Overstay Of 25 Years

If the story is true as stated....

1) How did he keep managing to get passports in Thailand that were totally empty? No entrance/exit stamps of any kind or permission to stay? You would think the people issuing at least 2 new passports would have red-flagged him for at least a chat.

Not their business to do immigration's job for them.

There could be a legitimate explanation. For example, he may have been entering and leaving Thailand on another country's passport. Plenty of people have more than one passport.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Brits showed on my shores many moons ago, they neither had their passports or any type of visa, that we did nt mind, but they then went ahead and said we will be your lords from now on and yeah, you have to now pay taxes from now on.

this guy is at least very humble, he married a local and kept out of politics.

But before you go contacting his embassy, lets make sure they still have his records, lest we have a stateless elderly person on our hands.

Sorry,

but i take that as an absolute insult to me AND all the others in thailand that keep their visa`s up to date and often loss intrest on money we have to bring in and show in our thai bank accounts for visa`s.......SHAME ON YOU SIR

So rizia, I guess you are saying that you are totally perfect, and you have everything in your life in perfect order from very possible perspective. Well, if you are saying that, I don't believe you.

If you in fact don't have absolutely everything in dorder, they why are you making such comments? And, by the way, don't speak on my behalf!

I too fail to see how this guy not having a visa in any way impacts you or how you can in the least bit feel he has insulted you ? :o

I have a visa and work permit and do not feel at all insulted. This man has for his own reasons failed to keep his visa up to date. That is his problem. The last time I was talking to an immigration officer he said that Farang overstaying was good for Thailand as it meant more money for Thailand.

Your comments are like me saying I am insulted by the amount of Farang who ride a motorcycle without a helmet as I always do and I had to import a very expensive helmet as well.

Get real and live and let live. :D

While I am not insulted, I actually agree with the first poster. He not only did not keep his visa updated, he worked illegally. These types of people and others abusing the system are what causes the problems for hte people trying to do things legally.

There have been posts by similar long term 20 year overstayers, this guy is far from the first in this situation. Go to immigration, pay your fine, get on your flight home, get a real visa at the Thai embassy in your home country, be back in Thailand in a few weeks time after your vacation home.

1) How did he keep managing to get passports in Thailand that were totally empty? No entrance/exit stamps of any kind or permission to stay? You would think the people issuing at least 2 new passports would have red-flagged him for at least a chat.

I think the embassy only cares if you're a wanted criminal or not

I think the embassy only cares if you're a wanted criminal or not

Hope he still can recite his national anthem, as that might be the only way to prove his origins.

Why are there immigration police and immigration laws giving us "trouble"? Rather than blame a specific person, you may as well blame human nature. There will always be police and there will always be people who don't follow the letter of the law. Do you wish to deny Thais so many jobs?

Unless you still have (a copy of) the old passport with the details of your entry into Thailand, this might be a bit of a problem. Immigration might want to check if you entered the country legally, they also migth want to question you about your stay in Thailand and check if you were not working illegally.

I would go to Cheang Wattana and before you go contact your embassy so they might assist you. This one might require some extra time. If all is cleared, you should pay the fine if 20,000 baht and be on your way. It is wise to turn up at immigration with a ticket already in hand, so immigration is assured that you will now leave the country.

Buy a ticket on which you can easily change the departure date.

Normally you will not be blacklisted, and can get a new visa and enter Thailand again, either based on retirement or marriage (if you are legally married at the amphur).

Don't talk to anyone (certainly not Thai immigration) until you have a plan that you are comfortable with and that you are willing and able to carry out. "Getting legal" is not that difficult and you have some sound advice as to how to carry that out. But "getting legal" will only help if you can and will "stay legal". Do you have B400,000 (if you are legally married) or B800,000 (if you are not legally married) in a Thai bank? Has it been there for at least 2 months? Unless you want to start doing visa runs (I doubt that you would consider going that route, or would continue with it very long), when you return to Thailand you will need to apply quickly for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai or retirement, depending on your marital status. You should have all of that lined up and ready before you make the big jump. When you have a plan and are ready with it, then talk to your embassy -- they may give some helpful advice and/or help you implement/liaise with Thai immigration . If you don't have the necessary funds available to get the one year extension of stay, then you are probably better off just keeping a low profile and continuing on as you are--its worked for 25 year! Good luck in any event....

Edited by Thailaw

Unless you still have (a copy of) the old passport with the details of your entry into Thailand, this might be a bit of a problem. Immigration might want to check if you entered the country legally, they also migth want to question you about your stay in Thailand and check if you were not working illegally.

I would go to Cheang Wattana and before you go contact your embassy so they might assist you. This one might require some extra time. If all is cleared, you should pay the fine if 20,000 baht and be on your way. It is wise to turn up at immigration with a ticket already in hand, so immigration is assured that you will now leave the country.

Buy a ticket on which you can easily change the departure date.

Normally you will not be blacklisted, and can get a new visa and enter Thailand again, either based on retirement or marriage (if you are legally married at the amphur).

Don't talk to anyone (certainly not Thai immigration) until you have a plan that you are comfortable with and that you are willing and able to carry out. "Getting legal" is not that difficult and you have some sound advice as to how to carry that out. But "getting legal" will only help if you can and will "stay legal". Do you have B400,000 (if you are legally married) or B800,000 (if you are not legally married) in a Thai bank? Has it been there for at least 2 months? Unless you want to start doing visa runs (I doubt that you would consider going that route, or would continue with it very long), when you return to Thailand you will need to apply quickly for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai or retirement, depending on your marital status. You should have all of that lined up and ready before you make the big jump. When you have a plan and are ready with it, then talk to your embassy -- they may give some helpful advice and/or help you implement/liaise with Thai immigration . If you don't have the necessary funds available to get the one year extension of stay, then you are probably better off just keeping a low profile and continuing on as you are--its worked for 25 year! Good luck in any event....

You nailed it Thailaw.

If no money available for obtaining a visa and/or extensions,he most probably will block his own return back to his family.

Better keep quite

[quote name='Thailaw' ' Don't talk to anyone (certainly not Thai immigration) until you have a plan that you are comfortable with and that you are willing and able to carry out. "Getting legal" is not that difficult and you have some sound advice as to how to carry that out. But "getting legal" will only help if you can and will "stay legal". Do you have B400,000 (if you are legally married) or B800,000 (if you are not legally married) in a Thai bank? Has it been there for at least 2 months? Unless you want to start doing visa runs (I doubt that you would consider going that route, or would continue with it very long), when you return to Thailand you will need to apply quickly for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai or retirement, depending on your marital status. You should have all of that lined up and ready before you make the big jump. When you have a plan and are ready with it, then talk to your embassy -- they may give some helpful advice and/or help you implement/liaise with Thai immigration . If you don't have the necessary funds available to get the one year extension of stay, then you are probably better off just keeping a low profile and continuing on as you are--its worked for 25 year! Good luck in any event....

You nailed it Thailaw.

If you don't have the money for a visa or visa extension you will most probably loose the possibility to stay with your family.

Although illegal,I would certainly suggest you keep it this way as long as possible.

I guess the person/s who get/s made an example of, who may only be a short time overstay, may not look so kindly on him.

Again please explain how somebody else getting into trouble for overstaying has anything at all to do with this guy ? As said again it also has ZERO impact or effect on those of us that keep our visa up to date. Thai immigration seem to care less that the melodramatic drama queens with their fake outrage.

Just before Xmas I went with a friend to Penang who had a 3.5 year overstay. The guy simply didn't bat an eyelid just said Farang had to pay big fine. He left and immediately was given a free tourist visa in Penang and returned 2 days later. It seems to me neither immigration nor the Thai consulate see this as a big problem so why does it " offend / insult " the Farang ?

I guess the person/s who get/s made an example of, who may only be a short time overstay, may not look so kindly on him.

Again please explain how somebody else getting into trouble for overstaying has anything at all to do with this guy ? As said again it also has ZERO impact or effect on those of us that keep our visa up to date. Thai immigration seem to care less that the melodramatic drama queens with their fake outrage.

Just before Xmas I went with a friend to Penang who had a 3.5 year overstay. The guy simply didn't bat an eyelid just said Farang had to pay big fine. He left and immediately was given a free tourist visa in Penang and returned 2 days later. It seems to me neither immigration nor the Thai consulate see this as a big problem so why does it " offend / insult " the Farang ?

I think it offends some other foreigners because just about the only thing that they have managed to achieve in their miserable lives is to obtain a Thai visa and keep it up to date.

To say that guys like this make it harder for the rest of us is complete nonsense. Might as well say that guys who go around murdering people make it harder for those of us who don't!

One thing I would like to ask the OP out of curiosity is whether your parents passed away whilst you were in the middle of your 25 year overstay? If they did then I feel that's a bit sad. None of my business at all, I know.

Edited by inthepink

Guys,

I would like to thank you all so much for your reply's, I can say this hasnt been easy especially when my parents and brother passed on and I could not leave the country,. Unfortunately at this late stage it will be hard to find the money to leave. Just a couple of notes below

1. Never had a problem renewing the passport (only Paying for it) seems the embassy don't really care

2. A Bit worried about all these sleeping dogs (They may just wake up one day)

Thanks for all the advice you have given, I see from some people they are insulted by my being here to them all I say is sorry if that's how you feel.

Again Thanks

I am pleasantly surprised to find that the OP has received mostly support from other posters on this thread rather than the usual excoriation from the 'you screw it up for the rest of us' crowd...right on and I offer my support however the OP manages to 'correct' his situation...

one humorous observation regarding the story of the acquaintance who was a long term overstay, accompanied to the airport by immigration and on the airplane they wouldn't serve him any beer with his meal...the flight attendant hears his request for beer then stands back, arms crossed and sez disapprovingly: 'you overstayed your visa so you don't get to have any cold beer...':lol:

I am pleasantly surprised to find that the OP has received mostly support from other posters on this thread rather than the usual excoriation from the 'you screw it up for the rest of us' crowd...right on and I offer my support however the OP manages to 'correct' his situation...

one humorous observation regarding the story of the acquaintance who was a long term overstay, accompanied to the airport by immigration and on the airplane they wouldn't serve him any beer with his meal...the flight attendant hears his request for beer then stands back, arms crossed and sez disapprovingly: 'you overstayed your visa so you don't get to have any cold beer...':lol:

For me it is something to do with the 25 years. Makes me think...RESPECT, brother!

The only thing that frustrates me about all this is that if he had his sh!t together, odds are he could have been a Thai citizen by now.

Anyway, good luck to the OP in regularising his stay and get back to your family in one piece. Better to go through this and sort it on your own terms, and not the other way around.

I'm amazed -- and really pleased -- that except for the one clown who definitely doesn't speak for me, that the OP has gotten so much understanding and support.

I have a great deal of sympathy for him. Moreover been here for decades and I've never understood the self-righteous Falangs who get all indignant about overstayers (or, for god's sake, visa runners).

I think this might be very close to the mark:

think it offends some other foreigners because just about the only thing that they have managed to achieve in their miserable lives is to obtain a Thai visa and keep it up to date.

Congratulations on the longevity of your marriage (coming up to Silver?) and on looking after your kids.

Just an idea (probably a daft one) - but as you have a valid passport could you leave by boat from some sleepy fishing village then come back in via a legitimate route and start afresh with a new entry stamp? Might be stretching things a bit to say you arrived from UK in a fishing boat though?

Probably best to just keep your head down in practice.

Congratulations on the longevity of your marriage (coming up to Silver?) and on looking after your kids.

There you go! I'll second that.

Farang A: Sent here by his company with visa and other paperwork provided. When not working proceeds to do nothing but drink and chase bargirls (nothing wrong with that per se) and treat Thais with disrespect etc.

Farang B: Lives here quietly doing no harm and being a good husband and father to a Thai family but is an illegal alien. (And manages to look after his family despite huge obstacles and far less opportunities that Farang A)

Some people actually would say that Farang A is not only OK but superior to Farang B. (Now, of course I know there are plenty of guys who fall somewhere in between those 2 extremes -- I'm one of them -- but I'm trying to illustrate the point that your visa doesn't make you any more or less of a good guy).

Edited by SteeleJoe

A few points, i think steelejoe hit the nail on the head with the farang A and B remark. I had a friend who overstayed for 7 years, wen he went to leave country the customs officers were actually havin a laugh with my friend sayin it was the longest 1 they seen! so if pinball was to leave the customs guys wud probably roll out the red carpet and have a whiskey with him.

Think about it the more farangs overstay the more money the customs guys get so they got no intention of not lettin you thru they just wanna get paid.

CONGRATULATIONS PINBALL YOU SHOULD GET YA SELF INTO THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS!

also just think if every farang was to overstay maybe the thais wud do away with the annoyin visa runs every 2 minutes and make life just that little bit easier even tho thailand life is already very easy, other than the annoyin visa runs.

I would look for a way to get legal if possible. There's always uncertainty when leaving the country voluntarily, but there's no uncertainty about it if you are told to leave.

99.9% of all people leave a country "voluntarily". What uncertainty do they face? Generally, it is much better to leave a country voluntarily than to be told/forced to leave. This is certainly true if you ever hope to return to that same country. Your post is confused and confusing to say the least......

Farang A: Sent here by his company with visa and other paperwork provided. When not working proceeds to do nothing but drink and chase bargirls (nothing wrong with that per se) and treat Thais with disrespect etc.

Farang B: Lives here quietly doing no harm and being a good husband and father to a Thai family but is an illegal alien. (And manages to look after his family despite huge obstacles and far less opportunities that Farang A)

Some people actually would say that Farang A is not only OK but superior to Farang B. (Now, of course I know there are plenty of guys who fall somewhere in between those 2 extremes -- I'm one of them -- but I'm trying to illustrate the point that your visa doesn't make you any more or less of a good guy).

I think both extremes (Farang A and B) are as bad as each other. Farang B has a wife and child who rely on him. He has been very lucky. One incident involving a passport check and he is sent home (or IDC), his wife and child may then find themselves on somewhat of a financial sticky wicket.

I think both extremes (Farang A and B) are as bad as each other. Farang B has a wife and child who rely on him. He has been very lucky. One incident involving a passport check and he is sent home (or IDC), his wife and child may then find themselves on somewhat of a financial sticky wicket.

Fair enough.

I don't fully agree. Farang B may have been irresponsible (or there may have been other factors that led to his situation) but however it happened, he wound up in a situation he didn't intend to be in and doesn't know how to get out of. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten in a relationship and had a child but I don't think I'd begrudge him that because he was an illegal alien.

He may have some flaws. Maybe his past irresponsibility makes him a less than ideal husband or parent. But more importantly for this conversation: I admit like him more than Farang A but my point was merely that I don't think Farang A is better than him. A lot people would disagree.

I would look for a way to get legal if possible. There's always uncertainty when leaving the country voluntarily, but there's no uncertainty about it if you are told to leave.

99.9% of all people leave a country "voluntarily". What uncertainty do they face? Generally, it is much better to leave a country voluntarily than to be told/forced to leave. This is certainly true if you ever hope to return to that same country. Your post is confused and confusing to say the least......

I see nothing confusing about it. The OP is about long term overstaying and cdnvic's post is in context with that issue.

I am Farang C

I have been here a long time on and off and originally had a Thai wife support extension, then a Thai child support extension and now a retirement extension.

I live quietly and do my best to be a good husband and father but the exchange rates (plus a frozen pension) haven't been helping of late.

Fortunately that is the main obstacle I face and if it comes to the point where I cannot keep my visa going I would think about quietly dropping off the radar screen.

Nobody has asked me for my passport in the 17 years I have been coming to, working and living in Thailand.

The local police know me and I know some of them and they aren't interested in me from that point of view, the people in the village where I live are the same.

I suspect that I could live here for the rest of my life without bothering with a visa but while I can do it, I will.

I am I ashamed or unhappy that the OP has lived here so long with no visa.

Not in the slightest.