Upgrading A Galaxy S To 2.2

PomPui

Right that's it I give up waiting for the official upgrade to 2.2 here in Thailand. :realangry:

I have used google to try and find some instructions to upgrade but the fact I have a Mac seems to to be an issue.

Has anyone using a mac successfully upgraded their phone?

If not does anyone know a shop that offers this service?

Cheers

PomPui

Most of the tools (ADB, ODIN, even Samsung KIES) and the Samsung USB drivers are Windows only, so I don't think you can do this. I'd just go walk around the nearest mobile phone market and speak with several shops about this upgrade. Remember to back-up your apps and data (Titanium Backup, in the Market requires the phone to be rooted), and then restore.

What 2.2 features do you need?

Did you check with an official Samsung shop here? The Samsung Thailand website does reference Froyo (2.2), with fairly recent files and a KIES version.

I have an AT&T Samsung Captivate, a Galaxy S variant, running 2.1 but unlocked, rooted, OCLF, GPS fix, tethering. I've been considering some custom ROMs (Cognition, Perception, etc.) based on 2.2 and 2.3. There is no official 2.2 from AT&T as there are some business issues to be resolved regarding the upgrade.

Do you think there is an business issue or this is just the normal slowness of the telephone companies? :whistling:

This is supposed to be the premium Samsung Android phone and to be honest Samsung have made a right mess of the 2.2 upgrade.

Cheers

PomPui

PS The reason I am so desperate for 2.2 is I need Skype but don't get me started on how poor a company Skype are.:rolleyes:

Do you think there is an business issue or this is just the normal slowness of the telephone companies? :whistling:

This is supposed to be the premium Samsung Android phone and to be honest Samsung have made a right mess of the 2.2 upgrade.

Cheers

PomPui

PS The reason I am so desperate for 2.2 is I need Skype but don't get me started on how poor a company Skype are.:rolleyes:

Where did you buy your Galaxy S? Here in Thailand? You'll only be able to use Skype on a WiFi network (unless you have TOT 3G), as I'm sure you are aware. You could try SIPDroid or CSIPSIMPLE (both in the market) with your Skype credentials (no idea if this will work?). I'd still check with an official Samsung shop, there is one in every mall and/or some mobile phone stands in any shopping mall, or find a friend with a PC.

p.s. I do get some hits when I Google Skype and Android 2.1. http://blogs.skype.com/en/2010/10/android.html

It seems like you only need 2.2 to install the app from a memory card?

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for all that info I will go and go to MBK tomorrow and get it sorted. I did have SIPdroid on there but when I uninstalled it, it broke google maps another reason to upgrade.

Thanks for your help

PomPui

Having someone do it is probably the best move if you don't have access to a pc. But if you're willing to take a chance, it might might be possible without needing a pc. I have a Captivate and I can unlock and install a new rom without needing to connect to a pc. It's just easier if I can.

If the Galaxy S is similar, which it should be since I usually rum I9000 based roms, the upgrading can likely be done without needing the PC. Even unlocking can be done without using the PC. However, it can cause some problems for the new rom if you don't do a master clear and/or can't get back to stock, which will require a pc. Also, if things mess up and the phone won't boot, saving the phone requires a pc with appropriate software.

On the captivate, unlocking can be done just by putting an appropriate file onto the onboard sd card and rebooting into recovery mode. See below for getting into recovery mode. It is slightly different for different models. Also, it might take several tries, and I can never remember exactly what point in the cycle to release the power button.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S_Series#Recovery_Mode

Once that's done, Rom Manager from the market will install Clockword Mod. Reboot into recovery from Rom Manager, and then you can install a rom from the sd card.

As long as you can get files onto the onboard sd card, this can all be done without a pc. However, if you then change the rom, it is recommended to go back to stock to clear things out, which does require a pc. Also, master clear which erases the onboard sd card and some other things also requires a pc program. However, I have installed new roms over old ones without going back to stock and master clearing before. Usually things work ok anyway.

Here's a link to xda developers for the I 9000, which should have resources that'll help you, even if you do get it done someplace.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656