Another Great Steakhouse Down The Drain ...

luudee

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordering a steak well done upsets cooks.

it's none of a cook's fàcking business how a guest wants his steak to be prepared. he is paid to do it according to the guest's desire. if it upsets him he is free to jump from a balcony or cut his pecker of with a steak knife.

As far as its not the chefs buisness....welll...yes and no.

My pub in Somerset 20 years ago had a big big reputation for our steaks...localy grown,,matured and sold by the breeders brother......the beef was excellent.

One evening a 'Flash type...BMW sports car...blond girl..plenty of gold dangling came in and ordered the highest priced starter and steak....which was a 12 ounce fillet.....well done he said.

Ok,although I would not have grilled it more than 3 mins each side..t.he customer wanted it well done so thats what he had...grilled it longer and of course it had shrunk some.

He returned it,proclaiming it was still raw.

Now as everyone knows a fillet steak is the cream of steaks and is cooked with reverence.....but this guy just would' nt stop complaining

so...back into the kitchen...into the microwave ...full power for quite a while.

Took it to him myself ...asked if it was to his liking....yes he said...well done as I wanted.

Now a fillet steak will shrink even if rare. This guy's steak from say the size of my hand shrank at least 50% maybe more....had lost all its juices..I was ashamed to serve it.

BUT...the customer is always right... if he's an idiot...a Flash Harry...or whatever..

Its the presumptionness of the chefs that is wrong...even when they know they are right. !!!

Santa-Fe has opened in Carefour B149 for a tasty T-Bone is one of there opening specials, i had one the other day, cooked M/R perfect, and actually more flavor than the B800 sirloin i had in Bruno's a couple weeks ago.

BTW When in Bruno's and you get a B500 service charge added, do you leave a cash tip as well? do the staff actually get the service charge?

Is that a 500 Baht flat fee add on or a percentage of your bill?

No its a 10% charge on the bill, you don't really get bills less than that in Bruno's lol. our bill was B5000ish hence s/c was around B500

Ordering a steak well done upsets cooks.

it's none of a cook's fàcking business how a guest wants his steak to be prepared. he is paid to do it according to the guest's desire. if it upsets him he is free to jump from a balcony or cut his pecker of with a steak knife.

As far as its not the chefs buisness....welll...yes and no.

My pub in Somerset 20 years ago had a big big reputation for our steaks...localy grown,,matured and sold by the breeders brother......the beef was excellent.

One evening a 'Flash type...BMW sports car...blond girl..plenty of gold dangling came in and ordered the highest priced starter and steak....which was a 12 ounce fillet.....well done he said.

Ok,although I would not have grilled it more than 3 mins each side..t.he customer wanted it well done so thats what he had...grilled it longer and of course it had shrunk some.

He returned it,proclaiming it was still raw.

Now as everyone knows a fillet steak is the cream of steaks and is cooked with reverence.....but this guy just would' nt stop complaining

so...back into the kitchen...into the microwave ...full power for quite a while.

Took it to him myself ...asked if it was to his liking....yes he said...well done as I wanted.

Now a fillet steak will shrink even if rare. This guy's steak from say the size of my hand shrank at least 50% maybe more....had lost all its juices..I was ashamed to serve it.

BUT...the customer is always right... if he's an idiot...a Flash Harry...or whatever..

Its the presumptionness of the chefs that is wrong...even when they know they are right. !!!

When I got an order for a well done filet steak our staff had instructions to tell the customer the cook would butterfly the steak. Cut it 90% open it up and cook it shaped like a butterfly instead of a tall cylinder. This would reduce the cooking time by at least ½. I don't know if one could ask a Thai restaurant to butterfly the steak. Maybe. Is this an international steak cooking word? Don't know because I have never ordered a steak other than, Raw, Rare or MR. We used to cook all the Chateaubriands (middle part of a tenderloin (filet)) in the oven after searing them on the grill. If any part of a Thai steer would be good it would be the tenderloin. The ones I have seen in the store seemed a bit small like a heifer and not a steer. Cow tenders are only good for stew.

for the record: anybody who mentions "steak" in context with "bloody" has no idea about meat/steaks. red meat juice/liquid is NOT blood. a steak or a piece of meat which is bloody can only be obtained from a freshly slaughtered animal (cannibals prefer humans) for a period of not more than 45 minutes (if not chilled or frozen). after that blood coagulates and is not liquid anymore.

repeat: there's no such thing like a bloody steak/piece of meat after exposure to heat preparation whether rare, medium or well done.

:jap:

Do you know what the term "Nit" means?

for the record: anybody who mentions "steak" in context with "bloody" has no idea about meat/steaks. red meat juice/liquid is NOT blood. a steak or a piece of meat which is bloody can only be obtained from a freshly slaughtered animal (cannibals prefer humans) for a period of not more than 45 minutes (if not chilled or frozen). after that blood coagulates and is not liquid anymore.

repeat: there's no such thing like a bloody steak/piece of meat after exposure to heat preparation whether rare, medium or well done.

:jap:

Do you know what the term "Nit" means?

I'll bite. What's a nit?

I was reading this thread with high interest and it is good to see that there are more people around who know what a steak is and what not. As the Rolling Stones sung already..." the meat I eat for dinner must be hung up for a week".

If you like your steaks well done, chances are, you do not like steaks at all. I suggest you order something else, a nice salad for instance or the soup du jour.

A steak is done enough if it still twitches if you put a mild AC current to it. A slight browning on the outside is acceptable. Applicable sauces contain cream. Plenty of cream.

If I would run a steak house and someone would order his steak well done I would probably show him the door. In the early/mid 60s Bob Dylan refused to appear in a TV show because they asked him to lip sync. What was supposed to be his breakthrough didn't happen the way it was supposed to be, instead he gained a lot of popularity by making his stance. I hope this explains the difference between professionalism and prostitution. A reasonable chef does not just cook for money.

So that should be reference enough to make clear that if you talk about steaks you do not confuse it with what our dear board member KDF served me a while ago...

post-6036-0-03854600-1296541485_thumb.jp

I was reading this thread with high interest and it is good to see that there are more people around who know what a steak is and what not. As the Rolling Stones sung already..." the meat I eat for dinner must be hung up for a week".

If you like your steaks well done, chances are, you do not like steaks at all. I suggest you order something else, a nice salad for instance or the soup du jour.

A steak is done enough if it still twitches if you put a mild AC current to it. A slight browning on the outside is acceptable. Applicable sauces contain cream. Plenty of cream.

If I would run a steak house and someone would order his steak well done I would probably show him the door. In the early/mid 60s Bob Dylan refused to appear in a TV show because they asked him to lip sync. What was supposed to be his breakthrough didn't happen the way it was supposed to be, instead he gained a lot of popularity by making his stance. I hope this explains the difference between professionalism and prostitution. A reasonable chef does not just cook for money.

So that should be reference enough to make clear that if you talk about steaks you do not confuse it with what our dear board member KDF served me a while ago...

Seems you forgot to add a little shoe cream.

I ate there about 6 times [last time about 2 years ago]. It progressively got worse until my last steak was left on the plate, with me never to return. Most of my friends no longer go either

I don't like the bloody look in a steak, I like it medium well, just till the pink disappears [slightly pink okay]. Their steaks at xxxx were not quality near the end, but we were paying a quality price.

I owned Italian restaurants in the states, we served steaks, although not a steak house. We always cooked the way a customer want and medium well is common and well is not uncommon. A quality restaurant tends to under-cook a steak, just a bit, with the knowledge that you can cook an undercooked steak a bit more, but cannot cook it less and therefore will have to cook a new one

My best luck for a decent steak here is the Royal Cliff, reasonable price, good service, good atmosphere, and they cook it the way you ask for it. You also get to chose your steak before hand if you want.

I am going to be in Beverly Hills in April and will be sure to hit Mastros Steak House, the best steak I ever had. Expensive, aged beef, but well worth it. i rarely eat beef here

If you like your steaks well done, chances are, you do not like steaks at all.

I suggest you order something else, a nice salad for instance or the soup du jour.

A steak is done enough if it still twitches if you put a mild AC current to it.

If I would run a steak house and someone would order his steak well done I would probably show him the door.

A reasonable chef does not just cook for money.

How many of you TV members like steak well done ?? Should you be told you are not worthy of a steak and that you really are only fooling yourselves and do not like steak at all.

How many of you steak eaters that do not get what you order....feel that you should then settle for soup or salad instead ??

How many of you carry around a battery and wires to test your steak ??

We are lucky Raro does not run a steak house.

A reasonable chef cooks for what his customers want to eat and pay for.....to pay his wages ultimately.

8 day old steak ??/ pass thankyou

you pass because you are not a connoisseur! true steak lovers like their steak being "hung" in a low temperature area (+5 - +8ºC) for a minimum of 7 days before it is put on the grill.

in australia i had a mature steak - very nice. i cannot remember the name of it, but it was matured for many, many weeks

its unbelievable to me how you guys can say if someone likes it well done . I don't like fat old girls, but lots of you do, to each his own, you like what you like and you should get what you want, especially when paying for it. Who am to tell you what you like or don't. If I order a steak medium well and they cook it the way I ask then its my problem if I like it or not. For you guys that had restaurants, or you wanna be restaurant owners, and say you didn't cook it the way the customer wants, I don't believe you, or you went out of business.

I don't eat or like many things I served in my restaurants, If I told people they couldn't order what they wanted I wouldn't be retired in Thailand

so far the poll says MW, by most, so there goes your opinions. I am sure MR will win in the end though

Lighten up boys

Edited by Lost in LOS

8 day old steak ??/ pass thankyou

you pass because you are not a connoisseur! true steak lovers like their steak being "hung" in a low temperature area (+5 - +8ºC) for a minimum of 7 days before it is put on the grill.

in australia i had a mature steak - very nice. i cannot remember the name of it, but it was matured for many, many weeks

Remember you can't do this at home! In the case of a ribeye steak the entire rib is aged not the individual steak. Sirloin steak the entire top butt is aged. Strip steak the entire strip loin. The primal cut is aged between 20 and 30 days under temperature controlled conditions. Dry aging temperature and humidity controls plus or minus only a few degrees. Your fridge at home is not big enough for the whole rib and the temp swings are greater than food safety allows. This is for the meat packer to do. You can flavour steaks by using a porking pickle or large syringe and inject stuff inside the roast. Marination only effects the surface of the meat a 1/4 inch maybe. Tenderizers or papaya based products to make tender makes the meat like mush and are unacceptable to most steak lovers. Pounding the meat with a mallet also breaks down the connective tissue but the end product is like mush.

If you want it well done the best alternative is to get it stewed like Swiss steak. Put it in a big skillet, brown it with a bunch of onions and whatever add some water and wine and cook it down low for a couple of hours. Or Beef Bourguignon, same principle. If I was going to eat Thai beef it would be stewed. You really can't expect much from Thai cooks. They have burned out their palates years ago with cayenne pepper. They can't taste much after childhood. It is like being a whiskey blender. Those poor guys don't get to swallow the whiskey and off duty they can only eat bland food to keep their taste buds sharp. Same for tea or beer. Thais will never make or buy quality beer simply because they can't taste the difference between anti freeze and ale.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The best for me is a barbecue of the complete steak from Argentina and in the style of "Argentina barbecue" around 2 4 kilogram of steak per unit

The steak need to be sealed with a lot of salt and in a very strong fire both sides trying to move the less as possible for not lost nothing of the juicy blood, this is around 10 or 15 minutes depending of the piece you need to check that all the steak is completely sealed, the rest of the process is keep the steak cooked in the own juice in very low fire, this could between 20 or 50 minutes depending of the size of the steak, one half per side, only control the fire and trying not moving at all the steak for lose nothing of juice.

but this need experience, 10 or 15 minutes after sealed, with a knife you open a bit some of the corners to check how cooked is inside and the taste for add or remove salt, or to control the fire,

the problem is that many wrong test that you do and many changes in the fire or salt affect the final result, losing flavor and juicy, in the worst case the steak get hard or gummy, in the best you get a very soft, juicy red steak.

Usually, you can have one corner with a bit more heat, so you can share with your friends around the fire, better with a Carmenere or Cabernet Chilean wine, while the girls play with the salad, you must do something in one hour of wait :)