Twitter / Facebook Language

DavidHouston

Friends,

I see that posters have been having difficulty adding entire Twitter or Facebook conversations for assistance in translation. In this regard I understand and support the moderators who believe in maintaining the privacy of conversations.

On the other hand, I think that inclusion of questions and discussion regarding the language used in these contexts is very helpful to us students of the Thai language, especially those whose social environments are within such a communications milieu.

I want to commend, especially, Peppy who has stepped up to the plate and attempted to render into English of t he same order many of these Tweets and postings. My understanding of the Thai language has certainly been enhanced as a result of his efforts on this site.

If posters were to post selected sentences from the Tweets, SMSs, posts, emails, and Facebook messages, instead of entire conversations with their identifying information, I believe that the moderators would be satisfied.

Mods, what do you think?

Thank you, David, for your kind words. I find translating this sort of material quite enjoyable, and I think it's a shame the thread was deleted. I didn't see anything private or revealing of anyone's actual identity in the information posted, so I don't really see what harm it did. Ah well.

This is from someones Facebook. I can't find any of the words in the dictionary.

I wonder what the translation would be.

post-28513-0-62893100-1295757626_thumb.j

You're joking... aren't you? biggrin.gif "I like this, it almost looks like I know how to write in the Thai language?!" What an ugly font! bah.gif

This is from someones Facebook. I can't find any of the words in the dictionary.

I wonder what the translation would be.

post-28513-0-62893100-1295757626_thumb.j

As a nowcomer to the Thai Language you had me fooled

FOR A LITTLE WHILE

Luckily, there's enough context to quite quickly recognize the (what peppy said) font. But this restaurant's logo really made me stare a minute wondering whether there's more ancient letters like ๅ which I might not know. Knowing ล for a lo ling, I didn't dream of it being a 'decorative' A. Finally, when I realized the distorted font, I decided to call this restaurant the "Old Larynx" rather than the "Tamarin(d?)" as LOTLRYNGTH was as close as my 'transliteration' went.