Ereader Plus Internet Radio - Does It Exist?

californiabeachboy

I live in the US but spend a few months each year in Thailand. The number one thing I miss when I travel there is music. I take my mp3 but I get tired of the same music and I would really like Internet radio (I subscribe to Sirious/XM here in the US, and they now have a streaming Internet based radio. The number two thing I miss is something to read while hanging out by the pool or the beach. So I am looking at devices that I could buy here in the US that would help. I am thinking about buying an Ereader that has access to Internet radio. Does that really exist? Although I am not sure, it looks like some Ereaders run on Android, and there are apps that allow me to get Internet radio (not sure about that). So my questions are:

1. Has anyone here tried an Ereader at the pool or the beach, under an umbrella? Is it readable in the sharp contrast? I am curious as to how it compares to reading a hard copy book in that situation.

2. Does Internet radio work in Thailand? I have had some video calls with friends in Thailand that were constantly having connectivity problems. I will be in Bkk, Jomtien Beach and/or Kata Beach in Phuket. Does anyone listen to Internet radio in Thailand?

The kicker is that I don't want to spend more that $150 US. I will only use this in Thailand, not here in the US, and I don't want to worry about getting it damaged or stolen. They now have Ereaders here in the US for under $150. I know I could bring my laptop, but I don't like traveling with it.

Thanks.

It seems like Sirius XM Internet Radio requires 3G or WiFi so your device would need one/both radios. Did you consider the internet connection required? True have 3G in some of the spots you plan on visiting but not sure on exact coverage. True, and others, offer WiFi but coverage is limited. I guess your hotel(s) might have WiFi?

I think your requirements and price-point are currently out of reach?

Off the top of my head an iPad would get you True 3G (850 MHz), WiFi and reader functionality. Or maybe better to bring a book, and an MP3 player with FM radio, then you can listen to some Thai radio stations.

Hi,

I far as an ereader I have both a Kindle 3 and Jetbook Lite and both work great outdoors. The Jetbook is the cheaper of the two and can be bought at between 90 and 100 dollars. The Kindle is currently $139 with WiFi. As lomatopo stated the Ipad would be the closest to your requirements, but is more expensive.

Edited by Thaigreg

Thank you for the responses.

I checked into the kindle a few days ago but the salesman said the wi-fi is very limited in that you only connect to Amazon to download books or music - no Internet radio. Seemed odd to me but that is what he said. I don't think the jet book has wi-fi?

The problem with iphones/smartphones is that, as I understand it, streaming music uses a lot of data, so to sit in a hotel room and listen to streaming music would be prohibitively expensive.

The logitech looks interesting, even though no reader. I called them and they said as far as they know it would work in an overseas hotel wi-fi system, although they have never been asked that before. It is a bit heavy to carry in luggage (around 4 pounds), I may check into buying one in Thailand if it is available.

I agree that my price limitation is probably the killer. I will be there in March and I will probably just do, as one poster suggested, what I did a few months ago - load up my MP3 with songs, buy some used English language books while there, and do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks again

Outside in the sun the only good readers are those using eInk displays, notably the Kindle. It actually shows up sharper in brighter sun vs. total washout for iPad etc. The Kindle3 will play MP3 that you have loaded into it (not streaming), and is great for music while reading. The price of Kindle3 is US$139 from Amazon.

A separate problem is getting USA music sources. Pandora does not work in Thailand because of music licensing restrictions, same as Hulu for video and the BBC player limits.

You can get Kindle and Audible apps for Android devices, the Samsung Galaxy tab makes a pretty good reader and battery life is excellent. You can use your phone as a reader if you don't mind the small size. There are some very good internet radio apps for these devices as well - try 'A Online Radio'.

But you won't get these for that price.

Thanks for the additional info. I will check it out.

The video is interesting. Of course, if I am trying that in Thailand, I will start out driving on the left side of the road, and then I will start playing around with the stations and the music, drift over to the right side of the road, and within a few minutes I will have no need for a reader with music.

Cheers.

The spec sheet I see on the Galaxy Tab web site from Samsung says its 3G capability is only 900/1900/2100... They don't say anything about there being a different version available.

That would mean wouldn't run 3G on True's current 850 Mhz band...which is the most widely available 3G in Thailand right now... TOT's 3G on 2100 Mhz is only available in Bangkok.

It does however have wireless N...

post-53787-0-63766700-1296099600_thumb.j