Am I A Farang?

LadyinRed

I feell that the term farang has become derogatory in many situations.

Similar to the word "Kaek" for Indian/Pakistanis/Arabs.

I think that it is going the same way as "Jaek" for chinese.

Using 'jaek' used to be ok, but now many take offense and it shouldn't be used.

I still use it a lot, especially when Tha/chinese call me, or my daughter, farang in a negative way.

Just listen to the pronunciation of "farang" when used for talking about Jonas, Andrew biggs etc, and when a farang does something bad.

Edited by Neeranam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use it a lot, especially when Tha/chinese call me, or my daughter, farang in a negative way.

Just listen to the pronunciation of "farang" when used for talking about Jonas, Andrew biggs etc, and when a farang does something bad.

So then you're talking about the context in which the term is used. Bring me up to date friend. Who's Jonas and what did he do that was bad to be called farang in a negative sense?

Jonas is a Swedish dude who is one of the best Thai country singers, in fact the most popular. Many Thais tell me that he is not farang, but Thai.

Just like some Thai friends who spent a long time at school or working in the Uk are called farang. This is usually negative as they have lost their ability in the Thai language and culture.

So, I disagree that the term farang only refers to white people.

Jonas is a Swedish dude who is one of the best Thai country singers, in fact the most popular. Many Thais tell me that he is not farang, but Thai.

Just like some Thai friends who spent a long time at school or working in the Uk are called farang. This is usually negative as they have lost their ability in the Thai language and culture.

So, I disagree that the term farang only refers to white people.

Okay. That's who I thought you meant, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks. Jonas often does concerts along with blonde cutie Kitty Gibson (my wife calls her Kitty). Isn't her name Christine or Christina? And you're right. In fact both of them are virtually regarded as Thai. I believe they've lived in Thailand quite a while. They're extremely good at what they do and embreace Thai life as much as the Thai people.

I agree wth you. Although they're farang, many Thai people regard them as Thai. Most Thai people I know acknowledge they are farang, but farangs who are like Thai people.

ewww. I don't wanna be the same term as white people! One time in a massage place a lady was channel surfing and stopped at a French channel. She stopped on it because it was a farang made jestures. I said I don't speak French and that is not my kind. A lady asked me if I was niggo?

Whenever I hear farang I stop and say in my now almost fluent Thai that it is a bad word. Say "kon internacional"--international person. I say in America the term foreigner means "outsider"

I also don't like the term black with a lower case b, therefore I am Africano and African American. I have made at least three people now say "sii loo" instead of "si dum" for black. That means "handsome color!"

I am changing the game in my little town when I am the only far... international person!

Technically you are a Farang....as farang means foreigner.

WRONG

Thai is much more specific.

All the asian nationals are refered to by their nationality, khon Singapore, etc.

Farang is for caucasians only, not asians!!

It is for anyone that is perceived to be caucasian, yes.

I have a friend whose parents originate from Northern India, but her skin is really white and she does not look Indian, more Caucasian, if forced to pick a common description. However, she was born in Thailand, speaks completely accent-free Thai and has Thai friends. Still, whenever she meets a new Thai, she has to start afresh and is viewed like a farang, not a khairk or a Thai - which is her real nationality.

Of course, people who acquire (or have since birth) dress, speech and other cultural aspects that seem to be American or European in style, even if they are Asian or African-looking, can be some sort of 'farang' too, if the Thais get to know this person, but they would not likely use it on first sight.

Farang = any foreigner is definitely incorrect, by any account.

I hearby vote for Meedish Sweetball as the smartest man on Thaivisa!

:o:D

What did I say that was different? :D

Because you were saying that the term farang is used (at least initially) on the basis of perception. Sometimes that perception isn't always correct. If your friend had been dressed in traditional Indian clothing, she might have been considered "khak". But even then, she still might have been considered a farang tourist dressed in Indian garb. Sometimes it can difficult to readily identify a person without first knowing something about them.

Meedish Sweetball wrote

Of course, people who acquire (or have since birth) dress, speech and other cultural aspects that seem to be American or European in style, even if they are Asian or African-looking, can be some sort of 'farang' too, if the Thais get to know this person, but they would not likely use it on first sight.
and that was exactly what i was saying on Narachon. I was saying that mostly it would be people who knows him that would call him farang whilst the ones who don't wouldn't because he's an African American but he said I was wrong. But now I get confused when he starts voting MS the smartest man.

If you eat farang food, dress like a farang, speak farang's language, then it is likely that your friends might call you a farang because you behave exactly like a farang instead of your own nationality even if you were actually a Chinese.

The term farang has got almost exactly the same meaning as the word "kwai lo" in cantonese but less derogatory depending how it's used.

ewww.  I don't wanna be the same term as white people!  One time in a massage place a lady was channel surfing and stopped at a French channel.  She stopped on it because it was a farang made jestures.  I said I don't speak French and that is not my kind.  A lady asked me if I was niggo?

Whenever I hear farang I stop and say in my now almost fluent Thai that it is a bad word.  Say "kon internacional"--international person.  I say in America the term foreigner means "outsider"

I also don't like the term black with a lower case b, therefore I am Africano and African American.  I have made at least three people now say "sii loo" instead of "si dum" for black.  That means "handsome color!"

I am changing the game in my little town when I am the only far... international person!

Sounds like you have a chip on dem shoulders mate.

Another bizarre post from the homeboy.

:o

So then you're talking about the context in which the term is used. Bring me up to date friend. Who's Jonas and what did he do that was bad to be called farang in a negative sense?

Strikes me, the Thais can't tell the difference between farangs and jerks. Sorry, jaeks. :o

I have a friend whose parents originate from Northern India, but her skin is really white and she does not look Indian, more Caucasian, if forced to pick a common description. However, she was born in Thailand, speaks completely accent-free Thai and has Thai friends. Still, whenever she meets a new Thai, she has to start afresh and is viewed like a farang, not a khairk or a Thai - which is her real nationality.

Excellent posts Meatish_Sweetball.

Of course farang == caucasian . It is well known Thai lore that the term "farang" is a Thai conditioned word based on their first encounters with the fine French people in Thailand, as "Faran - set" whereas "Faranset" (Thai for France) became "Farang" for theses strange white creatures with long noses from far away.

I do not consider the term in the least negative and am quite happy when I here "Farang Ma" (a farang has come) etc. and am surprised any farang is not pleased to be called a farang, is an apple is pleased to be called an apple. Nothing wrong with being who we are, what ever that is. ( I quit trying to be "Thai" many years ago, and have been much happier being who I am - a Farang in Thailand who speaks Thai and spends little, almost no time with other Farangs in Thailand.)

In reply to the poster who said that this is not only a term for caucasians because he or she knows of Thais that are called "Farang" because they have picked up much western culture or education, this is incorrect. I often say to Thai people, "Poot Passa Angrit Muan Farang" (or "Bin Farang") and they always smile big to the expected Thai style compliments and return the pleasant sweet conversational banter. And when Thai people same the same to me, "Poot Passa Thai Muan Khon Thai".... or "Bin Khon Thai" or more funny "Bin Khon Lao" I enjoy the compliments as well.

In closing, the term "Farang" is not negative at all (to me) , as some have suggested. On the other hand, I often see Farangs whose behavior in Thailand ranks pretty low and language skills are also low to zero (and true cultural understand is about nill) - and sometimes I feel sad for Farangs in Thailand, not for the word "Farang" but for their low behavior.

A Farang is a Farang as a Thai is a Thai or an Apple is a Apple, it simply Is. There are good and bad "Apples" in every bunch, as Bambina pointed out earlier (very nice post, BTW.) The same is true everywhere....

Edited by Mr. Farang

Excellent posts Meatish_Sweetball.

Of course farang == caucasian . It is well known Thai lore that the term "farang" is a Thai conditioned word based on their first encounters with the fine French people in Thailand, as "Faran - set" whereas "Faranset" (Thai for France) became "Farang" for theses strange white creatures with long noses from far away.

I do not consider the term in the least negative and am quite happy when I here "Farang Ma" (a farang has come) etc. and am surprised any farang is not pleased to be called a farang, is an apple is pleased to be called an apple. Nothing wrong with being who we are, what ever that is. ( I quit trying to be "Thai" many years ago, and have been much happier being who I am - a Farang in Thailand who speaks Thai and spends little, almost no time with other Farangs in Thailand.)

In reply to the poster who said that this is not only a term for caucasians because he or she knows of Thais that are called "Farang" because they have picked up much western culture or education, this is incorrect. I often say to Thai people, "Poot Passa Angrit Muan Farang" (or "Bin Farang") and they always smile big to the expected Thai style compliments and return the pleasant sweet conversational banter. And when Thai people same the same to me, "Poot Passa Thai Muan Khon Thai".... or "Bin Khon Thai" or more funny "Bin Khon Lao" I enjoy the compliments as well.

In closing, the term "Farang" is not negative at all (to me) , as some have suggested. On the other hand, I often see Farangs whose behavior in Thailand ranks pretty low and language skills are also low to zero (and true cultural understand is about nill) - and sometimes I feel sad for Farangs in Thailand, not for the word "Farang" but for their low behavior.

A Farang is a Farang as a Thai is a Thai or an Apple is a Apple, it simply Is. There are good and bad "Apples" in every bunch, as Bambina pointed out earlier (very nice post, BTW.) The same is true everywhere....

Well said. The orgin of the term "farang" is the same as I've understood it to be. Today, the term is generally applied to all caucasians. Since it isn't exactly accurate, I suppose it could be considered as slang, but one that has stuck for quite a long time. It doesn't strike me as offensive.

I'm still not clear on which caucasians arrived first in Thailand though. So it was the French? When did the British show up?

I'm still not clear on which caucasians arrived first in Thailand though. So it was the French? When did the British show up?

According to Thai lore, it was the French who were the Thai's influencial introduction to "westerners".... hence, "Faranset" ---> "Farang"

I guess if our British friends had been the more influencial westerners (sorry, not realy sure who was first, second, most influencial, etc.... as the Portugese and others were having fun exploring the world too!) ... we would be called something else.....

So, as it happens, maybe it all worked out... as I'm personally glad we are not called "Angrits"...... laughing out loud.

"Angrit Ma"..... Ha Ha Hah (no thanks!)

:o:D

Technically you are a Farang....as farang means foreigner.

WRONG

Thai is much more specific.

All the asian nationals are refered to by their nationality, khon Singapore, etc.

Farang is for caucasians only, not asians!!

I hearby vote for Meedish Sweetball as the smartest man on Thaivisa!

:D:D

What did I say that was different? :D

Because you were saying that the term farang is used (at least initially) on the basis of perception. Sometimes that perception isn't always correct. If your friend had been dressed in traditional Indian clothing, she might have been considered "khak". But even then, she still might have been considered a farang tourist dressed in Indian garb. Sometimes it can difficult to readily identify a person without first knowing something about them.

Meedish Sweetball wrote

and that was exactly what i was saying on Narachon. I was saying that mostly it would be people who knows him that would call him farang whilst the ones who don't wouldn't because he's an African American but he said I was wrong.

I did not say you were wrong, meemiathai.

You said that you would bet that Thais who did not know me would not call me Farang, for which I replied to you that you would lose that bet, because there have been several occasions where Thais who I never met before would call me that.

And they were not joking when they did. :D

If you eat farang food, dress like a farang, speak farang's language, then it is likely that your friends might call you a farang because you behave exactly like a farang instead of your own nationality even if you were actually a Chinese.

The term farang has got almost exactly the same meaning as the word "kwai lo" in cantonese but less derogatory depending how it's used.

Ok, to make meemiathai, the Thais, and all the other real Farangs happy, I guess I am not a farang.

Everyone happy now? :o

But now I get confused when he starts voting MS the smartest man.

What's to be confused about?

Should I take a poll? That's an idea!

:D

Edited by Narachon

ewww.  I don't wanna be the same term as white people!  One time in a massage place a lady was channel surfing and stopped at a French channel.  She stopped on it because it was a farang made jestures.  I said I don't speak French and that is not my kind.  A lady asked me if I was niggo?

Whenever I hear farang I stop and say in my now almost fluent Thai that it is a bad word.  Say "kon internacional"--international person.  I say in America the term foreigner means "outsider"

I also don't like the term black with a lower case b, therefore I am Africano and African American.  I have made at least three people now say "sii loo" instead of "si dum" for black.  That means "handsome color!"

Huh? :D

"Niggo" Please! :D

I do like the term "Si Loo" though, but If I ever tried to pull that "kon internacional" nonsense, I'd be laughed out of the Massage Parlor ( Not that I ever been to any of those places, mind you... :o )

I do like the term "Si Loo" though, but If I ever tried to pull that "kon internacional" nonsense, I'd be laughed out of the Massage Parlor ( Not that I ever been to any of those places, mind you... :D  )

I have aways thought it sweet when I hear Thai women say 'Khon Chocolate" or "Sii Chocolate".... and I have only heard this used in a kind, respectful context. Some ladies have actually smiled in a way that says "I like Chocolate!"...

Of course, I tell them, with a big smile, that Vanilla is more delicious!

:D:D

I am so not Caucasian!

I do believe farang will soon become an outdated term. Thais used to call Chinese "giks(?)" and Akhas also used to be called "niggo" and they are all now looked at as old deragatory terms. I have successfully gotten a few people to use my new terms. Now watch it spread like a disease.

I am so not Caucasian!

I do believe farang will soon become an outdated term.  Thais used to call Chinese "giks(?)" and Akhas also used to be called "niggo" and they are all now looked at as old deragatory terms.  I have successfully gotten a few people to use my new terms.   Now watch it spread like a disease.

So do I think the word "women" will soon become an outdated term due to its derogatoryness. I am trying hard now to convince people to use my terms that is men with dicks and men with ######.

Different people different beliefs! :o

Edited by meemiathai

I am so not Caucasian!

I do believe farang will soon become an outdated term.  Thais used to call Chinese "giks(?)" and Akhas also used to be called "niggo" and they are all now looked at as old deragatory terms.  I have successfully gotten a few people to use my new terms.  Now watch it spread like a disease.

Another winner , keep these posts comin Ty.

Huh? :D

"Niggo" Please! :D

I do like the term "Si Loo" though, but If I ever tried to pull that "kon internacional" nonsense, I'd be laughed out of the Massage Parlor ( Not that I ever been to any of those places, mind you... :o )

I think I may be the only other poster who can fully enjoy that comment :D:D:D

:D

When i was playing soccer for Bangkok Bank football Club everyone in my team called me Farang...And they even give me a nick name Mr Farang and i am also an asian not caucasian ...and the only foreighner playing for a thai club team :o

I kept on telling my thai teamates i am not farang many times but they keep on saying i am farang because i am a foreighner... If i am a chinese they will call me Chin...And thats why imnot chinese they call me Farang :D:D

But there are different kind of views among Thais to call a foreighner Farangs.... :D

Edited by tytus

kon internacional
:o:D:D

Tyree d , yo bro you are one serious american....

As i said in an earlier post. Americans hate being called farangs (the Americans I knew). Why ?????

Mr.International :D

until this thread said farang means Caucasian, I thought it meant foreigner and like I said in America that is an outdated deragatory term. And as for me, I don't wanna be called the same thing as a white person from Europe.