Dengue In Phuket

Friday13th

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Sorry to start my membership with a question but I've been looking online for some info on Phuket and have been unable to find it. I thought I'd try posting here as people living in the area would probably be best placed to help me. So, here's my question, what is the dengue fever situation like in Phuket? I want to come to Phuket for a few months to visit a Thai Boxing school. Having had dengue already it would be very dangerous for me to get it again so I have to be very careful. So I just would like to know how bad the situation is there, and if there are times of the year when it's better than other times? Thanks to anybody who takes the time to help me with this, it's surprisingly difficult to get information on the subject

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Sorry to start my membership with a question but I've been looking online for some info on Phuket and have been unable to find it. I thought I'd try posting here as people living in the area would probably be best placed to help me. So, here's my question, what is the dengue fever situation like in Phuket? I want to come to Phuket for a few months to visit a Thai Boxing school. Having had dengue already it would be very dangerous for me to get it again so I have to be very careful. So I just would like to know how bad the situation is there, and if there are times of the year when it's better than other times? Thanks to anybody who takes the time to help me with this, it's surprisingly difficult to get information on the subject

There has been little media about dengue fever on Phuket of late. Some reports in recent months recorded cases in provinces further south.

Check News archives at: www.phuketgazette.net

Dengue fever is endemic to Phuket. There are cases every year, though malaria is rare.

The disease is passed on by the Aedes mosquito. These are the big ones that are active in the afternoon and early evening. They are characterised by having big black and white striped legs.

Dengue does exist in Phuket, and throughout Thailand for that matter. You will run the risk of catching it again during your stay here.

My boss had it about 3 months ago.

Having said that, he's the only farang i know in Phuket who has caught it. However, i'm sure its not rare among the local population.

Cover yourself in DEET and u should be fine.

Thanks for the replies, I've decided to play it safe and wait until November time when I understand dry season starts and the risk of catching it is significantly lower, that's fine anyway it gives me time to sort the finances out. I'll just make sure to cover myself in DEET when I'm there and hope for the best

• 4 months later...

It's a little late on the original post, but my wife and I both got out of the hospital one month ago with Dengue.

We had been in Phuket a little over two weeks when the fever started (during scuba diving). After being hospitalized, my wife looked after me for two days before the fever started.

Oddly, we had different types- I had DHF-1, and she had DHF-4, so we didn't get bitten by the same mosquitoe.

We were (/are) staying in Kata, in a tourist area. We are also fairly religious with our DEET (the roll-on stuff). Apparently, the guesthouse owners both had dengue a month earlier.

As is typical for thailand, news that might scare the tourists away is often never reported. Dengue Fever is a problem throughout Thailand. Tourist areas are no exception.