Fortuner Fuel Economy

Tompa

I’ve had my Fortuner for about a month and a half now, and according to the trip computer I’m only getting about 7.5 km per liter. The average speed so far is 44 kph. I drive mostly in town, so I guess the fuel economy is suffering due to this. Still, I think this is pretty <deleted> if you ask me! What about you other Fortuner owner out there. How’s your fuel economy?

Cheers,

Tompa,

I have a dumb question (sorry I don't have a Fortuner).

Is your trip computer displaying 'km per litre" OR the more usual "litres per 100km"?

7.5 litres per 100km is much more reasonable (about 13km per litre). Just a thought.

Ah, and which engine do you have?

I used to have a 3.5 GDi petrol Pajero in Malaysia ( Auto box). It would do about 7 km/litre - mix of round town and highway work. It was over 7 years old (1997 model) and I would have expected engine tech to move on since then.

The auto box - 4 speed or 5 speed? Pajero was 5 speed, and in traffic at 40 - 45 kph was in 5th gear, ticking over at 1800 - 2000 revs. Check and see what gear you are in and how hard the engine is revving.

However if mostly town driving you are probably getting about the right consumption. Its a big, heavy car, small(ish) engine, auto box.

Any vehicle like that will be thirsty - diesel is always the way to go if you want low(er) fuel consumption.

I also have the 2.7 auto gasoline version (by choice). Stuff the oil burners!

My trip computer is indicating 9.9 kms/litre at 17500 kms. I do a lot of long distance driving but also city (BKK).

Fuel consumption is dependent on engine speed, generally, so if you routinely drive over the 90km limit or use the few 120km roads at high speeds then fuel economy will suffer. Also, heavy footed acceleration will drink more. Automatic transmissions use more energy compared to manual transmissions.

Yes, they gas Fortuner is a bit thirsty but then it is a 2.7 engine pulling around almost two tons of car. The Toyota blurb states 10 km/l but doesn't say on what the figure is based.

If it's any comfort, you would have paid 100k more for the diesel version. For that money you could buy enough gasoline at todays prices to take you around 40,000 kms. Petrol is still only 35% of the European cost and the pump price should start levelling off soon if OPEC get their act together.

The diesel version in city driving will give you about 25% better mileage than the gas version but no one has offered any figures for their rural driving.

You didn't state what your total kms are but it must be low. A new engine is 'tight'. Once it loosens up (assuming that you have broken it in gently) you should see your consumption improving (i.e. more kms to the litre)

I’ve had my Fortuner for about a month and a half now, and according to the trip computer I’m only getting about 7.5 km per liter. The average speed so far is 44 kph. I drive mostly in town, so I guess the fuel economy is suffering due to this. Still, I think this is pretty <deleted> if you ask me! What about you other Fortuner owner out there. How’s your fuel economy?

Cheers,

Tompa,

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

• 1 month later...
Drove around 8000 km up to date.

1/10,0 fuel consumption.

Mostly city and easy driving.

Still happy with my baby :o

Presumably Dutch you have the diesel?

I am now at 21k with my gasoline version and reached the Toyota stated figure of 10 km/litre at 17.5k. Mostly I am driving long distance (BKK out and back) steady 90 kph. I doubt that continuous city driving would give more than 7 kph.

No the gasoline version.

I am now at 10400 km and 1/10,4 fuel consumption.

Lately many 50 km trips at 90 km /hr

No parking and waiting with running motor in town any more,which is killing the consumption calculation

2.5 diesel is cheaper than the 2.7 petrol and probably would give better mileage.

From what I've read, the big problem with the Fortuner (apart from the fact that it is big and heavy and shaped like a brick and has massive big tires, and has 2 heavy and unusable back seats that don't fold out of the way properly, and is based on the Vigo chassis that is really just a ladder frame which is grand for a pickup) is that unlike the Vigo that it is based on the Fortuner doesn't have a 2wd mode. You're always in 4wd. There is a FC penalty to this sort of thing.

I read that Toyota are planning a version that allows you to change to 2wd which is sensible. They should also make it about 1/2 the size and weight, make it more streamlined and use a 1.3 liter engine rather than a 2.7. But keep the 7 seats and.... Oh, oh yeah, that would be the Avanza.

But seriously 7.5 km/l is not bad at all in Bangkok driving considering all.

I'm driving a manual speed 1.6 liter sedan and getting 11km/l in the city and about 14 km/l on the open road. I thought the Fortuner would have been worse than you guys are saying. It's actually reasonable for a big heavy SUV like that.

I love Fortuners anyway. I always try to get close to them when parking, because they block out the sun and protect my car. Just a pisser when you get stuck behind one though because you can't see anything except an oversized "T".

Another good indication how you drive your car, is using the information from the "computer" about :Engine running hours.

If your engine ran 12 hours with one full tank,you most probably do a lot of small tyrips and also run your engine while parking.

At the moment my car 1/10,5 (!) at an average of 47 km/hr

2.5 diesel is cheaper than the 2.7 petrol and probably would give better mileage.

From what I've read, the big problem with the Fortuner (apart from the fact that it is big and heavy and shaped like a brick and has massive big tires, and has 2 heavy and unusable back seats that don't fold out of the way properly, and is based on the Vigo chassis that is really just a ladder frame which is grand for a pickup) is that unlike the Vigo that it is based on the Fortuner doesn't have a 2wd mode. You're always in 4wd. There is a FC penalty to this sort of thing.

I read that Toyota are planning a version that allows you to change to 2wd which is sensible. They should also make it about 1/2 the size and weight, make it more streamlined and use a 1.3 liter engine rather than a 2.7. But keep the 7 seats and.... Oh, oh yeah, that would be the Avanza.

But seriously 7.5 km/l is not bad at all in Bangkok driving considering all.

I'm driving a manual speed 1.6 liter sedan and getting 11km/l in the city and about 14 km/l on the open road. I thought the Fortuner would have been worse than you guys are saying. It's actually reasonable for a big heavy SUV like that.

I love Fortuners anyway. I always try to get close to them when parking, because they block out the sun and protect my car. Just a pisser when you get stuck behind one though because you can't see anything except an oversized "T".

Say what you like mate, the Fortuner is the best car you can get in Thailand at the moment for a reasonable amount of money, best for the dodgy road conditions, in and out of Bangkok, best for the floods when they occur, can go almost anywhere in one (except certain underground car parks) best for blokes with a couple of kids, maids, in laws, overseas guests etc etc. Mine gives me around 12KLMs per litre gas mileage in my diesel, it'll outlast nearly any car on the road in Thailand in terms of reliability, you could run it a million KLMS without any major headaches (as will any Toyota diesel for that matter). Love my motor, plus I got a 80K stereo/DVD system that is fantastic.

Say what you like mate, the Fortuner is the best car you can get in Thailand at the moment for a reasonable amount of money, best for the dodgy road conditions, in and out of Bangkok, best for the floods when they occur, can go almost anywhere in one (except certain underground car parks) best for blokes with a couple of kids, maids, in laws, overseas guests etc etc. Mine gives me around 12KLMs per litre gas mileage in my diesel, it'll outlast nearly any car on the road in Thailand in terms of reliability, you could run it a million KLMS without any major headaches (as will any Toyota diesel for that matter). Love my motor, plus I got a 80K stereo/DVD system that is fantastic.

Okay, first off, we can both say what we like, no problems with that.

best car.... reasonable amount of money.....

Okay, this is extremely subjective on both sides of that argument. You my feel that 1 million baht is a reasonable price to pay for a car, another might feel it's 2 million, another 500,000. Further, assuming that everyone agrees on 1 million being a reasonable price, there are many choices in that range, and people have all sorts of difference tastes and preferences. I am happy for you that you Love your Fortuner, and your 80K work of stereo and DVD system.

But if you do get a million kilometers out of it, great, however, I predict that your Fortuner will not be on the road 8-10 years from now. You'll have traded in for a hybrid or fuel-cell vehicle and your fortuner will have been used for scrap metal. But you might be able to transfer the DVD system to your new small car, assuming that DVDs are still available.

Yes I'd love a Hybrid, but this being Thailand they tax the hel_l out of them!!!!! By time I get a hybrid in this town I'll have a little microchip thing I can plug into the stereo of my Hyrid and listen to 10 million songs and watch 5 million movies, it'll be great!!!

Haha, yeah, you're probably right there. But it might not be that long. Toyota and Honda are both eyeing up Thailand for a possible production base for hybrid cars. (link: http://bkkautos.com/node/36)

Although that still won't be enough because the prices will sill remain well over the 1 million baht mark. I agree Hybrids are too expensive now, but that's why I said 8-10 years. But if things go the way they seem to be going regarding oil availability and the exponential increase in demand, it could be sooner than that. 1.5 million baht for a car that could do 30km/l might seem like a bargain.

The topic is Fortuner fuel economy :o

Sorry, I can't believe I managed to post without mentioning that the Fortuner has crap fuel economy. Of course I should have included that. I believe that we are still on topic. I was talking about the Fortuner's poor economy inevitably leading to owners' flogging them off and getting more economical motors in the near future.

The guy in the Bkk Post probably stuck on 20" alloys which screwed up his brake linings, what an idiot smashing his car!!!

Agreed. Silly thing to do. Plus, he set fire to the evidence. Not too smart, but I bet the windscreen was covered by his 1st class insurance anyway :o, and he got Toyota's attention and they will fix his breaks now, and advise him to put the standard wheels back on there (I think they are big enough as they are).

Currently averaging about 11-11.5 with the diesel, mostly out of town driving. Only had it a few weeks and loving it. Only two minor things I'd change would be making the rear seats removable and an automatic side-mirror retractor thingy (I'm techniacally minded as you can tell!) for when parked.

Was tempted to put in a DVD to keep Mrs-Meerkat-to-be and the Meerkitten happy on longer trips, but just bought a new ultralight laptop so just plug that into the power outlet instead, so they can watch movies and play games. Haven't had a bleat of "Are we there yet?" since! :o Not as neat as an integrated system of course...

Actually one thing that does annoy me is the Toyota dealers' habit of putting 40 psi in the tyres instead of the handbook-recommended 30 psi. I've read in one of these fora that they do it to increase fuel efficiency! It's ridiculous - not only does it make the ride less comfortable, it increases the risk of a debris burst (of course under-inflating them will increase the risk of a blow-out from increased temperatures). But the really worrying thing is that the maximum recommended tyre pressure printed on the tyre is around 34-36 (can't check - I'm in my other home at the moment, HK). Inflating a tyre over a manufacturer recommended maximum is asking for trouble - those limits are made for a reason.

There will be a Fortuner Pre-Runner, like the old Sportrider coming sooner or later. 2WD rear wheel drive. That should save on the gas a bit.

The guy in the Bkk Post probably stuck on 20" alloys which screwed up his brake linings, what an idiot smashing his car!!!

Might be a stupid question, but how does putting 20" alloys screw up brake linings? I have 20" wheels with half profile tyres on my Vigo and no problems (yet). Wheels and tyres are imports from the States.

I'm also interested in the answer to this. I was planning to put 22's on my Vigo.

Jeremy

Might be a stupid question, but how does putting 20" alloys screw up brake linings? I have 20" wheels with half profile tyres on my Vigo and no problems (yet). Wheels and tyres are imports from the States.

22" would fit, but you'd find a horrible noise coming from the wheel wells once you go into your first full stering lock, and it probably wouldn't turn all the way.

There's a Vigo here with massive 24" wheels and very low profile tyres on it. The wheels look nice but the same can't be said for the tyres. The whole chassis had to be lifted for them to fit properly.

The 20" wheels on mine, along with the tyres meant that the front end (steering end) had to be raised by approx 2". To ensure proper full lock, a very small piece of the front wheel arch had to be cut away on the inside. No rubbing problems at all and the tyres are pretty wide being 285s. Not sure what needs to done to accommodate 24" wheels - I'm sure a lot would depend on the profile of the tyres.

* Still nobody has answered my question. Just how does fitting above standard sized wheels/tyres screw up brake linings? :o

Vigo.JPG

Anyone who buys a big heavy vehicle with a gasoline engine has to expect that it will not get the same economy as a little Vios. The diesel option does considerably better but it is still a big heavy vehicle. My diesel Nissan is much bigger than most cars but the diesel gets over 13 kilometers per liter at around 100 KPH. I had an old gasoline powered Toyota pickup that got about 9 kilometers per liter. I wasn't too happy with that so I bought a diesel. :o

The topic is Fortuner fuel economy :D

Sorry, I can't believe I managed to post without mentioning that the Fortuner has crap fuel economy. Of course I should have included that. I believe that we are still on topic. I was talking about the Fortuner's poor economy inevitably leading to owners' flogging them off and getting more economical motors in the near future.

• 1 year later...
I've had my Fortuner for about a month and a half now, and according to the trip computer I'm only getting about 7.5 km per liter. The average speed so far is 44 kph. I drive mostly in town, so I guess the fuel economy is suffering due to this. Still, I think this is pretty <deleted> if you ask me! What about you other Fortuner owner out there. How's your fuel economy?

Cheers,

Tompa,

My wifes fortuner is also a month and a half old.

3 litre deisel, after 3500km returning an average of 10.8l/km ( based on actual fuel usage not the computer )

Driving mix of 1500 km on long trips and 2000 km around town.

Noticed on the computer upto 13km/l on the longer journeys and aroud 9 km/l around town.

Pleasantly surprised with it to date and no problems.

Previously owned prado 4.litre petrol averaged only 7.5km/l over 25000km driving only long journeys.