Where To Go In March/April ?

djillali

I am trying to tie in my annual business trips during burning season. I have to go to London, Bangalore and Christchurch (at a minimum -- maybe Hobart too) this year. I am thinking London or Christchurch for April.

Is CM really that bad in March/April? I thought there were lots of you guys who live there year round?

C

Unfortunately, yes, it is ... reminds me of those old Hollywood-movies' view of Victorian-London, with the smog swirling about, but they eventually cured the London pea-soupers, I just remember the tail-end of that era as a youngster. B)

Is CM really that bad in March/April? I thought there were lots of you guys who live there year round?

C

There are lots of guys that live here year round (well exist here year round).

The ones that aren't frightened to leave paradise, normally miss the choking smog.

Is May ok?

Fine, the first rain-showers of the coming-monsoon wash the air clear, and also drop the temperature to something more-tolerable, Songran-festival is our (or perhaps I should say, the Thais' ?) attempt to artificially-mimic this effect ! :rolleyes:

I live here most of the year and love it here, but I need a vacation once in a while. March is one of the best times to do that. The air here is usually fine for at least 10 months a year. March sucks.

There have now been 3 votes for NZ as a place to go, including mine.

Hua Hin, but you'll need more than 2 cents. There's a direct overnight bus from here for about 800.

Cha'am is nice along that coast, less crowded, not touristy and much cheaper prices.

To be fair, Cha Am is a bit of a poor man's HH and is a little featureless... perhaps a blast for the old boys reading books under casuarina trees. The most interesting thing is the Buddha image with all those hands, and it does, in fact, get very touristy with the local crowd.

I like the Dali idea, on the lake, although guy is after somewhere by sea.

How about Tioman Island off east coast of the Malay Peninsula? Monsoon would have finished by then and you could lie on the beach that featured in South Pacific. Bali Haaiiiiiiii:

South%2BPacific%2Bsmash%2BTioman%2Bisland%2Bis%2Bone%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bworld%2527s%2Bbest-kept%2Btravel%2Bsecrets%2B%2B1.jpg

Fly to KL, bus to Mersing and ferry across... also thing there's a small airstrip there.

Jackr shhhh!

I understand. And July's occasional light drizzle is barely perceptible, too.

I always carry a raincoat on my bike in July, but hardly ever have to use it. Isn't Chiang Mai great. :)

I wouldn't want to miss April 13th and all those wet T shirts. wink.gif

Can anyone comment on the air quality at the Royal Angkhang Station Project during the pollution season?

Have been there many times during the hot season and always the same same.......cool, beautiful and clean air. @ 1,300mtrs, you raise above the filth and heat below. Stay at the cabins in the Royal project...clean, cheap and cozy.

Can anyone comment on the air quality at the Royal Angkhang Station Project during the pollution season?

Have been there many times during the hot season and always the same same.......cool, beautiful and clean air. @ 1,300mtrs, you raise above the filth and heat below. Stay at the cabins in the Royal project...clean, cheap and cozy.

Need to pin this down a little more: *Hot* season (April) there also isn't a haze issue in lower areas of the North. In March however, there usually is, while the temperatures are not yet scorching hot. Were you there in March or April?

C

Unfortunately, yes, it is ... reminds me of those old Hollywood-movies' view of Victorian-London, with the smog swirling about, but they eventually cured the London pea-soupers, I just remember the tail-end of that era as a youngster. B)

Interesting - I had to look this up - seems like it was pretty difficult to get people to stop polluting the air as this wiki excerpt shows:

Early on, no one had the scientific tools to correlate smog with adverse health effects, but complaints about the smoky air as an annoyance date back to at least 1272, when King Edward I, on the urging of important noblemen and clerics, banned the burning of sea-coal. Anyone caught burning or selling the stuff was to be tortured or executed. The first offender caught was summarily put to death. This deterred nobody. Of necessity, citizens continued to burn sea-coal in violation of the law, which required the burning of wood few could afford.

Not until the 1950s, when a four-day fog in 1952 killed roughly 4,000 Londoners was any real reform passed. Parliament enacted the Clean Air Act in 1956, effectively reducing the burning coal. It was the beginning of serious air-pollution reform in England.

So maybe that's the solution - let's burn way more, until lots of people die, and then steps will be taken to clean up the air. I mean, doubtlessly, there's already lots of people dying from various lung diseases but there seem to be no national statistics on the topic, or if there are they're not making the news.

Edited by nikster

Flying away sounds tempting but it gets a bit expensive with 4 adults and 2 kids... so we're going to do Ko Chang and Hua Hin next time.

Were in Samui before - I loved it, but the mrs. isn't really all that much into the beach life; in fact, like most Thais, she will only do beaches after 6 pm. Preferably at sunset. Anyway Samui is great if you need to rent a big house, plenty available, for cheaps. Koh Chang has barely any houses for rent, we're only going to be there for a little while. HH I don't know - anyone know houses for rent there?