Custuoms Duty On Personal Items

I am 61 and have been living in a rented apartment in Bangkok for almost two years now. I started with the typical 30 day visa, moved to a 60 day mult-entry one, and then to a 1 yr multi-entry type O visa. I will be applying for a retirement visa in late January when I return from a short trip to Cambodia. I expect to be living here after that.

I must return to the U$A to finish selling and giving away my remaining personal items. I would like to bring some personal and household items to Thailand. There is more to bring than will fit into the two suitcases allowed by the airlines.

I live on the Atlantic coast of the U$A so it would be easy, and realtive cheap, to have my personal and household items packed into a crate and shipped by sea to Bangkok. The shipping time of a couple of months isn't a problem nor is going to custums at the port in Bangkok to retrieve the box. Does anyone know if I can bring these items in duty free, or will I have to pay duty on them?

Thanks in advace for any help.

Harry

Guest IT Manager

I leave myself open to correction however this is my most recent experience for a client:

1 Container 20 foot from USA California, took 28 days.

Contents were extremely detailed on the Bill of Lading.

I suggested don't bring in TV's as they are not worth it considering the cost here, and frequently don't work PAL/NTSC is not always selectable though I realise with VCR's it is.

I suggested bring 1 PC, it was dutied.

Furniture was not dutied nor a large collection of Persian Rugs, listed as a "collection".

Clothes and books no duty.

Get a good customs clearance person who will charge a couple of thousand baht to smooth the lumps. We use a lady located near Port of Bangkok and she is very good.

Hope it helps.

IT :o

######

Do you happen to remember what the approximate cost of shipping that container from California was? I'm curious since I am on the west coast and may do something similar when my turn comes. I could check it out here and will down the road. I realize that weight is probably an issue, but unless your client was shipping lead bars, it would give me a rough idea.

Jeepz

Guest IT Manager

38,000 baht sticks in my mind, it was furnishings not lead weights. Contact your shipper for the actual cost from them which may be different due to "tea tax" they pay happily, which our guys don't pay, unless forced.