Canadians In Thailand

jazzbo

...for the most part the american contingent of NAFTA commonly made statements like "Those mexicans from the north will sign it because we will make them." or "dealing with these Northern mexicans is a pain in the ass". or "when will these northern mexicans learn their place" Yes it is commonly used in power places maybe not in public at sport events or bars, but at board meetings you can bet your boots it is.

The more you say, the less plausible it sounds.

(Especially given that you went from " have heard it more often then (sic) I care too " to "most of the 'mexican fron the north' statements were second hand stories".)

Put down that shovel.

I opened my computer this morning my home page is yahoo canada. One of the front page articles is the Canadian finance minister stating the days of the "Canadian Peso" is over. Go read it yourself. Believe me now.I rest my case.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Obama says it - instead of a fellow Canadian - you might have a point. :blink:

You wouldnot happen to be an american living in denial would you. How I understand the article is that from now on the americans cannot say these derogatory things about us, because our dollar willnot drp for a longtime. I am sure Obama says it all the time but not to press. It is us canadians who throw it back in their face sorry.

Peace-loving Canada with a multi-cultural population of about 33 million has had one native born Nobel Prize in Literature winner that being Saul Bellow who left Canada at age nine, became an American citizen, and based most of his writings in Chicago. Ireland -- with a population of about 6 million -- has had four Nobel Prize winners for Literature.

from The Third Man screenplay by Graham Greene (English):

HARRY (as played by Orson Welles)

- in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed, but they produced Michaelangelo - Leonardo Da Vinci, and the Renaissance...

In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce?...The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly.

Edited by jazzbo

lovelomsak

I think you're claims about what you've heard, where you heard it, and how often you heard it -- as well as your unsupported assertions about how common it is -- are highly suspect. Nothing said in your recent post or the article in question supports them in even the slightest way.

Here's the article:

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said on Friday he sees no return to the days of the "Canadian peso", saying the strong currency reflects confidence in the country's economy.

"Business people I've met here certainly share the view -- small business people and big business people -- that the Canadian dollar is not likely to go back to the days of being relatively cheap vis a vis the U.S. dollar. We're done with the Canadian peso," Flaherty told reporters in Vancouver where he was holding pre-budget consultations.

Flaherty said he will present his next budget in March and hopes it will not trigger an election for the minority Conservative government. He will listen to the opposition's requests if they are "good ideas," he said.

(Reporting by Allan Dowd and Leah Schnurr; Writing by Louise Egan; editing by Rob Wilson)

How I understand the article is that from now on the americans cannot say these derogatory things about us, because our dollar willnot drp for a longtime.

Really?! That's how you understand that article? I think there's some real question about your ability to understand what you read -- either that or your intellectual honesty. Because it's says absolutely nothing of the sort nor does it imply it. By the way, the origin of "Canadian Peso" is apparently thus:

Slang for the Canadian dollar during the nineties when it was substantially devalued relative to the American dollar. The Mexicanpeso was also substantially reduced in value during this time, hence the connection. The phrase is less commonly heard in recent times, as the Canadian and American currencies have been nearly at par.

You do realize the term has no apparent connection to any slur against Canadians nor is it clear in any way that it's an indicator of derogatory and discriminatory attitudes typically held by Americans towards Canadians? (I have refrained thus far from pointing out that implicit in your posit is that "Mexican" is an inherently insulting thing to be called; while you may feel that way and no doubt many Americans do, I do not and I'm sure there are many other Americans who'd think as I do -- I'm not willing to concede that as many Americans as you claim go around using "Mexican" as an insult and apparently expect that it would not only be understood as such and generally acceptable to others.

Anyway, I'm not even claiming no one has ever used the slur you cited. I'm just saying your claims are implausible and the more you try and prop them up, the weaker they look.

Edited Because I Can't Type Worth A D_mn

Edited by SteeleJoe

In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce?...The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly.

Almost every Swiss person I have ever met, or all of them in fact, would take great issue with that.

Almost every Swiss person I have ever met, or all of them in fact, would take great issue with that.

I should think so. With a role in, or responsibility for, the advent and/or development of:

The Tax Revolt

Direct Democracy

The pencil

The newspaper

The electric telegraph

The internal combustion engine

Playing cards

Contact lenses

Vivisection

Organ transplantation

The Red Cross

No doubt there's more. All while achieving massive wealth and development that it suatains to this day. Not to mention that "Harry" far overstates the role and impact of the Borgias. The qoute is amusing (though overused IMO) and I almsot wish it were accurate as it would sort of uphold some of the things I like to believe - but it aint.

Really getting silly, now -- aren't I? But it amuses me.

I think Harry Lyme and the writer Graham Greene were referring to Swiss Culture vs. Italian Culture ... I don't really care, JT, about the sensitivities of other cultures such as the Costa Ricans as I have had no on-line quarrels with them -- ... and with apologies to GB Shaw -- one of the Nobel Literature Prize-winners born in Ireland: Those that can, do; those that can't go fishing,

Edited by jazzbo

As much as I enjoy a good debate on ANYTHING ANYWHERE, I'm frankly surprised this topic has lasted as long as it has. Only very remotely does it have ANYTHING to do about Thailand. Most Thais couldn't find Canada on a world map, let alone know anything about its people and Canada's relationship with the United States of American. Yanks and Canucks are mostly friends who like teasing each other over anything and everything. Canadians don't have any animosity directed at anyone. That is entirely unlike most other countries in the world.

They're rioting in Africa, they're starving in Spain

There's hurricanes in Florida and Texas needs Rain

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls

The French hate the Germans and the Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch

I and I don't like anyone very much.

But we can be tranquille and thankful and proud

Man's been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud

And we know for certain that some lovely day

Someone will set the spark off

And we will all be blown away

I think Harry Lyme and the writer Graham Greene were referring to Swiss Culture vs. Italian Culture ... I don't really care

Well, I was referencing the cuckoo clock, it has sod all to do with Switzerland, or Canada for that matter. Graham Greene, being a very good author would have known that, which means the comment you made is hardly likely to be his.

Look at the Moose -- Americans hardly even THINK about Canadians, much less bother wasting valuable slurs on them.

Next ...

Well it's been a long time since we burned down the White house, water under the bridge and all that.

I am sure it is a minor point but when was the White house burned and what date did Canada become a nation? Frankly I always blamed the Brits for burning the White house.

Forum Rule 7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

So please stop picking on us helpless mis-guided Yanks in Thailand and let us enjoy our worthless Fiat money in peace and quiet being assured that our entire economy is doomed to collapse ... why just the other day a Thai girl said I would love to go out with you Jazz but my family prohibits me from dating a Keynesian.

I think Harry Lyme and the writer Graham Greene were referring to Swiss Culture vs. Italian Culture ... I don't really care

Well, I was referencing the cuckoo clock, it has sod all to do with Switzerland, or Canada for that matter. Graham Greene, being a very good author would have known that, which means the comment you made is hardly likely to be his.

This is very disturbing news.

Who did invent the f...ing cuckoo clock then?