Motoroil

ChangNoi1

With my old bike I noticed a significant different when changing the oil.

So when my new bike (Versys) will have his first oil change what kind of oil should be used?

Most times I see here (Thailand) 10w40 but I think a 20w50 might be better. What do you think?

Synthetic or not? What brand name?

Chang Noi

The Kawasaki Versys uses SAE 10W-40, and, my advice is to buy the best motorcycle engine oil you can buy... Especially in the beginning the better the engine oil the better the engine will hold up for years.

And the engine holds 2.4 liters of oil... not forget that when buying oil...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Use the apropriot grade, as specified in your hand book for the ambiant outside temperatures for run in , then same grade synthetic. :)

Its a wet clutch, so you need a wet clutch oil, Jaso MA as I recall. Single most important spec for your engine, as a dry clutch oil will provide clutch slip.

Advanced synthetic oils are usually not wet clutch spec.

Shell has a good synthetic wet clutch oil at reasonable price

Huge amount of oil info for kwaker650 in ER6n and Ninja650 topics here in TV

Have a read of:

www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/oils1

Lots of info there, some of it rather surprising. The guy's done an awful lot of research on the subject and I've got no reason to doubt him. On the recommendation of the article I use Mobile 1 turbo diesel pick up 5W-40 in my cbr 150, it ticks all the right boxes (strangely enough) for bikes. Now it ticks over about 100rpm faster than before the change (no carb adjustments), which I assume is down to less friction. It's only approx.1600km old yet, but so far I'm very happy with it.

I was thinking about Motul 300V 4T or Motul 3100 Gold 4T (both 15w50) or Motol 1000 4T 20w50.

The Kawasaki dealer should have S4 15w50 100% Synthetic.

Will have a look to see what the Kawa-dealer in Pattaya has in stock.

Chang Noi

Have a read of:

www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/oils1

Lots of info there, some of it rather surprising. The guy's done an awful lot of research on the subject and I've got no reason to doubt him. On the recommendation of the article I use Mobile 1 turbo diesel pick up 5W-40 in my cbr 150, it ticks all the right boxes (strangely enough) for bikes. Now it ticks over about 100rpm faster than before the change (no carb adjustments), which I assume is down to less friction. It's only approx.1600km old yet, but so far I'm very happy with it.

turbo diesels and bikes have very similar requirements, high quality oil, low or no additives

have been looking for Motul oil but it still evades me lol, I'd be inclined to put a 15w50 or 20w50 FS if i could find some,for the moment the Mobil 1 is hard to beat

I get my Motul H-Tech 100 Full Synthetic Motor Oil from Red Baron and Dr Bike. Hope this helps!

Hi Guys,

I'll confess I don't really know much about motor oil and usually just buy the best stuff I can find.

In the case of my Kawasaki's I've trusted the recommendation of the service staff, but Kawasaki Rama 9 recently changed motor oil from Shell Advance VSX semi-synthetic to Shell Advance AX7 and after a couple of track days the new AX7 motor oil turned to sludge so I'm a bit concerned and wonder if you guys can offer any insight about the difference in these oils.

Here are pics for your reference:

ShellOilsSm.jpg

ShellOilsBackSm.jpg

I know it's hard to read, but the old Shell Advance VSX was rated API SJ, JASO MA while the new Shell Advance AX7 is rated API SL, JASO MA 2

I have no idea what the difference is between API SJ and API SL or between JASO MA and JASO MA 2

I want to go talk to Kawasaki about the change but want to know what I'm talking about before I go there.

Anyone know what the difference is between these oils?

Cheers!

Tony

Hi Guys,

I'll confess I don't really know much about motor oil and usually just buy the best stuff I can find.

In the case of my Kawasaki's I've trusted the recommendation of the service staff, but Kawasaki Rama 9 recently changed motor oil from Shell Advance VSX semi-synthetic to Shell Advance AX7 and after a couple of track days the new AX7 motor oil turned to sludge so I'm a bit concerned and wonder if you guys can offer any insight about the difference in these oils.

ShellOilsSm.jpg

ShellOilsBackSm.jpg

I know it's hard to read, but the old Shell Advance VSX was rated API SJ, JASO MA while the new Shell Advance AX7 is rated API SL, JASO MA 2

I have no idea what the difference is between API SJ and API SL or between JASO MA and JASO MA 2

I want to go talk to Kawasaki about the change but want to know what I'm talking about before I go there.

Cheers!

Tony

Thanks Tony for proving that there can be a big difference between oil A and oil B.

There seems to be a big difference between oil that is made for "wet clutches" or for "dry clutches".

But as both oil's u used are JASO MA I would think that can not be the difference.

See http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/motorcycle_oil_technical_facts.htm

Chang Noi

like i said before, mobil 1 is rated the best oil in the world, you really can't go wrong but in saying that I would like to put a 50 rated FS and mobil 1 only seem to do it for twin engines air cooled called 2T, motul is also an oil that rates right up there, several companies have reviewed all oils and molbil seems to be No1 each time

Hi Guys,

ShellOilsSm.jpg

ShellOilsBackSm.jpg

Cheers!

Tony

Thanks Tony for proving that there can be a big difference between oil A and oil B.

There seems to be a big difference between oil that is made for "wet clutches" or for "dry clutches".

But as both oil's u used are JASO MA I would think that can not be the difference.

See http://www.smartsynt...nical_facts.htm

Chang Noi

Cheers Chang Noi,

I've spent some time trying to find the answer on the internet but still haven't found a clear explanation of what the difference is between API SJ and API SL or between JASO MA and JASO MA 2...

Here's the only "difference" I can find between API SJ and API SL:

SLCurrent For 2004 and older automotive engines. SJCurrent For 2001 and older automotive engines

Based on my experience with the Shell Advance AX7 I think I'll be switching my Kawasakis to pure synthetic, either Motul , Mobil 1,or Shell Advance Ultra.

Ride On!

Tony

I've spent some time trying to find the answer on the internet but still haven't found a clear explanation of what the difference is between API SJ and API SL or between JASO MA and JASO MA 2...

Here's the only "difference" I can find between API SJ and API SL:

SLCurrent For 2004 and older automotive engines. SJCurrent For 2001 and older automotive engines

Based on my experience with the Shell Advance AX7 I think I'll be switching my Kawasakis to pure synthetic, either Motul , Mobil 1,or Shell Advance Ultra.

Ride On!

Tony

Hi Tony,

I ran Shell Advance Ultra in the Middle East fro years on my 04R1. Definitely a good oil and may change over to that as the Putoline was kind of convenient at the time but the specs seem good enough. Next oil change I may swap out to Shel Advance Ultra and see if it makes a difference on engine cooling and noise for my 999S.

Cheers,

Garry

Edited by Garry

the biggest challenge for providing motordycle oils are 2 fold

1. wet clutch, motorcycle oils do not contain friction modifiers which is why most oils designed for cars are unsuitable

2. It must serve as a gearbox oil also, this is the biggest difference, engine oil will be destroyed in a gearbox because it gets minced, it's a difference kind of wear to an engine, engine oil in a gearbox will be destroyed after about 500 miles, I have a good article that explaines everything I will try and find it and post here

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Edited by smedly

Today I checked what the Kawa dealer in Pattaya is using for oil replacements.

1. Motol HighTech 100 4T 10w40 100% Synthese API SL

2. Kawasaki S4 20w40 API SG

Accoording to the mechanic the Motul is better, but maybe they just make more profit on it.

No other engine-oils, I still think in a hot country like Thailand I would like to use 20w50 (which both Motol and Kawasaki have in their product-line).

Chang Noi