I No Longer Have The Required 400K

Some Immigration departments, or should I say 'Officers', are willing to 'negotiate' terms, in order for you to get your visa. It would appear that you have not been offered such an arrangement.

I'm presuming that your Thai wife accompanied you to Immigration on your last visit, I'm surprised that they didn't suggest an alternative to her. Did you see a senior officer there, or someone of lower rank ?

I believe that there are solicitors who can also facilitate such arrangements, but then of course, it is more expensive as you are obliged to pay the solicitor as well as Immigration.

Of course all the above is merely 'hear say' . . . . . . . .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be illegal and in the case of an extension of stay based on marriage very, very difficult as they are approved by a committee in Bangkok.

That's interesting Mario, I wasn''t aware that kind of visa needs a Bangkok committee approval .

My 'fictitious' tale revolves around someone married to a Thai lady, and here for over 7 years. Every year withought fail 400 was deposited in the bank and visa was granted. One year however, bank had deducted a small sum so he had only 380 in his account. They told him and his wife, you have insufficient funds for extension of stay based on marriage . . . . . .however

They suggested he apply instead for 'Retirement' visa, and in order to help him they would supply both the bank account, and the 800 Baht . . . . .I believe the fee for this service was perhaps 10,000, certainly not more 20,000.

Perhaps I should write Thai soaps, as I have such a vivid imagination, how else could I deam up such fantasies ?

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice.

I'm not interested in borrowing the money or attempting to bribe the immigration officers. I think I'll try and sort out a short term soloution (maybe a tourist visa) and see where I am a couple of months later. Otherwise it might just be time to pack up and take my family home!

The correct way in that case would be to get a 60 day extension based on visiting a Thai family member. That would give one enough time to top up the bank account and season the money.

Yes, I have heard about this retirement extension. But if ever found out, now or in 10 years time, one would be in real serious problem and would jeopardize ones stay in Thailand.

THX for the reply, but that i know , i whas WONDERING HOW they calculate that rule , as i gave the Question here under ...??? Because the calcukation does not match my logic in calculating....:D !!!

QUESTION = how they manage those amounts as my calculation gives this :blink:

something gives me haedache

in case retirement ;

65000 a month or 800000 in bank / 65000 x 12 = 780000 ??:blink: not 800000

in case married to THAI

40000 a month or 400000 in bank / 40000 x12 = 480000 ?? :blink: = more then 400000

Or am i missing something :(

Just curious to know how Thai is counting or why so .....and how they should calculate a combination to show as income

THX

i just shall RELY MYSELF by thinking NOBODY knows why it is so....... :)

65000 by month x12 (year) =780000 and NOT 800000

same for in case Married and supporting a thai DOES NOT change ARITHMETICS :D So 40000 (a month) x12 =480000 and not gives result 400000

I am not disturbed by the rules , only the way THEY calculate .....

I recently had a similar problem. Mine was that due to the exchange rate I no longer had the monthly 40k income.

Immigration worked out my yearly income and found it was short of the 400k that is required in the bank. So all I had to do show was the difference between my monthly income short fall and the required 400k in the bank.

Example, if you can show a monthly income of say 30k per month x 12 that equals 360k so if you have 40k in the bank that gives you the required 400k for the year.

Worked for me :)

(Not sure the matamatics is correct but you get the idea)

Only persons on an extension of stay based on retirement can use the combination of income and money in the bank. People on an extension of stay based on marriage cannot use a combination of the two.

From gerard from the Netherlands, Sunbelt lawyers say that a combination for man and woman to have the 400K is correct.

Ask Sunbelt lawyers.com

My original marriage visa that was obtained from the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK, 7 years ago was a Multi-Entry Category 'O' which I believe was good for 12 months. Does anyone know if this type of visa is still available and if so, would I have to go back to the UK to apply for it and which documents would be required?

My original marriage visa that was obtained from the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK, 7 years ago was a Multi-Entry Category 'O' which I believe was good for 12 months. Does anyone know if this type of visa is still available and if so, would I have to go back to the UK to apply for it and which documents would be required?

You can get a multiple non-O in Kuala Lumpur if you can show 100,000 in a bank account, if not It would be Australia or Europe for a multiple with simply a copy of the marriage cerificate and maybe a copy of wife's ID and nice note from her asking for a visa for you. A single can be obtained from any neighbouring country.

In KL:

- proof of 100,000 in the bank

- copy of marriage certificate

- copy of wife's ID card

- copy household registration

- note from wife asking for a visa for you

I guess you know the rules for an extension of stay.

in case retirement ;

in case married to THAI

40000 a month or 400000 in bank / 40000 x12 = 480000 ?? :blink: = more then 400000

Just curious to know how Thai is counting or why so .....and how they should calculate a combination to show as income

THX

David,i think you will find that you multiply these amounts by 13 as your pension is paid every 4 weeks and not every calender month.

in case retirement ;

in case married to THAI

THX

David,i think you will find that you multiply these amounts by 13 as your pension is paid every 4 weeks and not every calender month.

65000 x 13 ........= 845000........

40000 x13........= 520000.......There goes your story......:whistling:

And my country pays pensions all by calender month :ermm: , my real prblem is ,how to calculate a retirement combination for money on banlk AN income monthly

Whatever i calculate this rule is there but how they makled it up is for me a mystery , and i think for others too ,

take your calculater and you can try yourself but there is noway beside it on ahritmics

Anyway thanks to try to find an solution , i think need an "enigma machine" :D

Whatever i calculate this rule is there but how they makled it up is for me a mystery , and i think for others too ,

take your calculater and you can try yourself but there is noway beside it on ahritmics

Okay, I'll bite and try to explain to you why it makes sense. They most likely actually did use a calculator an most likely also know how to perform such calculations properly. The rules regarding amounts were made at different times - different years and perhaps even under different bosses. Although it apparently conflicts with your sense of order and tidiness - there aren't really any reasons to coordinate amounts associated with different things, except for that same sense of streamlined tidiness, which the rule makers in question evidently didn't find necessary to apply. Neither do I, so perhaps I've been living here too long, but I don't care about that neither.

They picked easy figures for totals and made that the law. For retirement using combo thay make it clear the total must be 800k or more per year. So if monthly pension is 63k (12 x 63k = 756k) the bank account would have to contain 44k (756k + 44k = 800k).

take your calculate and you can try yourself but there is noway beside it on arithmetics

Okay, I'll bite and try to explain to you why it makes sense. They most likely actually did use a calculator an most likely also know how to perform such calculations properly. The rules regarding amounts were made at different times - different years and perhaps even under different bosses. Although it apparently conflicts with your sense of order and tidiness - there aren't really any reasons to coordinate amounts associated with different things, except for that same sense of streamlined tidiness, which the rule makers in question evidently didn't find necessary to apply. Neither do I, so perhaps I've been living here too long, but I don't care about that neither.

Thank you for doing the effort to help me out ..., this makes completely sense ... because it ignore all rules of arrhythmic and it ease the mind just by accepting the "unexplainble"...., it is surly the easy way and i think this another "exception as there are so many by learning Thai there are( questioning teachers are simply answered by ...". just must ignore it.."

;)

And probably you are right by saying "living here too long" that should also being the reason why some of us by return Western world for home visit , sitting on the smallest room, are looking for the" water hose" :D

BUT HOW YOU SHOULD CALCULATE THE MISSING PART MONEY by a combination system for the retirement option ......:( surely as accept thinking as THAI and living here too long , you can help me out .....?;) :jap:

Regards and have a nice day

My application was based on marriage as it has been for a number of years. We supplied all the marriage documents kids birth certificates, map of house happy family photos an all the other stuff required for marriage extension.

My proof of income is from the UK Government Pension so could they have given me a retirement visa instead?

How would I know and would it make any difference?

Curious :unsure:

My 1 year visa was granted in the same way,the only difference being my retirement pension did cover the required 40,000bht so did not need any money in the Thai bank.

Hi again David555, I have lived hear 10 years.This is how i renewed my retirement visa. First i calculated my shortfall of 800,000 from my income of pension. I deposited that sum into my Thai bank. Myself being a U.K. citizen,then had to go to the British Consulate which is at Jomtien and produce my retirement pension papers and passport in order to get an official letter from them so as to prove my income to Thai Immigration.(i did this 2 weeks prior to applying for the visa cost just over 2000bht) Checked the letter to satisfy myself i had enough in the bank to cover any shortfall from my income to make the 800,000. Then took my passport and bank book to the bank in order to get a letter from them, stating the amount of my savings. (cost 100bht) Satisfied that i had a combo of both that came to the 800,000 i then applied for my visa which has always been granted. Good luck David and i hope my post makes sense.

Because you can apply for a visa one month in advance you might try presenting your story to immigration. They may issue you an exception since you have both a wife and child.

If they can give you an exception great, if not, try the other methods with the time you have left. I base this suggestion on the following:

Notice: This is a translation of the Police order 777/2551 done by Isaan Lawyers (www.isaanlawyers.com). This is not an official translation and it should be used only for information purposes. In case of discrepancy with the Thai version, you should know that the Thai document is the only official one. Red sections are new modifications.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year."

The comment in the center may provide you with some leeway such as combining savings and income.

Best of luck - the exchange rate is tough on us all so I am sure most sympathize with your situation.

Can we have another gentle reminder about the differences between Visa's and temporary extensions of stay (TM7).

All this talk of applying for my visa etc etc is just plain wrong.

A good place to start is to actually read a TM7 and have a look at the stamp in your passport every year!:ph34r:.

I am so glad I dont live down in the ex pat townships and have to listen to this drivel, and it always comes from folk who start posts with I have lived here xxx years.

Phutoie2, if it was I who motivated your words of wisdom please forgive me. I should have said "Because you can apply for a visa extension one month in advance" but I thought it was pretty self evident to what I was referring to. I can assure you the advice I supplied was accurate and an attempt to help the OP and not spout rhetoric like some others.

Phutoie2, if it was I who motivated your words of wisdom please forgive me. I should have said "Because you can apply for a visa extension one month in advance" but I thought it was pretty self evident to what I was referring to. I can assure you the advice I supplied was accurate and an attempt to help the OP and not spout rhetoric like some others.

To be precise it is an Extension of your Permission to Stay. ;)