Thai Policeman Gets 25 Years For Pai Murder

webfact

Thai policeman goes down for Pai murder

A Thai policeman who murdered his 18-yr-old bride two weeks after their wedding has been sentenced to 25 years after pleading guilty at Pai Provincial Court.

med_gallery_327_1086_4924.jpg

Sergeant Uthai Dechawiwat had a life sentence reduced in half after he pleaded guilty. He admitted clubbing his wife Wanta to death last year at their home in Pai, Mae Song Province in northern Thailand. The body was discovered by his 10-yr-old daughter from a previous marriage.

Dechachiwat has still to face trial on charges of murdering Canadian backpacker Leo Del Pinto and the attempted murder of his friend Carly Reisig three years ago.

The trial process has been fraught with technical and legal hitches and the failure of witnesses to turn up including the Chief of Police in Pai Colonel Sombat Panya.

med_gallery_327_1086_18094.jpg

The family in Calgary have been informed of [more...]

Source: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/01/27/thai-policeman-goes-down-for-pai-murder/

-- ANDREW.DRUMMOND.COM 2011-01-27

footer_n.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sentenced to 25 years

Would be nice if he has to serve out the sentence in full.

I am of the view that this joker will be out in 10 years. However the BIB can't possibly turn a blind eye to the second case now can they ? So hopefully a second conviction may get him a few more years. Hopefully :ph34r:

Edited by coma

Thailand's finest...the police chief refuses to appear and give testimony in a murder case. You can't make this stuff up!

He kills a Thai and is sentenced within weeks. He kills a Canadian and two years later still hasn't gone to trial.:annoyed:

Amazing Thailand.

Best to toss animals like this in a cage for the rest of its life.

Funny... he kills a Thai and is sentenced within weeks. He kills a Canadian and two years later still hasn't gone to trial.:annoyed:

Yup. Clocked that one. He attempted to murder the Canadian lads friend, so it's not as though there isn't a witness.

Keep it up. Along with the rest of the place rinsing Western firms out, Western people out . . .

Eventually I feel this country will isolate itself from the rest of the world with it's behavior, which will be a shame for all the good Thai folks, of which there are so many.

Good he is sentenced for ONE crime...even if it is the latest murder he committed...

Are you suggesting that killing a foreigner is considered a crime in Thailand?, c'mon this is not a real country, is a "hub", he probably got a refund for the lost bullet by TAT...

<br />Funny... he kills a Thai and is sentenced within weeks.   He kills a Canadian and two years later still hasn't gone to trial.

So the failure of the justice system is responsible for the 18 yr old girl's death. Shame. Failing to lock up a murderer because he only killed a foreigner, then he goes out and kills one of their own. Then he gets charged and sentenced. Guess it highlights what they really think of us.

Speechless...... But as someone else has alreay said. It really does make you think. What do they really think of us?

jb1

If I didn't have kids here, to be honest I'd say let the f'ing place sink.

This boils my pi$$.

<br />Funny... he kills a Thai and is sentenced within weeks. He kills a Canadian and two years later still hasn't gone to trial.

So the failure of the justice system is responsible for the 18 yr old girl's death. Shame. Failing to lock up a murderer because he only killed a foreigner, then he goes out and kills one of their own. Then he gets charged and sentenced. Guess it highlights what they really think of us.

NO. The accused pleaded guilty in the murder of the wife. The accused has pleaded not guilty in the death of the foreigner. In one case there has been a trial. In the other case, no trial. In murder trials there are often lengthy delays as some defense strategies will try and drag out the procedures as long as possible. The longer the delay, the less reliable the testimony as memories wane and the less likely witnesses are to show up. What part do you not understand?

Edited by geriatrickid

And the sad part is that his young wife would most likely be alive had justice been served in the first instance.  That is really sad.

The problem with the Thai thinking on these things is that killers tend to keep killing.  Murder doesn't get harder for them, it gets easier.  If the foot dragging was anti-farang, then they have managed to kill a Thai lady over it.

Now another family gets to suffer due to an initial miscarriage of justice.  

And the sad part is that his young wife would most likely be alive had justice been served in the first instance. That is really sad.

The problem with the Thai thinking on these things is that killers tend to keep killing. Murder doesn't get harder for them, it gets easier. If the foot dragging was anti-farang, then they have managed to kill a Thai lady over it.

Now another family gets to suffer due to an initial miscarriage of justice.

I agree with you. Some 'heads need to roll ' for not at least putting a tighter leash on this grub after being the prime suspect in an 'unsovled' homicide. :(

Funny... he kills a Thai and is sentenced within weeks. He kills a Canadian and two years later still hasn't gone to trial.:annoyed:

Yup. Clocked that one. He attempted to murder the Canadian lads friend, so it's not as though there isn't a witness.

Keep it up. Along with the rest of the place rinsing Western firms out, Western people out . . .

Eventually I feel this country will isolate itself from the rest of the world with it's behavior, which will be a shame for all the good Thai folks, of which there are so many.

As they say, "Thailand is just Burma with electricity"

Yes he attempted to murder the Canadian lad;s friend who is a substancial witness but as the police say the witnesses refuse to turn up. So I guess he has abandoned his late friend in support of the BIB.

Yes he attempted to murder the Canadian lad;s friend who is a substancial witness but as the police say the witnesses refuse to turn up. So I guess he has abandoned his late friend in support of the BIB.

Think about it: His friend probably couldn't afford to live here for god-only-knows-how-many-years while waiting for the justice system to do its work. Probably had to return to his work/life in N. America.

Think about it: His friend probably couldn't afford to live here for god-only-knows-how-many-years while waiting for the justice system to do its work. Probably had to return to his work/life in N. America.

Just for the record folks, his friend was a female and she was in a pretty critical condition after they were both shot by this drunken off-duty so called police officer

Do you really have any question now as to why she would want to return to see what justice done. The poor girl is lucky to be alive and probably never wants to see Thailand again or eat in a Thai restaurant in her own country

I understand what you are saying but she may be the key to ensuring this guy doesn't see the light of day again. Me's thinking.:(

Do you really have any question now as to why she would want to return to see what justice done. The poor girl is lucky to be alive and probably never wants to see Thailand again or eat in a Thai restaurant in her own country

You may be right she would have gone through a hell of an experience.

Speechless...... But as someone else has alreay said. It really does make you think. What do they really think of us?

jb1

My god, that's opening not just a can of worms but a whole bloody shipping container-full !

Seriously though, i reckon that any Thai who hasn't been closely involved with a farang, sharing

a common language to a well-developed level, hasn't got a clue about 'us' outside of the usual

run of racist-ish stereotypes.

I understand what you are saying but she may be the key to ensuring this guy doesn't see the light of day again. Me's thinking.:(

You may be right she would have gone through a hell of an experience.

She isn't the witness that wasn't showing up. If you read in the article it states: "Dechachiwat has still to face trial on charges of murdering Canadian backpacker Leo Del Pinto and the attempted murder of his friend Carly Reisig three years ago.

The trial process has been fraught with technical and legal hitches and the failure of witnesses to turn up including the Chief of Police in Pai Colonel Sombat Panya."

The Chief of Police wasn't appearing to testify along with other Thai witnesses. This has been in the news over the past year or so. But then he "lost it" again while out on bail for the murder of the Canadian lad and attempted murder of his friend and killed his young wife in a rather brutal fashion... May he rot in prison for life...

sentenced to 25 years

Would be nice if he has to serve out the sentence in full.

I am of the view that this joker will be out in 10 years.

10 years sounds a bit optimistic, If i were a betting man id guess he'll be out in 2 or less one way or another.

Edited by Englander