from Oklahoma. I had a wife from Missouri who swore she was from Texas when we both lived in Arkansas. When I was younger and lived in Texas and when people asked me where I was from I told them, “Colorado, you know that place where good Texans go when they die.” People from NYC think the rest of America is completely nonessential and vica versa.

Since half of my family lives in Canada I get introduced a lot, “I'd like you to meet my father. Where's he from?

Where you from this year dad?” Canadians from Toronto, Vancouver, Quebec city might as well be from different countries in my experience. West coast Canadian people strike me as more American in speech patterns and I doubt a French Canadian accent will ever be confused with a person from Alabama. And of course there are the Newfy jokes.

I have had so many good experiences in Canada, sailing, skiing, dining, working and making children that I find it hard to say anything negative about the country. I have mentioned it before that if I wasn't living in Thailand I would be in Victoria, my second favorite place in the world. I guess I have never asked a Canadian where they are from because in most cases their accent gives them away.

I don't know if any of you people ever ran into Sam from Canada. He used to live in Pattaya. Bar girls used to pay him to take his shirt off in Go go's. Sam was a good looking guy in very good shape. One night he decided to have some fun with the ladies and since there was a group of us going out he asked if we could act like his attendants. We walked into a large disco like security personal and announced that the King of Canada was coming to dance. Five minutes later Sam walked in. You know how Thais react to royalty. That night Sam, the King of Canada had the run of the place.

If you are ever on Walking Street and are asked about the King of Canada, tell em you know Sam and you won't go home alone.

Someone asked me once if I was Canadian. I responded "no" but you have a very discerning eye as I was a permanent resident of Canada for many years. I went on to ask, "what clues did I give that allowed you to deduce my link to Canada"? "Was it the donut I was eating"?

I think if you met more Canadians you would see that we are not that homogeneous. You will get all sorts of replies. I like Americans, and since everyone assumes I am American, based on my accent, I am not offended by that. I am proud to tell them I am Canadian though.

It was fashionable a while back in Canada to be anti American, I thought that was dumb.

I have noticed however that Europeans are pretty negative about Americans, particularly some Brits, but even more so, the Aussies really have a bug up there butt about Americans. Of course none these folks are stereotyping :whistling:.

Some of the best people I know are American.

What I think is funny is when people apologize for assuming I was American.

I went to visit my friend in Jungceylon. She works attempting to sign folks up to view condos. Her boss was there and our introduction went like this:

Me: How's it goin'? My name is Jack.

Her Boss: Not bad...

Me: So where you from? ( I wasn't sure if he was Aussie or Kiwi or English)

Her boss: Australia. Where you from?

Me: I'm from America.

The <deleted>: Well! We won't talk about that will we??

It seems that every Aussie I've met here in Thailand starts out of the chute with this negative Krap. Whats up with this?? I just held my tongue as my wife steered me away from "having a little chat with this punk" and the good thing is I once again avoided jail time.

Being a Canadian inThailand I find the Brits here seem to treat us like we are still a colony and know nothing and are stupid backwards ignorant people who shouldnot have opinions or say anything in public. Americans call us mexicans of the north which implies we are nothing more than cheap labour and resources. So please when you talk to this canadian donot confuse me with america or britian.

Go Habs Go.....

The "Habs" are the hockey team from Montreal, right?

I heard someone say, "Go Leafs Go" in a bar in Canada once and asked him what it meant. He explained that he was a fan of the Toronto hockey team, and they are called the Toronto Maple Leafs. I know that there's a maple leaf on the flag of Canada, so that makes sense, but I know for a fact that the plural of the 'leaf' is 'leaves', so I'm a bit confused by the word 'leafs'.

Anyway, I know some Canadians who couldn't care less if they are mistaken for an American and some who do take offense. I think with the increased global military aggression shown by the USA and obvious BS reasons to start wars, especially in the Middle East (where there precious oil is) more Canadians might want to make it clear that they are not American, so any emotional insistence denying US association could be forgiven.

Being a Canadian inThailand I find the Brits here seem to treat us like we are still a colony and know nothing and are stupid backwards ignorant people who shouldnot have opinions or say anything in public. Americans call us mexicans of the north which implies we are nothing more than cheap labour and resources. So please when you talk to this canadian donot confuse me with america or britian.

I grew up in Washington state just across the border from B.C.. This is the first time I have heard the Mexican of the north thing eh? I have many Canadian friends and always just figured they were just that...friends,eh? Maybe just the area I'm from but have never heard any disparaging words for the Canadians.

Kiwis are not crazy about being called Australian either.

Think it happens all over the world..

When people ask me where are you from ..So i tell them im from wales rolleyes.gif ..then they say i know you are english right angry.gif

I always tell people I'm from Canada. So do many of my friends from the states

Man, that's lame. While I'm not even slightly ashamed of being American, I'm no flag-waving uber-patriotic idiot either -- but I'd never deny where I was from no matter where it was. Especially not because some as***les wanted to judge me based on where I was born. They have a problem with me because of the passport I carry? (when I myself have zero prejudice against any nationality?) And I'm supposed to let those cretins make me cower and lie?

Nope. Not going to happen.

Americans call us mexicans of the north

<deleted>? I've never even heard that said, let alone said it myself.

especially in the Middle East (where there precious oil is)

Yeah, it must be nice to live in all the rest of the countries where oil isn't precious...

I heard someone say, "Go Leafs Go" in a bar in Canada once and asked him what it meant. He explained that he was a fan of the Toronto hockey team, and they are called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

When Nelson Mandela was released after 28 years one of his first questions was "Did the Leafs win the cup yet?"

i lived near the border of Canada and the US for a while and have never heard anything remotely like this. In fact, I do not remember hearing any Americans having anything bad to say about Canadians at all.

I had it said to my face in Thailand by an american. I lived near the border all my life also.30 years on the prairies and 25 years on Vancouver island. I amnot saying it is a dinner table everyday use but have heard it more often then I care too. I also have many american friends I sailed with and against that are good friends that admit to me they are aware that many americans only see us as "mexicans from the north" and they make a real effort to let me know that isnot their feelings. But we are talking Thailand here and like I said it was said right to my face,here in Thailand and the consensus was with the guy who said it.

Another time an american said the reason thais donot understand me is because of my mexican accent.

Edited by lovelomsak

Go Habs Go.....

The "Habs" are the hockey team from Montreal, right?

I heard someone say, "Go Leafs Go" in a bar in Canada once and asked him what it meant. He explained that he was a fan of the Toronto hockey team, and they are called the Toronto Maple Leafs. I know that there's a maple leaf on the flag of Canada, so that makes sense, but I know for a fact that the plural of the 'leaf' is 'leaves', so I'm a bit confused by the word 'leafs'.

Toronto came up with that on their own, we just decided not to correct them as they were trying really hard and it was a pretty good try.

I don't think many of us aussies had issues with the US until George W was voted in. I can't pick the difference in accent between US and Canada so just ask where people are from instead of trying to guess and getting it wrong and inadvertantly upsetting someone.

I've heard many people say they can't pick the difference between the oz and kiwi accent. We have no trouble picking it, the kiwis have not trouble picking it but I haven't had many people from other countries able to notice the difference.

Mind you, you do have a few different accents within the US so it's a bit confusing to us anyway. Best just to have a few beers and then let the person tell you in their own time. :D

i lived near the border of Canada and the US for a while and have never heard anything remotely like this. In fact, I do not remember hearing any Americans having anything bad to say about Canadians at all.

I had it said to my face in Thailand by an american. I lived near the border all my life also.30 years on the prairies and 25 years on Vancouver island. I amnot saying it is a dinner table everyday use but have heard it more often then I care too. I also have many american friends I sailed with and against that are good friends that admit to me they are aware that many americans only see us as "mexicans from the north" and they make a real effort to let me know that isnot their feelings. But we are talking Thailand here and like I said it was said right to my face,here in Thailand and the consensus was with the guy who said it.

Another time an american said the reason thais donot understand me is because of my mexican accent.

I grew up in Detroit and Toronto. Never heard it.

I lived in Everett Washington and visited Canada weekly, never heard it.

I lived in Florida in a large Canadian retirement area and never heard it.

First time for me was on Thai Visa today.