Am I A Farang?

LadyinRed

A trivial question no doubt. Bambina's thread on Farang men compels me to ask this.

I'm Asian, and have been an expat in Phuket for nearly 5 years.

So if I am not Thai, then I am a Farang (am I right?).

My Farang friends say I am not a Farang - I am Asian - Period.

Thai friends say that since I speak good English and I am not Thai, then I am, technically speaking, a Farang.

So what am I? :o

P/S: If I am not white, then I am not a Farang? :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically you are a Farang....as farang means foreigner.

That said though, you will never be regarded as a farang by Thai people or westerners. Farangs are caucasions not asians.

I think, i may be wrong. but the word farang comes from when the first europeans arrived in thailand, bringing a type of fruit also called a farang.

but to answer your question NO YOUR NOT A FARANG

According to my husband, sitting right here beside me, you would not be a farang, you would be your ethnicity. ie jeen, yipoon, khun indonesia, khun phillipine etc etc.

If they are unsure they would probably just call you what you look like, either a jeen or a yipoon.

A trivial question no doubt. Bambina's thread on Farang men compels me to ask this.

Thai friends say that since I speak good English and I am not Thai, then I am,  technically speaking, a Farang.

So what am I?  :o

P/S: If I am not white, then I am not a Farang?  :D

well...basically "Farang" in TH , we imply only "caucasian"

so if you are asian , we will call you

- Khon Singapore

- Khon Malay /Mapaysia

- Khon Jean (Chineses)

-Khon Yee Poon (Japanese)

-Khon Taiwan

-Khon Kao Ree (korean)

etc

so ..for the TH definition you are not farang

Bambi

Thai friends say that since I speak good English and I am not Thai, then I am,  technically speaking, a Farang.

So what am I?  :o

P/S: If I am not white, then I am not a Farang?  :D

If you don't mind me asking, of what ethnic origin are you?

I think, i may be wrong. but the word farang comes from when the first europeans arrived in thailand, bringing a type of fruit also called a farang.

I thought the fruit got its name because it was brought to Thailand by feringhis. The final consonant is hard in Persian, which is why the form isn't based on ferenji. Apparently ultimately derived from Germanic *frankon 'lance', just as Sassenach comes from a word for dagger. It must gall Greeks to be called farangs. Those interested in details can look them up via The Thai word "Farang", its variations in other languages, and its Arabic origin

Getting under the skin, aren't American blacks border-line farang? And I don't just mean those that are more than half-European.

Richard.

The name Farang Or Fa-lung ( franks) Was derived by the chinese under the mongols in the 13th century. They used it to describe the Franciscan missionary's, who were there to promote christianity. Since then, the name has been used to decribe westerners.

Encyclopaedia Brittanica, not me. :o

Ah, the old "where does the Farang word come from" debate.

Was it from the Arabic, or from a similar sounding Sanscrit word, or from the French visitors called Faranset because the Thai tongue could not manage it, did it come from the guava (or the other way around), etc, etc.

In short yes, er and no. erm, well actually noone knows, but everyone has there own pet theory. A quick search here will proabably return umpteen such debates.

I don't think it matter to be truthful. Nasty words like '<deleted>' comes from 'Western Oriental Gentlemen' (or so the theory goes - another theory) in which it was a term of respect for educated Indians from higher society in old collonial days. Words like 'Gay' was initially an insult at British gay men based on the early commedies in which camp men were portrayed with a limp wrist and spouting "What a gay day" - now it has been adopted by the very section of society it was meant to offend.

Yep, origins means diddly. I am much more interested in how it is used.

PS: I agree with the girls above - Thai's would probably assume you are Thai if you look Thai/Oriental and dress that way (and haven't shown you Thai speaking abilities). If they can tell your not Thai, but you look Oriental, you'd most likely be labelled Chinese (Jeen) or Yeepon (Japanese) if you are light skinned, or some other oriental; country if not. You may get labelled as Farang Noi if they thing you are Half Thai half white etc.

I thought the fruit got its name because it was brought to Thailand by feringhis.

Whenever I hear "ferenghis", I always think of those Aliens on "Star Trek, the Next Generation..." :D

Getting under the skin, aren't American blacks border-line farang?  And I don't just mean those that are more than half-European.

Richard.

"....Getting under the skin", like a Tick? :D

By "Half European", you mean "half Caucasion"?

If they are American Blacks they would be American, wouldn't they? Sorry to "Nit-Pick".... :D

Here is what another Poster said on the subject in that other thread.....

Hi Narachon,

Just been chatting to my wife about this and yes she said Thai's would speak "farang" to an African-American but in conversation between Thai's may refer as negro as Thai's use the word "negro". Same as Japanese are called "nippoon".

I have been called "Farang" when Thais speak to me, but like in the post above, sometimes, I hear "Nego" when they talk to each other in Thai ( when they think I can't understand what they are saying, which is usually the case :D )

I guess "Negro" is easier for the Thais to say than "Black"... :D

But I guess it all depends on what you look like, appreances. I guess if you "look" white, then you "are" Farang in the popular definition of the word... So Vin Diesel , Mariah Carey, Jessica Alba, etc in Thailand whould be considered "Farang".... :o:D

For Example, in America, I am considered " Black", but when I am in Brazil, I am not, since I do not look African. All depends of the local culture of the country, I guess.

European once meant "White", but now there are European who do not fit the standard model of White skin and round eyes, and straight hair. And If one asked what an American looks like, they would probably think of a white man, since the majority population until recently, has been caucasion / European origin. In the future, I am not sure about Thailand, but in America, the racial demographics will be much different..

Would the term "Farang" eventualy become THE catch - all word for "Western Foreigners", Or will it always retain a niche description of "White-European looking person".

Like I said in a previous post, until there is a large influx of Non-white Westerners ( i.e. Hispanics ), the term " Farang " will for the time being usually mean "White / European Person", even though that is not what the name means origninally.

Besides, I have the distinct feeling that White people would rather have the term all to themselves", to keep things simple..... :D :D

With that being said, don't worry, Lady in Red, I would consider you a "Farang".... :D

I am Yeepoon. But Thai people used to call me "Ajinomoto!" when walking down the Bangkok streets as a kid. :o Oh yes, I think I was once called "ai yun" too, a derogatory term for Japanese?

I live and work in Japan. I am called a "gaijin", in the company too. Similar to being labelled as a "farang" in Thai. No drama, I know I look different.

At no moment I have ever experienced any racism. Whatsoever.

Even contemplating staying here for many years.

The post I am repllying to has hurted me. I could not believe Thais can do that kind of harm to their fellow Asians. What's left for the others?

@ Narachon : I don't know if you heard of it but when I talk with Thais about american stereotypes or what a typical american man looks like a lot of them answer me, rich, black and speaks very loudly. And half of the people say fat, the other half sais big and muscular. :o

@ Narachon : I don't know if you heard of it but when I talk with Thais about american stereotypes or what a typical american man looks like a lot of them answer me, rich, black and speaks very loudly. And half of the people say fat, the other half sais big and muscular.  :o

The way Americans and their products are perceived in Japan is - rubbish. Like Chinese selling their textile in the streets of Mannhattan.

I am having big troubles fighting Japanese vendors of the same gear (big computer systems).

Hard to admit but our inferiority is growing. Asians will recognize the opportunities. Already rammed into our <deleted> - see what happened to GM and Ford, both wrecked by Asian car makers.

The way Americans and their products are perceived in Japan is - rubbish. Like Chinese selling their textile in the streets of Mannhattan.

I am having big troubles fighting Japanese vendors of the same gear (big computer systems). 

Hard to admit but our inferiority is growing. Asians will recognize the opportunities. Already rammed into our <deleted> - see what happened to GM and Ford, both wrecked by Asian car makers.

But I was in Tokyo last week and walked into GAP clothing store in Shinjuku and bought some shirts. The place was packed with people and looked to me like a big success. Apple computer has been a big success in Japan, so is amazon Japan, McDonald's and many others. I noticed the Eddie Bauer store near Starbucks in south Shinjuku replaced by another store though. What computer system is it that you have to fight to get in Japan?

I don't think it was inferiority that helped the Japanese kill off American car and TV companies. It was their illegal business practices.

In Japan big umbrella companies own other companies. These companies will sell to each other at, or below, cost price so they can under cut other builders. For example an umbrella company's tyre company sells its $300 tyres to its sister car manufacturer for $50 even though it costs them $100 to make it. This enables the umbrella company to make the sales on cars. The costs of the tyre company is covered by a tax-efficient loan or bail-out payment.

The Japanes TV companies dumped very high volumes of TVs in America for below cost prices. This was seen as an investment. The American TV companies can not compete and, having lost their major market, go broke or change tack. The TVs became more expensive (although the point above still keeps them lower - that and the fact that they are built in 3rd world countries for low cost - the West was slow to follow this model). This is called 'dumping' and is illegal by International Trading Agreements and rules. The big margins that could be made when a near monopoly is achieved allows for inavation (Japanese companies do not rest on their lorals) and TVs and cars get better.

Japan was given special, favourable, trading conditions after WW2 to help it get on its feet (the economy was built from scratch pretty much by the Americans post WW2). These 'conditions' are still in place as attempting to remove them immediately has the affect of 'Japan Bashing' accusations and embarrassed politicians running for cover.

I thought the fruit got its name because it was brought to Thailand by feringhis. The final consonant is hard in Persian, which is why the form isn't based on ferenji. Apparently ultimately derived from Germanic *frankon 'lance', just as Sassenach comes from a word for dagger. It must gall Greeks to be called farangs. Those interested in details can look them up via The Thai word "Farang", its variations in other languages, and its Arabic origin

Getting under the skin, aren't American blacks border-line farang? And I don't just mean those that are more than half-European.

Richard.

According to my wife, American Blacks are loosely considered Farang.

What computer system is it that you have to fight to get in Japan?

We have 4000 of them already. They are each 1 to 5 million US$ or more.

Until you come back again, let me bear the burden of lousy western products and try to keep my head afloat.

Did you know - one of my customers (who serves 60 thousands emails per second) has forced my company to relocate one of our manufacturing plants from US to Japan.

Cisco was also forced to open their R&D department in Japan too.

Japanese don't trust we can do any good work without their supervision.

Boeing Dreamliner jet will be mostly manufactured in Japan.

Glad that you enjoyed shopping at Shinjuku. I live right there, may have walked past you. Look good, that's important, don't get into business here. Then it comes to what we know and what we can and can not do.

I don't think it was inferiority that helped the Japanese kill off American car and TV companies. It was their illegal business practices.

Who is telling JP companies to rise JP car prices in US while Ford and GM are down at their knees?

Honestly, what are the worst vehicles the money can buy?

Jeep Cherokee and Chevy Blazer, let's stop there. If Toyota or Nissan were to release the utmost junk like that they would have been laughed at out of the town.

Any protection to the scale you posted about would have been punished by weak Yen.

Contrary, they had to escape their own strong currency and move production to Thailand, China, any butthole. In some cases to the US, just to get it cheaper.

Obviously I am talking history in my last post. Japanese technology is very good today. Once apon a time it was, as we think now, of 'made in China' or 'made in Hong Kong'. It was inferior, tacky and cheap.

The Japanese business practices during the 60's and 70's flooded the market with low price tat. American companies could not compete as the American work force were highly paid (in comparison) and the R&D costs were crippling (American companies were making money by not investing in R&D).

A patent in Japan is displayed for public viewing before being accepted. During the pending phase, anyone can copy the idea. This is not so in the rest of the world (1st world) as Pending Patents are somewhat of a protection on their own. Japan took apart American and European technology and made smaller, cheaper versions. This would have been illegal in the US and Europe. Japan reverse engineered which is cheap compared to R&D.

Today, Japanese companies already have market share where it counts. They own foreign businesses to ensure it.

Phillips invented the CD player - we all own Sony CD players (and the like). Phillips had a double sided video casette that took a direct video camera connection (allowed for looped recording and auto side switch), with better resolution than VHS, the player (V2000) had digital one-touch buttons (not ugly Feruson Videostar circa 1970 type buttons), a digital read out, remote control (by wire) a 1 year 7 event timer etc - VHS won. Why? Marketing partly, but mostly because the companies that owned VHS bought up all the movie rights and put other, better, methods out of business!

If you are white we call you "farang" and if you are Black American we call you " Farang dum" or "nego" is common because we don't know Black history. If you are Asian and not Thai we call you by your nationality. If you are an Indian, lwe call you "Kak", some arabs also falls into this category.

Edited by Anek18

I am Yeepoon. But Thai people used to call me "Ajinomoto!" when walking down the Bangkok streets as a kid. :o Oh yes, I think I was once called "ai yun" too, a derogatory term for Japanese?

We simply calls you Yeepoon..

Not all Yeepoon look like a Yeepoon.. if you don't tell we don't know

You're probably get treated good by Thai fellows due to your Nationality status.