Canadians In Thailand

jazzbo

I don't think many of us aussies had issues with the US until George W was voted in. I can't pick the difference in accent between US and Canada so just ask where people are from instead of trying to guess and getting it wrong and inadvertantly upsetting someone.

I've heard many people say they can't pick the difference between the oz and kiwi accent. We have no trouble picking it, the kiwis have not trouble picking it but I haven't had many people from other countries able to notice the difference.

Mind you, you do have a few different accents within the US so it's a bit confusing to us anyway. Best just to have a few beers and then let the person tell you in their own time. :D

100% of the Aussies I know are or were in the military. Never heard any issues with the US. First time I encountered any Aussie anti American sentiment was on Thai Visa.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americans call us mexicans of the north

i lived near the border of Canada and the US for a while and have never heard anything remotely like this. In fact, I do not remember hearing any Americans having anything bad to say about Canadians at all.

I had it said to my face in Thailand by an american. I lived near the border all my life also.30 years on the prairies and 25 years on Vancouver island. I amnot saying it is a dinner table everyday use but have heard it more often then I care too. I also have many american friends I sailed with and against that are good friends that admit to me they are aware that many americans only see us as "mexicans from the north" and they make a real effort to let me know that isnot their feelings. But we are talking Thailand here and like I said it was said right to my face,here in Thailand and the consensus was with the guy who said it.

Another time an american said the reason thais donot understand me is because of my mexican accent.

Don't buy it.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Agreed, Americans don't call Canadians Mexicans of the North. Never heard it before right now and there is no way that was ever pervasive. The worst slurs I have ever heard that way are back in the days before Canadian money was stronger, some silly Americans called Canadian money Monopoly money (as in play money, not real money, big deal). Then there are the "polite" jokes as in you guys are too polite (that must be devastating to hear) and also the "eh?" mimicking jokes. You don't consider the word Canucks a slur, do you?

Over my life, I have resorted to posing as Canadian on a few occasions when I felt my life might be threatened for being American. A couple of times for fun with taxi drivers abroad, in which case, I was exposed to anti-American references, and it was assumed I would sympathetic being Canadian.

Edited by Jingthing

i lived near the border of Canada and the US for a while and have never heard anything remotely like this. In fact, I do not remember hearing any Americans having anything bad to say about Canadians at all.

I had it said to my face in Thailand by an american. I lived near the border all my life also.30 years on the prairies and 25 years on Vancouver island. I amnot saying it is a dinner table everyday use but have heard it more often then I care too. I also have many american friends I sailed with and against that are good friends that admit to me they are aware that many americans only see us as "mexicans from the north" and they make a real effort to let me know that isnot their feelings. But we are talking Thailand here and like I said it was said right to my face,here in Thailand and the consensus was with the guy who said it.

Another time an american said the reason thais donot understand me is because of my mexican accent.

I grew up in Detroit and Toronto. Never heard it.

I lived in Everett Washington and visited Canada weekly, never heard it.

I lived in Florida in a large Canadian retirement area and never heard it.

First time for me was on Thai Visa today.

So now you heard it. Maybe somethings in life just donot noticed till they are pointed out. There are many things said on thai visa I never heard before but seem to be common to those in the know.

Let's get real here. Other than in border areas, Americans think about Mexicans 100 times more often than they think about Canadians. You're just not that hot and you're certainly not controversial. Now that your country isn't even good for a bargain vacation, don't expect it to get any better. Even this presumed common slur "Mexicans of the North" which in reality is not on most people's radar is based on MEXICANS. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Jingthing

I met a Canadian guy in Surat Thani once who was totally losing it over something about his bus ticket, yelling and throwing a conniption fit, and one Thai girl said in Thai to the other, "where is he from?" and the second girl said, " He says hes from America" I turned and said in Thai, no he's Canadian. He had a very clear Eastern Canadian accent.

So, no its not just the Americans that do it, apparently.

Anyway, ask an Austrian if they are German. Or a Belgian if they are French or Dutch. A Kiwi if he's Aussie. Or a Cambodian if he's Thai. Same the world over.

Never heard the "Mexicans of the North" comment ever, though I have heard the Canadian Dollar called the Canadian Peso. These days it's usually worth a cent or two more than the US dollar, so that's fallen into disuse. Certainly there's some Americans who talk crap about us, but I think they get far more than they give on average.

<br />Canadians who spaz out over being called Americans need to relax a bit. I have a fondness for our southern neighbours and don't see being mistaken for one as an insult.<br /><br />It's more entertaining to make fun of the Brits anyway<br /><br />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td22UnQFHz4

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi and thanks for the clip of this very clever entertainer.

The longer I live in this expat community, the more i feel at home with Canadians and Aussies.

Astonishingly, we Brits can really laugh at ourselves and our odd way of speaking the language we created. The one you lot still name after our motherland.

But as a Mod (I believe.....???) you STILL have to explain what the hxll this topic is doing here in Thailand...??? No....?????

Don't buy it.

Agreed. It's a ridiculous thing to say, makes no sense. I've lived next to the border for many, many, many years. I've traveled from one end of Canada to the other. Use to work in Alberta. I was a snowbird for several years in campgrounds where 75% of the folk were Canadians...we had some barn burner parties! But never heard a comment like this and actually...never heard a disparaging word about Canadians. Never from any American. Though lately I've heard a lot of jealously lately as the "Loonie" became worth more than the dollar! :lol:

I always tell people I'm from Canada. So do many of my friends from the states

Man, that's lame. While I'm not even slightly ashamed of being American, I'm no flag-waving uber-patriotic idiot either -- but I'd never deny where I was from no matter where it was. Especially not because some as***les wanted to judge me based on where I was born. They have a problem with me because of the passport I carry? (when I myself have zero prejudice against any nationality?) And I'm supposed to let those cretins make me cower and lie?

Nope. Not going to happen.

&lt;deleted&gt;? I've never even heard that said, let alone said it myself.

especially in the Middle East (where there precious oil is)

Yeah, it must be nice to live in all the rest of the countries where oil isn't precious...

You're right,precious was the wrong word to use. When you consider that the population of the USA makes up about 0.045% of the world population, yet they use 26% of the world's oil supplies, it can't be very precious to them. I guess the point I was trying to make is that the USA has gained a global reputation for doing ANYTHING to get their oil, regardless of how atrocious their methods are seen to be in the world's eye.

I believe Americans are 4.45% of the population, but I suck at math

LOL -- no, I suck at math. You're right.

Either way, I think a lot of people see it as quite disproportional and that Americans have an unhealthy appetite for oil that causes them to take some unpopular and and unsavory actions to secure more than their share.

... especially in the Middle East (where their precious oil is)

Top 5 Countries US Oil Imports Barrels per day (OCT 2010)

CANADA

MEXICO

SAUDI ARABIA

VENEZUELA

NIGERIA

http://www.eia.doe.g...ent/import.html

I see you corrected my "there". Actually, my typo was wasn't using the wrong form, intending to say "their". I certainly know and consistently use the correct one. It should have said "the".

Anyway, I'll trust your numbers and only conclude that The US government doesn't want to keep securing oil by legitimate means like paying for it and importing it from stable countries when there's a whole mess of it sitting in places like Iraq just waiting to taken without the need for fair negotiation.

... especially in the Middle East (where their precious oil is)

Top 5 Countries US Oil Imports Barrels per day (OCT 2010)

CANADA

MEXICO

SAUDI ARABIA

VENEZUELA

NIGERIA

http://www.eia.doe.g...ent/import.html

I see you corrected my "there". Actually, my typo was wasn't using the wrong form, intending to say "their". I certainly know and consistently use the correct one. It should have said "the".

Anyway, I'll trust your numbers and only conclude that The US government doesn't want to keep securing oil by legitimate means like paying for it and importing it from stable countries when there's a whole mess of it sitting in places like Iraq just waiting to taken without the need for fair negotiation.

Come on...the US gets less than 5% of its oil from Iraq. As posted above, Canada is #1 for imports. But 40% of US oil comes from the US itself. Ever been to Texas? California? Oklahoma? BTW, I get royalties from oil in Oklahoma. A whopping $200/year.

Fair negotiation. Sad that many people think this is true... :angry:

Not to belabor how 'the' could have morphed into the typo 'there' but it reminded me of the photograph of President Nixon's secretary Rosemary Woods demonstrating the contorted position she must have been when she 'accidentally' erased some critical minutes creating the 'gap' in the infamous 'Watergate Tapes'...

Rose_Mary_Woods.jpg

Not to belabor how 'the' could have morphed into the typo 'there' but it reminded me of the photograph of President Nixon's secretary Rosemary Woods demonstrating the contorted position she must have been when she 'accidentally' erased some critical minutes creating the 'gap' in the infamous 'Watergate Tapes'...

Rose_Mary_Woods.jpg

LOL Get a life!

How more could have belabored it more when you take the time to write a paragraph, then search for and add a big photo.

I wrote "there' accidentally when I intended to write 'the' but your tacky childish little comment shows that you don't understand how anybody could possible write the wrong word.

As you obviously don't have a life, go search through my posts and see my consistently correct use of "their', 'there', and 'they're'.

As you obviously don't have a life ... Obviously? Thank you...BTW welcome to the big time.

then search for and add a big photo... Search for one of the most famous photos of the 70s.

Edited by jazzbo

I feel I should carlify this "mexican of the north" issue. I myself never heard it until a friend of mine who i sailed with was one of the canadian lawyers assigned to work out NAFTA, returned from Texas with a new bride who happened to have been an american who also was working on NAFTA but on the american side. Here I must admit most of the "mexican fron the north " statements were second hand stories from this woman relating to what was said about us canadians by the powers working to bring in NAFTA. From what she told myself and friends and many dinner parties for the most part the american contingent of NAFTA commonly made statements like "Those mexicans from the north will sign it because we will make them." or "dealing with these Northern mexicans is a pain in the ass". or "when will these northern mexicans learn their place" Yes it is commonly used in power places maybe not in public at sport events or bars, but at board meetings you can bet your boots it is. Like I said in my first post it just means we are cheap labour and resources, a colloquial term, used by powerful americans.

But Thailand was the first place I ever had it said to my face, as a derogatory term by an american.

What I think is funny is when people apologize for assuming I was American.

I've run into the exact same thing, Canuckamuck. I get asked if I'm American lots of times. It doesn't bother me at all.

Actually, I haven't much use for people who think they are superior due entirely to their nationality. I am impressed by the quiet few who DEMONSTRATE they are superior by what they say and do. Celebrities don't impress me at all. It's how people treat others that makes me notice them... either for the good or the bad.

...for the most part the american contingent of NAFTA commonly made statements like "Those mexicans from the north will sign it because we will make them." or "dealing with these Northern mexicans is a pain in the ass". or "when will these northern mexicans learn their place" Yes it is commonly used in power places maybe not in public at sport events or bars, but at board meetings you can bet your boots it is.

The more you say, the less plausible it sounds.

(Especially given that you went from " have heard it more often then (sic) I care too " to "most of the 'mexican fron the north' statements were second hand stories".)

Put down that shovel.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I was always impressed with Pierre Trudeau especially when he married Margaret/Maggie 30 years his junior -- maybe (sans marriage) my inspiration for Thailand.

Did you come here looking for an acrimonious public divorce?