Am I A Farang?

LadyinRed

If you are Asian and not Thai we call you by your nationality.

Just looking at someone, without knowing anything about them, how would you know what nationality they are?

If you have a bad accent, we would know right away you are not Thai.

Yepoon usually has a lighter skins than any other Asian. They also tend to be fat or bigger than us Thai. However not all Yeepoon look like what I just had described.

Thai people like to guess, I my self has been mistaking for Kao lee (Korean).

Some people would tell you look like khon Kao lee or Yeepon only to make you feel good about your self.

Utimately it's all guessing unless you are a farang! :o

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are Asian and not Thai we call you by your nationality.

Just looking at someone, without knowing anything about them, how would you know what nationality they are?

If you have a bad accent, we would know right away you are not Thai.

Yepoon usually has a lighter skins than any other Asian. They also tend to be fat or bigger than us Thai. However not all Yeepoon look like what I just had described.

Thai people like to guess, I my self has been mistaking for Kao lee (Korean).

Some people would tell you look like khon Kao lee or Yeepon only to make you feel good about your self.

Utimately it's all guessing unless you are a farang! :D

Most people, no matter where they come from, are likely to have an accent if they aren't Thai. I know a few Thai who might also have an accent because they weren't raised in Thailand. It would be easy enough to guess they aren't Thai, but maybe not so easy to guess what Asian country they are from. Even then, it might still not be so easy because there are also ethnic Asians who were born and raised in other countries. They'd also have an accent, but maybe that of the country they were raised in.

I agree that a lot of it would be the fun of guessing because not all Japanese or other Asians look like your description. The only way anyone would know for sure is if the Asian person say where they are from or what their ethnic heritage is.

:o

My nationality is British but my ethnic origin is Taiwanese. Working and living in Thailand i have been mistaken for Thai (until i speak) and mostly Japanese too.

The first company i worked at was Japanese owned (although i worked on the English language puiblications)...the Thai staff thought i was Japanese, the Japanese staff thought i was Thai and when i told them i was English no one believed me as i look 100% Asian. It was just easier to say i was from Taiwan...

I have rarely been called a farang...

my impression has been that farang means foreigner in a "general" sense, but it definitely applies to all white people. being asian, i am occassionally called farang although not as often as any white person would, but i put this down to the fact that i look like a thai person, so i am "discovered" less frequently than a person who is obviously foreign. the main reason why a white person is always called farang is because he/she is obviously foreign.

when confronted with a non-white foreigner, a thai person would either lazily refer to him/her as a farang (as i have experienced sometimes), or, they may take the trouble to ascertain the country of origin. i think this applies to white people in the same way, i have seen many white foreigners being called farang at first, but if the thai person really bothers to find out, the white person would eventually be referred to as khon america, or khon geruman, or khon australia etc...

people like Sarpedon and myself are also known as "invisible expats". there are pros and cons, the biggest pro is that thai people tend to treat fellow asians a little bit better than white farangs, and invisible expats are often exempt from "double pricing" policies that so anger our caucasian friends. the biggest con is that i am confronted everyday by people who speak to me in thai, assuming that i am thai, and it gets very tiring explaining to strangers all the time that i am not thai, and then other people within ear-shot always turn around to check me out. i frankly don't like the attention. sometimes, when i speak english to a thai person, other thais look at me funny like i'm a show-off who refuses to act thai. its quite upsetting to be mysteriously scorned upon by some nationalistic thais. i wonder if other invisible expats have the same experience.

My nationality is British but my ethnic origin is Taiwanese. Working and living in Thailand i have been mistaken  for Thai (until i speak) and mostly Japanese too.

The first company i worked at was Japanese owned (although i worked on the English language puiblications)...the Thai staff thought i was Japanese, the Japanese staff thought i was Thai and when i told them i was English no one believed me as i look 100% Asian. It was just easier to say i was from Taiwan...

I have rarely been called a farang...

It's the truth. If you are Asian, people will not view you as Farang.

If you are an Asian American, the American will automatically look you as a foreingner.

I really really can't understand why there is all the fuzz about the word farang.

How can anyone who has lived in Thailand for a period of time not understand the meaning of the word farang?

It is as simple as that: farang=caucasian! :D

Thats all well and good, except for the simple fact that often many of us who are not white are often refered to as Farangs by Thais...Especially if you are African American....

( Well, loosely considered Farang, according to Boon Mee's Thai wife. And Richard W says people like me are Borderline Farang, whatever that is ... And Koon Anek18 says I am a "Farang Dam" (Or Negro.. :D ))

Oh Well..... :o

often many of us who are not white are often refered to as Farangs by Thais...Especially if you are African American....
I would guess that the ones who would call you farang are only the ones who know you. Coz you speak a farang's language and behave like a farang. So spiritually you are a farang.

I would bet that thais who don't know you wouldn't.

often many of us who are not white are often refered to as Farangs by Thais...Especially if you are African American....
I would guess that the ones who would call you farang are only the ones who know you. Coz you speak a farang's language and behave like a farang. So spiritually you are a farang.

I'm sorry, but You would lose that bet, my friend... :o

I'm sorry, but You would lose that bet, my friend... :D

:o

If you are an Asian American, the American will automatically look you as a foreingner.

Do you mean American people think people who are Asian-American are foreigners?

I grew up in the "South", played High School Football, Did everythings else a normal ALL-AMERICAN Teenager boy would do. But, I was always considered a "foreigner"! :D "Where u from Boy?" :D

Here in Thailand, Thais would ask me the same question. :D Thinking I am Chinese, Korean, or Japanese. I would always tell them I am a LAO! :o

And Richard W says people like me are Borderline Farang, whatever that is ... And Koon Anek18 says I am a "Farang Dam"

I simply meant that Thais were unsure whether you are a farang or not. It's a simple matter of classification by appearance not agreeing with classification by culture.

Ok, Ok, when you put it that way.....Point taken..... :o

off topic slightly !!

I found British people had no problem myself included in being called a farang but our American cousins had a problem being called a farang....

i think they found it derogatory..to be a caucasian in a language they don't understand???

Do Brits adapt with different cultures easier than Americans because of our great history in travelling and discovering things outside of our little island???

--------------------

i concur, farang = caucasian. fullstop. period. end of. errh maybe. sort of.

same same but different :D

######, I never notice the mistake before i post :D:o

Edited by sanook2me

D'you know I think you've got a good point there. I think it's quite logical due to the Brits' history of venturing to varied places near and far they would adapt better. The Americans seem more intrinsic people and don't really look beyond their own 4 walls - I must say I'm not attacking the yanks here, my justification is simply from the way a lot of Americans simply don't know what's outside of there own land...? Where have American's ventured/colonised in their history compared to the Brits?

D'you know I think you've got a good point there.  I think it's quite logical due to the Brits' history of venturing to varied places near and far they would adapt better.  The Americans seem more intrinsic people and don't really look beyond their own 4 walls - I must say I'm not attacking the yanks here, my justification is simply from the way a lot of Americans simply don't know what's outside of there own land...?  Where have American's ventured/colonised in their history compared to the Brits?

I'm not sure how colonization fits into it. You're logic sounds like a bit of generalization. I'm not going to speak for all Americans, but I have no problem looking beyond the walls, nor do I consider being regarded as a farang as anything offensive. There might be times when it is offensive, but I suppose it would depend on the context on how it's used. However, I don't find it the least bit offensive.

D'you know I think you've got a good point there.  I think it's quite logical due to the Brits' history of venturing to varied places near and far they would adapt better.  The Americans seem more intrinsic people and don't really look beyond their own 4 walls - I must say I'm not attacking the yanks here, my justification is simply from the way a lot of Americans simply don't know what's outside of there own land...? 

I feel a Pseudo Yankee Bashing coming on..... :o

Where have American's ventured/colonised in their history compared to the Brits?

Uhh...........Texas.....Hawaii.....Alaska.....The Phillipines.... :D :D

I'm not sure how colonization fits into it. You're logic sounds like a bit of generalization. I'm not going to speak for all Americans, but I have no problem looking beyond the walls, nor do I consider being regarded as a farang as anything offensive. There might be times when it is offensive, but I suppose it would depend on the context on how it's used. However, I don't find it the least bit offensive.

My feelings exactly!

I couldn't say it better myself, AmeriThai.... :D

Technically you are a Farang....as farang means foreigner.

WRONG

Thai is much more specific.

All the asian nationals are refered to by their nationality, khon Singapore, etc.

Farang is for caucasians only, not asians!!

Edited by astral

WRONG

All the asian nationals are refered to by their nationality, khon Singapore, etc.

It is for anyone that is perceived to be caucasian, yes.

I have a friend whose parents originate from Northern India, but her skin is really white and she does not look Indian, more Caucasian, if forced to pick a common description. However, she was born in Thailand, speaks completely accent-free Thai and has Thai friends. Still, whenever she meets a new Thai, she has to start afresh and is viewed like a farang, not a khairk or a Thai - which is her real nationality.

Of course, people who acquire (or have since birth) dress, speech and other cultural aspects that seem to be American or European in style, even if they are Asian or African-looking, can be some sort of 'farang' too, if the Thais get to know this person, but they would not likely use it on first sight.

Farang = any foreigner is definitely incorrect, by any account.

WRONG

I have a friend whose parents originate from Northern India, but her skin is really white and she does not look Indian, more Caucasian, if forced to pick a common description. However, she was born in Thailand, speaks completely accent-free Thai and has Thai friends. Still, whenever she meets a new Thai, she has to start afresh and is viewed like a farang, not a khairk or a Thai - which is her real nationality.

Of course, people who acquire (or have since birth) dress, speech and other cultural aspects that seem to be American or European in style, even if they are Asian or African-looking, can be some sort of 'farang' too, if the Thais get to know this person, but they would not likely use it on first sight.

I hearby vote for Meedish Sweetball as the smartest man on Thaivisa!

:o:D

Edited by Narachon

WRONG

What did I say that was different? :D

WRONG

What did I say that was different? :D

Because you were saying that the term farang is used (at least initially) on the basis of perception. Sometimes that perception isn't always correct. If your friend had been dressed in traditional Indian clothing, she might have been considered "khak". But even then, she still might have been considered a farang tourist dressed in Indian garb. Sometimes it can difficult to readily identify a person without first knowing something about them.

Ok I guess colonisation wasn't quite the correct term to use - I guess the Brits weren't exactly colonising in the past either.  And no Yankee-Bashing intended..! :o

Not a problem mate. We all get caught up in the moment at times. As an added thought, Americans have also ventured out 'beyond the walls' in many other ways including:

- Sending people to the moon

- Getting remarkable photos direct from the surface of Mars

- Voyager 1 & 2 are the most distant objects ever launched from the Earth

Other colonies or territories (not mentioned) also include:

- Puerto Rico

- Guam

- and a good number of others

Most Americans that I know are very adventurous. A few might be pretty thick-headed, but for the most, same as anywhere else in the world, just regular, good-hearted people. The USA is built on immigrants of all races and cultures from all over the planet and is often considered the "melting pot of the world".

BTW, some of my ancestors were Brits.

Cheers! :D

Edited by AmeriThai