Fortuner Fuel Economy

Tompa

I have the Diesel 3.0L manual and have driven about 55k Kilometres.

I get 10kms per lit on short journeys and 11+ on long trips.

Not great but I do't think you can expect much more from a 3 litre engine :o

I would like to hear specific information regarding brake linings and 20" wheels with low profile tires. I have them and experience no adverse effects.

I get 10km for the litre and did my own calculations based on odometer readings and fuel fill ups. I have a diesel.

I wasn't aware that the third seat was not removable. I told the dealer to remove them and they sit in my storage until the day I sell, if ever.

Waiting for companions to do errands while I sit in air conditioned comfort certainly affects fuel per km mileage calculations.

As we used to say when I lived in California, if you can't afford a pool cleaning service, don't buy a pool, and in my view, the same reasoning applies to Fortuner buyers, who surely weren't that concerned for fuel economy when they made their decision to buy or they wouldn't have.

I’ve had my Fortuner for about a month and a half now, and according to the trip computer I’m only getting about 7.5 km per liter. The average speed so far is 44 kph. I drive mostly in town, so I guess the fuel economy is suffering due to this. Still, I think this is pretty <deleted> if you ask me! What about you other Fortuner owner out there. How’s your fuel economy?

Cheers,

Tompa,

Time for an update. My 2.7 gasoline Fortuner has just passed 64,000 kms and the computer (never reset) is indicating 10.3 kms/litre. That is confirmed by my own calculations.

The car is completely standard and I do a mix of long distance and local trips. Also I am light-footed!

I’ve just passed the 50,000 k mark (2.7 gasoline) and here’s my update.

My trip computer shows me 8.5 km/l on average. I do about 70% of my driving in the city (short trips, a lot of start and stops), and the rest are trips to BKK (from Chanthaburi). On these trips I normally drive around 140-150 kph. I still think my fuel economy sucks.

Tompa,

2.5 diesel is cheaper than the 2.7 petrol and probably would give better mileage.

From what I've read, the big problem with the Fortuner (apart from the fact that it is big and heavy and shaped like a brick and has massive big tires, and has 2 heavy and unusable back seats that don't fold out of the way properly, and is based on the Vigo chassis that is really just a ladder frame which is grand for a pickup) is that unlike the Vigo that it is based on the Fortuner doesn't have a 2wd mode. You're always in 4wd. There is a FC penalty to this sort of thing.

I love Fortuners anyway. I always try to get close to them when parking, because they block out the sun and protect my car. Just a pisser when you get stuck behind one though because you can't see anything except an oversized "T".

Say what you like mate, the Fortuner is the best car you can get in Thailand at the moment for a reasonable amount of money, best for the dodgy road conditions, in and out of Bangkok, best for the floods when they occur, can go almost anywhere in one (except certain underground car parks) best for blokes with a couple of kids, maids, in laws, overseas guests etc etc. Mine gives me around 12KLMs per litre gas mileage in my diesel, it'll outlast nearly any car on the road in Thailand in terms of reliability, you could run it a million KLMS without any major headaches (as will any Toyota diesel for that matter). Love my motor, plus I got a 80K stereo/DVD system that is fantastic.

Okay, first off, we can both say what we like, no problems with that.

best car.... reasonable amount of money.....

Okay, this is extremely subjective on both sides of that argument. You my feel that 1 million baht is a reasonable price to pay for a car, another might feel it's 2 million, another 500,000. Further, assuming that everyone agrees on 1 million being a reasonable price, there are many choices in that range, and people have all sorts of difference tastes and preferences. I am happy for you that you Love your Fortuner, and your 80K work of stereo and DVD system.

But if you do get a million kilometers out of it, great, however, I predict that your Fortuner will not be on the road 8-10 years from now. You'll have traded in for a hybrid or fuel-cell vehicle and your fortuner will have been used for scrap metal. But you might be able to transfer the DVD system to your new small car, assuming that DVDs are still available.

Guys,, you put million + for a car and now coplaning that your cars is thusty,, who cares if it's consume liter more tha other cars it's good you pay for it, so enjoy..

I ride in Zafira since 03,, i could care less how much it's consume,, i filled up when tank is empty and heading to higways to teasing pick up's and all the other so called fast cars,,, Baby drinks but hel_l it's fast.

poor ppl complan abt fuel prices...