Goverment Changing Land Title

refering back to my other post.land titles.last 2 days goverment surveyors have been doing just that to every house in the village,all villagers asked same question whats going on? was told to wife that 1 rai or less with house was to be changed to sorpor kor and the tor bor har tiltle on the 1 rai or less, is now sor por kor.on which you can borrow money from bank[not chanoute]the rest of your land remains tor bor ha.i feel you should show this in farming as well as others may have feed back to whats happening.in the country.Cause i am bloody confused.

cat

I don't know about your situation but when government surveyers went around grand dads village, people first got a bit scared, then they got happy after they had been explained that it was something good they were doing.

I don't know how true this is in your case but I highly doubt that the government surveyers would do something not benefitting everybody

Good Luck

I don't know about your situation but when government surveyers went around grand dads village, people first got a bit scared, then they got happy after they had been explained that it was something good they were doing.

I don't know how true this is in your case but I highly doubt that the government surveyers would do something not benefitting everybody

Good Luck

Thanks mikey,why sor bor kor ,not a title closer to chanute,confuse's me,and i am with khun jean,many spoilt kids or crazy money making ideas will costs people the land.

cat

Sor Por Kor is properly surveyed and the borders physically pegged and documented on the paper that evidences the right to occupy the land. It is not land ownership - far from it. It cannot legally be transferred, except through inheritance, but many Thais do sell it within wider families and to complete strangers. Many falangs finance such purchases at some risk to themselves! How much risk in practice - I have never got to the bottom of.

Its indisputable borders and value to an occupier is presumably what makes it valuable security to banks. I don't know whether banks would lend to someone who has 'bought' the land from an original grantee family (I would be interested to know). I would be surprised if they do as there is always a risk that a distant family member raises stink about the legality of holding the Sor Por Kor in those circumstances.

I would also be interested to know if the Land Department will issue Sor Por Kors to those who have bought - rather than held long term within the family - Por Bor Tor 5 land (called Tor Bor Har in above posts) when they are doing these village surveys and whether they investigate where the money to finance the purchase came from if they see a falang around. Presumably yes to the former because the land was not granted to families to be kept in families and there is no legal restriction on transferring it.

I'm no lawyer but I did do some research when we were considering buying some farm land in our area of Issaan, where Sor Por Kor is the only thing on offer. I know the legal risks of playing the same game Thais do with Sor Por Kor and only bought a few rai, the cost of which and any financial returns I have already written off in my mind. However I have never seen a full write up of the practical risks that acquiring Sor Por Kor land brings (ie what has happened with such transactions in practice). There seems to be only an occasional high profile case where the legal restrictions have been picked on to 'get at' an owner for wider personal and political reasons. It seems to me that introducing falangs into the equation of a feudal property rights system is likely to end in tears through changed Government policy or Land Department practice at some stage in the future.

Sorry - I've maybe wandered a bit off topic.

• 2 weeks later...

We got our Sor Por Kor 4-01 today after waiting several years (father in law had a bit piece of land allocated 35 years ago and 3 years ago commenced the process of splitting this up between 7 children). Husband was of the opinion that eventually the SPK4-01 would transfer to a chanote but reading IssanLaw it appears not - has anyone actually experienced this?

Sor Por Gor 4-01 (S.P.G.. 4-01), is an allotment of land from the Land Reformative Committee, and under no circumstance may this land be bought or sold. It confers the right to occupy only and be transferred only by inheritance. It seems that the land may be used for agriculture only