There Goes The Neighborhood

canuckamuck

Thanks for the replies, I have been out most of the morning, but the tunes are pounding out pretty good now. It's karaoke right now, my personal favorite :whistling:

It is clearly a house warming and it is actually kind of comical with the host walking around looking so poo yai. There are lots of cars about, but nothing over a Camry in status, so it apparently isn't the Hi So occasion of the week.

My kids (toddlers) are getting into the music so they are having a good time.

Anyhow, I think i will survive the day.

My only question is when do these things normally wind down? midnight? later?

Ho Ho, I drive also a Camry :whistling: just because a Mercedes is to bloody expensive in Thailand. So does this mean I'm also not so Hi So ? :lol:

If the reason for not getting a Benz is that it's too expensive then yes, you may not be 'Hi So'. However truly Hi So people would not feel the need to get a new Benz just because it's expensive. There's more to being Hi So than money.

I live in a mooban and one of my Thai neighbors has his own Karaoke machines that he pulls out every time some on the block has a party. And my Thai neighbors seem to have a party for one thing or another almost every weekend or at least every other weekend due to a birthday, holiday, house warming or any other excuse they can come up with. I just attend all the parties and throw one myself every couple of months or so just to do my part. By doing this I am close to all the people on my street and we I have a feeling of really belonging here. The women are always coming over to share their food together for lunches on my front porch or my wife is going over to one of their places where they get together and have their lunch in the carports and porches. So what I am saying here is that it is much more fun to join them rather than worry about a little noise.

Exactly. Enjoy the Thai way or at least try it.

Maybe some expats can't make that transition; but there's no problem with that either. Each to his own

caf

There are nouveau riche and middle class thais who think they are hi-so, and show is important to many thais ( and not only thais of course).

but the real definition of hi-so is a family link to rama v; and that from a very highly educated thai who seems well versed in thai class structures

caf

I live in a mooban and one of my Thai neighbors has his own Karaoke machines that he pulls out every time some on the block has a party. And my Thai neighbors seem to have a party for one thing or another almost every weekend or at least every other weekend due to a birthday, holiday, house warming or any other excuse they can come up with. I just attend all the parties and throw one myself every couple of months or so just to do my part. By doing this I am close to all the people on my street and we I have a feeling of really belonging here. The women are always coming over to share their food together for lunches on my front porch or my wife is going over to one of their places where they get together and have their lunch in the carports and porches. So what I am saying here is that it is much more fun to join them rather than worry about a little noise.

+ Hell Yes.

Don't see this every day, a post by someone who actually seems to be in the right place. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, I have been out most of the morning, but the tunes are pounding out pretty good now. It's karaoke right now, my personal favorite :whistling:

It is clearly a house warming and it is actually kind of comical with the host walking around looking so poo yai. There are lots of cars about, but nothing over a Camry in status, so it apparently isn't the Hi So occasion of the week.

Ho Ho, I drive also a Camry :whistling: just because a Mercedes is to bloody expensive in Thailand. So does this mean I'm also not so Hi So ? :lol:

If the reason for not getting a Benz is that it's too expensive then yes, you may not be 'Hi So'. However truly Hi So people would not feel the need to get a new Benz just because it's expensive. There's more to being Hi So than money.

The money is not really to problem if I would I could buy a nice new S class tomorrow but the problem is that I know how much they cost in Holland. :realangry:

And I just don't like to pay that much money for car just to be able to say that I drive a MB. :crazy:

The Camry is one of the few normally priced cars witch offers a decent amount of space without breaking the bank.

So I prefer the buy a new normal priced car every two years and have enough money left to buy a extra house for the rent.

So the type of car doesn’t say much about the person driving it.

I have also a old pickup but that’s just for fun or when if I have to carry something big. ;)

The money is not really to problem if I would I could buy a nice new S class tomorrow but the problem is that I know how much they cost in Holland. :realangry:

And I just don't like to pay that much money for car just to be able to say that I drive a MB. :crazy:

The Camry is one of the few normally priced cars witch offers a decent amount of space without breaking the bank.

So I prefer the buy a new normal priced car every two years and have enough money left to buy a extra house for the rent.

So the type of car doesn’t say much about the person driving it.

I have also a old pickup but that’s just for fun or when if I have to carry something big. ;)

Camry plus pickup, and saying you could buy tomorrow !! Wouldn't pass the hi so test :rolleyes: :rolleyes: