Mother Disappeared

Situation:

Australian man & Thai girlfriend marry in Australia. Down the track they have a child. The child has an Australian passport, but the birth was not registered at the Thai embassy in Australia.

When the child reached 14 months of age the mother leaves and returns to Thailand (on her own).

He raises the child alone for the next 8 months with very little contact from the mother. after 8 months she turns up in Australia for a brief couple of weeks and then disappears again, whereabouts currently unknown.

The father and child are now in Thailand staying with his family. Whereabouts of the mother still unknown.

He was advised by the immigration department to apply for Thai citizenship for the child, however he has been told that he must have the mother along with her housebook and her birth certificate to be able to make application, despite the fact that on the childs Australian birth certificate it does show that the mother is Thai and was born in Bangkok, this is neither here nor there in Thailand as it is an Australian document and doesn't carry any weight.

Has anyone been through a similar situation, any advice would be appreciated.

An unusual situation. it is normally the Thai father that shoots through. I am not so sure that the mother must appear in person. You will need to get those 2 documents, which might well be in the possession of the mother's parents, not the mother. Generally, the parents keep both these documents. (1) Is correctly called Tabian Ban, which translates as House Registration. It is a Blue Book. The other is her Birth Certificate. And if you can get the mother's Thai I.D. card ,that will also help. I don't know, but if the mother is untraceable, maybe the Amphur-District office can be of assistance, by providing some documents. You will need a Thai to go there, as most do not speak English. Do you have the babies Birth certificate? If so, it should have both the father's and mother's names on it. You will need to get it translated into Thai. I hope this provides some help, as I have never heard of this situation , before. Bill

Normally an Embassy birth record is required before any action can be taken inside Thailand for those with foreign birth so not sure if it can be done without this. If contact can be made with mother that should likely be a priority to obtain.

Being a child there is no overstay fine so child can stay in Thailand as an Australian without need for travel for now.

Am not sure when you say he is in Thailand with his parents if you mean the fathers parents or the mothers; or why. If planning to live in Oz it would not be a time critical affair but always best to do as early as possible.

With the birth of my daughter, her Thai grandmother went to the local amphoe to register my daughters birth the mom's house book and id card of the mother. In and out without any troubles. But the birth of my son they would only allow the Thai birth mother of the child with her house book and id card to register. They required both the child and mother present to register my son. They would not allow anyone else to register my sons birth. So my wife went in person to the local amphoe and registered my son in 10 mins.

Edited by gosompoi

Lopburi is correct. The Thai embassy in Australia is the sole authorithy that can issue the Thai birt certificate that would open up Thai nationality for the child.

But I believe it is possible to get the Thai birth certificate from the embassy through the Thai Foreign Ministry, consular department. Op could contact them and see what they can do or contact the Thai embassy in Australia.

http://www.consular.go.th/ (In Thai)

Sounds like your relationship with the mother is not too good but none of our business however I am just curious if YOU plan on keeping and/or raising the child? If so I think it would be better to let him have just Australian Citizenship for his future no?

Don't know your situation just curious and what's best for the child.

Also you say that the birth was not registered at the Thai Embassy in Australia so I assume that in Australia the hospitals would register him as an Oz no? And when they did was both your wife and your name put on the Birth Certificate?

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Sounds like your relationship with the mother is not too good but none of our business however I am just curious if YOU plan on keeping and/or raising the child? If so I think it would be better to let him have just Australian Citizenship for his future no?

Don't know your situation just curious and what's best for the child.

Also you say that the birth was not registered at the Thai Embassy in Australia so I assume that in Australia the hospitals would register him as an Oz no? And when they did was both your wife and your name put on the Birth Certificate?

The child has both nationalities, only the Thai naionality needs to be proven with the borth cerificate. Both countries don't have an issue with the child having two nationalities.

Thanks for those replies.Bluegrass, I am not either one of the childs parents.

There is going to be no cooperation at all from the mother even if she turns up , that is sure and certain. And it would be fair to say that none would be forthcoming from her family except at an astronomical cost financially.

The father is staying with HIS family in Thailand at present because he needs some support, he tried very hard to manage in Australia, holding down a full time job, having the child in day care during that time, and afterhours doing all the things a mum & dad would normally do, but it was hard going on his own and not the best for the child.

He's not quite sure how to sort this mess out, I just thought someone might have had similar to share.