Organic Food Hub Status Planned For Thailand

webfact

Organic food hub status planned for Thailand

By The Nation

The Commerce Ministry plans to set up Thailand as an organic food hub within the next five years to serve the regional single market plan.

Yanyong Phuangrach, commerce permanent secretary, said yesterday that regional market integration via Asean Economic Community will create export opportunity for Thai organic goods. Asean is the biggest export market of those products now.

The ministry also plans to double the export value of organic food to Bt5 billion within the next 10 years.

The ministry also won the Cabinet's approval to put eggs and warehouse service into the price control list, which now comprises 39 products and services.

The Commerce Ministry also reported the irregularity of pork prices. It plans close monitoring on the wholesale price.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-24

Thai authorities try again, but miss the point. The sages at the Commerce Ministry think they see a way to make added money. Perhaps it is, but organic food is not an item to use for revenue, like tires or toothpaste - it's an important item for all Thais to use and appreciate.

Currently, either all or nearly all rice in every bowl in Thailand is grown with added chemicals. Maybe those chemicals are safe, maybe not, but with that sort of odds, everyone in Thailand who eats rice (which is 100% of Thais, and most farang) is playing russian roulette with their health. ....and that's just rice. Taken a step further, nearly all produce in Thailand has questionable chemicals. Even things labeled 'organic' can very well have been sprayed. It's not just myself personally who's seen that happen, but other farang have told me the same from their own observations. So not only are Thais being cheated, but the overseas community (whomever is going to buy 'organic' products from Thailand) won't have to look far to see that Thai farmers have a long way to go before being trusted to be really organic.

In California, organic certification is only given to growing areas which can show they have at least 5 years of no chemical applications, - and that includes their water sources and watersheds. Can you imagine Thais having the credence and trustworthiness to be that responsible? I can't.

For Thailand to become an 'Organic Food Hub' its Ag people and farmers need to make great strides in learning about what organic is, and in being trustworthy. Not impossible, but a tough row to hoe.

It's not enough to see the high prices people pay for organic, and say to oneself (as Commerce people apparently have) Wow! let's tell everyone we're growing organic, then we can get those higher prices!

One needs to remember that it takes some five to ten years to purge the soil of chemical deposits from agricultural chemicals. The water supply need in fact must also be free of all chemical trace too.

In view of the current concern about foodstuffs from Thailand that are exported to Europe I fear that the statement is but a knee jerk reaction by an ill informed politician,

Less of the political hot air and we might well achieve a cleaner air supply here in Thailand..

Look out !!!

There goes a low flying pig !!

How about organic food for the domestic market in Thailand? Looks like a pretty big opportunity IMO.

I wonder how they're going to go about enforcement and checks... probably no plan in place...

on the contrary, there is a plan in place since 10 years, and amazingly...it works :P

I couldn't care less about 'organic' status, but I'd welcome a *genuine* certification system about pesticide residues in fruit and vegetables. That's a real issue that affects everyone's health.

Unfortunately certification in Thailand...well, just look at the 5-star energy rating stickers on every single electrical appliance that is sold...

In view of the current concern about foodstuffs from Thailand that are exported to Europe I fear that the statement is but a knee jerk reaction by an ill informed politician,

Less of the political hot air and we might well achieve a cleaner air supply here in Thailand..

Look out !!!

Thailand is already the hub of knee jerk reactions by ill informed politicians.

Perhaps with all these flying pigs in Thailand they will find a use for the aircraft carrier after all.

Look out !!!

Thailand is already the hub of knee jerk reactions by ill informed politicians.

Perhaps with all these flying pigs in Thailand they will find a use for the aircraft carrier after all.

Complaints flood Commerce Min over expensive pork

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4172588

No wonder the pork is expensive. They pigs are much harder to catch now.

Edited by whybother

Even for Thailand this one stretches all manner of credibility.

They might try to export organic but the big chains like Whole Foods, Safeway etc actually test product to prevent themselves from class action lawsuits.

It's one thing to claim organic but entirely another to produce it.

Maybe they can export it to places that don't test but then what is it other than possibly cleaner but overpriced produce.

How about organic food for the domestic market in Thailand? Looks like a pretty big opportunity IMO.

I wonder how they're going to go about enforcement and checks... probably no plan in place...

We gave up trying to grow organic produce. The local markets preferred the chemically contaminated produce. Nor did our organic produce attract a premium price. Whilst there may be a small specialized market in the bigger cities, elsewhere it is probably not be economic to produce organic food for the local Thai market.

The cost of transport will also be a factor in the export market. Organic produce may command a higher price in export markets, but that does not necessarily mean more for the farmer.

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by rreddin

If the local farmer gets paid the same for organic as for chem food whats the incentive?

The higher yield method will be used if the income per unit is the same for both.

I doubt random farmers are going to get higher prices because they claim organic.

They might try to export organic but the big chains like Whole Foods, Safeway etc actually test product to prevent themselves from class action lawsuits.

Maybe they can export it to places that don't test but then what is it other than possibly cleaner but overpriced produce.

Ive a friend who works in the UK in this field, he eats whatever is put in front of him and would never pay extra for Organic foodstuffs as he claims theyre predominantly full of chemicals, its just the chemicals are acceptable for Organic farming that pass UK regulation/guidleines.

Thai govt probably see it as a nice little scam that the west are turning a blind eye to that they want to get in on.

Edited by Englander

Ive a friend who works in the UK in this field, he eats whatever is put in front of him and would never pay extra for Organic foodstuffs as he claims theyre predominantly full of chemicals, its just the chemicals are acceptable for Organic farming that pass UK regulation/guidleines.

Thai govt probably see it as a nice little scam that the west are turning a blind eye to that they want to get in on.

Sorry but your friends talking <deleted>...

Here we go again hub hub hub..................................When these people that Thailand is only the hub of one thing and that is the hub of shooting theirselves in the foot with their protest demonstrations

shooting self in foot was the old target, they now aim much higher

Sorry but your friends talking <deleted>...

agree, your friend is a nut. Sure, there are many many people who don't give a hoot what they eat, that's their business. There are also people in Africa who literally eat dirt.

On the other hand, it's known that farmers in Idaho who grow potatoes for McDonalds, won't allow their family members to eat the potatos. They grow their own organic potatos on a small plot for themselves.

The town I reside in, Chiang Rai, probably has close to 1 million people if the surrounding areas are included. However, there's not one organic outlet. People don't care, they know little about what organic really is, plus they're primarily concerned about lower costs for food.

Bangkok officials announced a plan, years ago, to check every truck coming in to the city with fresh produce, to see whether their veges and fruits had too much toxic chemical residue. One truck was checked, and the program petered out. That pretty much sums up the reliability factor for Thai authorities, and their press releases.

And another hub, and another hub, and another hub, and another hub, and... it's laughable, really.

So many hubs but the only thing spinning is my head.

The one thing that actually confuses me about this whole "hub" thing.....do the various goverment depatments actually issue statements using words like "hub" and "crackdown" or is a case of a newspaper editor having a very small English dictionary on his desk ?

For example "crack down" - accepted syonyms could be - onslaught, attack, concentrated effort etc

"Hub" - center, heart, focal point etc

Thailand has just banned the export of 14 different fruit and vegetables because of continued, excessive infestation with pests including whiteflies, thrips and leaf miners. Surely the farmers should be using more insecticide to kill off the bugs, rather than trying to grow organic.

Thailand has just banned the export of 14 different fruit and vegetables because of continued, excessive infestation with pests including whiteflies, thrips and leaf miners. Surely the farmers should be using more insecticide to kill off the bugs, rather than trying to grow organic.

Once again, someone with limited knowledge of chemical farming, whose cognitive functioning has been compromised by the ingestion of too many chemicals. Perhaps the insects/pests have built up an immunity to the increased amount of insecticides used. More insecticides will only add more poison to the produce and the environment while actually increasing the amount of pests. Organic farming has been proven to be an affective way to preserve both the quality of food and the soil in which it is grown. However, this poses a threat to the mega chemical companies' profits and they are doing their best to convince the ignorant public that only more chemicals will save the agricultural industry.

That being said, I have serious doubts that Thailand will develop into an organic 'hub'. In Chiang Mai there is an orange vendor who has two large crates of oranges. The oranges from one crate sold for 20 baht a kilo. The oranges from the crate marked as "organic" sold for 50 baht a kilo. I asked him if he can show me his certification that those oranges were truly organic. He had no idea what I was talking about. He probably bought his oranges from the market and just marked one box as organic because he was informed he could sell them for twice the price. Anyone have any doubts that this scenario will be magnified when organic goes national?

Edited by jaltsc

Once again, someone with limited knowledge of chemical farming, whose cognitive functioning has been compromised by the ingestion of too many chemicals. Perhaps the insects/pests have built up an immunity to the increased amount of insecticides used. More insecticides will only add more poison to the produce and the environment while actually increasing the amount of pests. Organic farming has been proven to be an affective way to preserve both the quality of food and the soil in which it is grown. However, this poses a threat to the mega chemical companies' profits and they are doing their best to convince the ignorant public that only more chemicals will save the agricultural industry.

That being said, I have serious doubts that Thailand will develop into an organic 'hub'. In Chiang Mai there is an orange vendor who has two large crates of oranges. The oranges from one crate sold for 20 baht a kilo. The oranges from the crate marked as "organic" sold for 50 baht a kilo. I asked him if he can show me his certification that those oranges were truly organic. He had no idea what I was talking about. He probably bought his oranges from the market and just marked one box as organic because he was informed he could sell them for twice the price. Anyone have any doubts that this scenario will be magnified when organic goes national?

I hope this wont take hold like it has in the UK, I am sure they stick a high price tag on all the grotty bug eaten produce and call it organic!

Here we go again hub hub hub..................................When these people that Thailand is only the hub of one thing and that is the hub of shooting theirselves in the foot with their protest demonstrations

and bargirls

Thai authorities try again, but miss the point. The sages at the Commerce Ministry think they see a way to make added money. Perhaps it is, but organic food is not an item to use for revenue, like tires or toothpaste - it's an important item for all Thais to use and appreciate.

Currently, either all or nearly all rice in every bowl in Thailand is grown with added chemicals. Maybe those chemicals are safe, maybe not, but with that sort of odds, everyone in Thailand who eats rice (which is 100% of Thais, and most farang) is playing russian roulette with their health. ....and that's just rice. Taken a step further, nearly all produce in Thailand has questionable chemicals. Even things labeled 'organic' can very well have been sprayed. It's not just myself personally who's seen that happen, but other farang have told me the same from their own observations. So not only are Thais being cheated, but the overseas community (whomever is going to buy 'organic' products from Thailand) won't have to look far to see that Thai farmers have a long way to go before being trusted to be really organic.

In California, organic certification is only given to growing areas which can show they have at least 5 years of no chemical applications, - and that includes their water sources and watersheds. Can you imagine Thais having the credence and trustworthiness to be that responsible? I can't.

For Thailand to become an 'Organic Food Hub' its Ag people and farmers need to make great strides in learning about what organic is, and in being trustworthy. Not impossible, but a tough row to hoe.

It's not enough to see the high prices people pay for organic, and say to oneself (as Commerce people apparently have) Wow! let's tell everyone we're growing organic, then we can get those higher prices!

Agreed, I wouldn't trust any product here enough to believe that what is said on the label is true.

Not enough accountability here.