Thai Army Seeks Bt770 Billion To Buy Tanks, Guns And Bullet-Proof Jackets

webfact

Army seeks Bt770 bn to buy tanks, guns and bullet-proof jackets

By THE NATION

The Army is preparing to request a Bt770-billion budget to purchase new weapons and repair existing hardware as part of a Defence Ministry policy to modernise the military at an estimated cost of Bt1 trillion.

Under the Army's "Modernisation Plan: Vision 2020", Bt497 billion is earmarked for the purchase of new armoured tanks to replace the 200 vintage American-made M-41 tanks unit-by-unit as well as 100 sniper rifles for special operations units, 13,300 bulletproof jackets and 23,000 jackets for units operating in the deep South.

The remaining Bt273 billion is for "low-priority" projects such as the repair of 100 British-made Scorpion light tanks out of the 153 in the fleet, the repair of helicopters of various models from a total of 264, and the repair of 63 aircraft. The repairs include spare parts.

The specifications for the replacement tank include a ready-for-combat weight ranging from 40-56 tonnes, an operational range of 500 kilometres and a minimum terrain speed of 55 kilometres per hour.

The minimum calibre of the main cannon is 120 millimetres, with a stabiliser and a computerised fire-control system. It must still be in production and used by the army of the country where it is manufactured, an Army source said.

Another "low-priority" project is the gradual replacement of bulletproof vests at the annual rate of 8,000 for a total of 40,000 in the entire Armed Forces inventory. The vests have an average service life of five years.

In the Army's written proposal, a reason cited for the request is "increasing tensions along the Thai and Cambodian border, coupled with the extensive acquisition of new main battle tanks by neighbouring countries, both to the east and the west".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-02

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to be a spoil sport, but surely 770 billion baht would be much better spent alieviating poverty (micro finance schemes and adult vocational training) and upgrading the school facilities (imagine how many teachers that could train to alleviate the chronic overcrowding) and as has been highlighted by recent news articles fixing the financially crippled state run hospitals in Thailand.

The army has a <deleted> cheek to ask the Thai taxpayer to fund this. This request should be met with the response - go blow it out your arse!!!! :annoyed:

Let's see if they get it, if not, i suspect tanks will be rolling outside government house with a protest of there own.whistling.gif

For starters get rid of 2000 generals/or equiv. U.K. has 200 ish--Thai 2200. same army numbers (estim) what are they doing with their time ???? I would agree to the purchace of sniper rifles, aircraft parts to repair, SOME tank replacements, equipment to help the South problem. Do these jackets last only 5 years, maybe if nobody takes care. The Thai thinking is not to take care of anything, Home painting and maintainence,motor bikes, roads, farrangs. Look at the situation with a hundred aircraft unflyable, not repaired before WHY,....some of the generals wages saved will in 1 year will pay for a lot of this stuff--make em wait in line --other more important things have to be paid for first.

Not wanting to be a spoil sport, but surely 770 billion baht would be much better spent alieviating poverty (micro finance schemes and adult vocational training) and upgrading the school facilities (imagine how many teachers that could train to alleviate the chronic overcrowding) and as has been highlighted by recent news articles fixing the financially crippled state run hospitals in Thailand.

The army has a <deleted> cheek to ask the Thai taxpayer to fund this. This request should be met with the response - go blow it out your arse!!!! :annoyed:

Yep. I see a lot of western countries doing just that. NOT.

EVERY country spends sh!t loads of money on military and not enough alleviating poverty.

Yes just like the taxpayers of other countries have to pay for thier own defence. Maybe Thailand should ask England or Australia or whoever to fund thier defence force. Yes a bloody cheeky request ;) Maybe we can have a whip around to help them out.

Yes just like the taxpayers of other countries have to pay for thier own defence. Maybe Thailand should ask England or Australia or whoever to fund thier defence force. Yes a bloody cheeky request ;) Maybe we can have a whip around to help them out.

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia all have communist governments. You know why Thailand still has a monarchy. George, you know who pays for Thailand's defense. You know who had 50,000 troops stationed in Thailand recently and built the East coast industrial ports. Now you are encouraging the Yanks to get involved again?

I presume this is in addition to their already existing spending? Which would make the total spend 170bn + approx another 80bn per year for the next 10 years approx?

There is a very lovely graphic I have found from the other paper which obviously I can't link here.

2010 spending

Education - 388bn

interior - 231 bn

Finance - 209 bn

Public Health - 88.3bn

Defence - 170 bn

Transport - 76bn

Agriculture 76 bn

So add another 70 to the Defence, seems quite a considerable increase.

EVERY country spends sh!t loads of money on military and not enough alleviating poverty.

Every time since 1930 when anyone has tried to deny the military a new toy they had a coup. Some people even tried to take over appointing generals! For shame. Just give them their toys and shut up or the tanks roll again.

Perhaps the Defence Ministry should start selling some of the 2 gazillion generals on ebay to raise some funds for those projected purchases. I am sure quite a few people around the world would love to display a Thai army general on their mantelpiece; something with which to impress visitors and house guests: "Look what I recently got myself, a real Thai general!"

I presume this is in addition to their already existing spending? Which would make the total spend 170bn + approx another 80bn per year for the next 10 years approx?

There is a very lovely graphic I have found from the other paper which obviously I can't link here.

2010 spending

Education - 388bn

interior - 231 bn

Finance - 209 bn

Public Health - 88.3bn

Defence - 170 bn

Transport - 76bn

Agriculture 76 bn

Education is not like defense. Country A gives Country B 1 dollar for defense spending provided country B spends it buying defense supplies from country A.

2010 spending

Education - 388bn

interior - 231 bn

Finance - 209 bn

Public Health - 88.3bn

Defence - 170 bn

Transport - 76bn

Agriculture 76 bn

Education is not like defense. Country A gives Country B 1 dollar for defense spending provided country B spends it buying defense supplies from country A.

I don't somehow believe that the entirety of Thailand Defense spend is funded by overseas funding.

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia all have communist governments. You know why Thailand still has a monarchy. George, you know who pays for Thailand's defense. You know who had 50,000 troops stationed in Thailand recently and built the East coast industrial ports. Now you are encouraging the Yanks to get involved again?

I'm sorry I didn't know they saved Thailand from communisism, pay the Thai Military bill or built the Thai East coast Industry. I am not encouraging them to return heaven forbid. I didn't even mention them in my post.

I've got a company in UK, highly regarding in military supplies. My new product, the GT-200 bullet proof vest sell for 1.2 million baht a piece. Anyone wanting to take up an agency at 25% commission please contact at www.imaconmanfromessex.co.uk

Specifications:

Thread: Bullet deflecting kevlar fibre from Coats Barber

Piping: gun steel coloured velvet plush

Zipper: the super explosion proof YKK AK 47 special

Body: Paper machete

Generous commission paid to any Army purchase officers willing to take bribes for contracts. Obviously the Paper Machete costs will go up due the negotiations, End cost per unit likely to be closer to 2 million baht.

For a country that has historically shirked at the possiblity of going into battle they certainly love stocking up on useless weaponary ie blimps and tanks for use in the jungle???? As soon as the japs invaded in 1940 the thai army immediately surrended without firing a single bullet. Useless!!The only reason the nation of Thailand still exists is because the farang armies pushed out the japs. There must be a gaggle of generals retiring soon .30% commissions on the way no doubt

There is no logic for such a wild purchase, sure some things make sense but Tanks, come on there is no need for that level of support. I like the idea of retiring 2200 generals for maybe 200 of them, that would make sense, there is no need for any Army to have that many generals. Puchasing parts and/or aircraft to make pilots safer and more modern sure a good purchase, bullet proof vests, again, I can go along fine with that. But there are far more trying issues in Thailand that the military spending this crazy amount of money.I do not hold out much hope though that clearer heads will prevail, I suspect that the military will get what the military wants. The Reds and the Yellows don't even have the clout to change this one, it is a foregone conclusion I'm afraid, they will get the money and then the tanks, just like the airship and the aircraft carrier, which are both so vital to our protection.C

Not anymore. Sweden, The UK, Australia & Canada have all announced their intentions of curtailing spending. The discussion is starting in the USA.

Thailand needs to freeze its budget. As the Middle East simmers, the Chinese are expending billions of Euros, $US securing their energy supplies. This will cause a significant ripple. Now toss in the rising cost of living and especially the cost of basic food supplies in Thailand. These are seeds of unrest. It's not political theories or Thaksin vs. Abhisit vs PAD vs. UDD. When the people cannot afford fuel or food they choose protests. Learn from Tunisia,,Egypt & Jordan. Thailand still is subject to a kleptocracy that may change their public allegiances but still are the same old group of priviliged families profiting from the populace.

Look at some of the planned expenditures. For example, 13,300 bulletproof jackets. There are projectile resistant products on the market, but it is highly unlikely that Thailand will disburse the funds to pay for the quality jackets, particularly since the indivdual plates that are resistant cost about US$350 each (although wikipedia says they cost US$500.) The price list for a basic intereceptor type outfit provided to US battle personnel is about US$2,000. Even if a bulk purchase discount is allowed and the price drops to US1500. that's at least 45,000 baht per basic jacket or almost 600million baht just for those jackets. Does anyone believe that proper jackets will be purchased and not shoddy ripoffs? Does anyone remember the bomb detector fiasco?

What's needed are high impact resistant jackets and pants and those cost significantly more than the basic jackets. This is what the frontline Canadian and US troops use in Afghanistan and it saves lives.

Soldiers die in the south due to IEDs not bullets. Again, someone's either making an incorrect announcement or the generals overseeing procurement may have misjudged.

Not anymore. Sweden, The UK, Australia & Canada have all announced their intentions of curtailing spending. The discussion is starting in the USA.

Thailand needs to freeze its budget. As the Middle East simmers, the Chinese are expending billions of Euros, $US securing their energy supplies. This will cause a significant ripple. Now toss in the rising cost of living and especially the cost of basic food supplies in Thailand. These are seeds of unrest. It's not political theories or Thaksin vs. Abhisit vs PAD vs. UDD. When the people cannot afford fuel or food they choose protests. Learn from Tunisia,,Egypt & Jordan. Thailand still is subject to a kleptocracy that may change their public allegiances but still are the same old group of priviliged families profiting from the populace.

Look at some of the planned expenditures. For example, 13,300 bulletproof jackets. There are projectile resistant products on the market, but it is highly unlikely that Thailand will disburse the funds to pay for the quality jackets, particularly since the indivdual plates that are resistant cost about US$350 each (although wikipedia says they cost US$500.) The price list for a basic intereceptor type outfit provided to US battle personnel is about US$2,000. Even if a bulk purchase discount is allowed and the price drops to US1500. that's at least 45,000 baht per basic jacket or almost 600million baht just for those jackets. Does anyone believe that proper jackets will be purchased and not shoddy ripoffs? Does anyone remember the bomb detector fiasco?

What's needed are high impact resistant jackets and pants and those cost significantly more than the basic jackets. This is what the frontline Canadian and US troops use in Afghanistan and it saves lives.

Soldiers die in the south due to IEDs not bullets. Again, someone's either making an incorrect announcement or the generals overseeing procurement may have misjudged.

Guess what - there is only ONE SUPPLIER of bulletproof vests and helmets to the ARMY. The quality is poor because they use Chinese-made material co cut cost although they always go for full budget... (they mix KEVLAR with NYLON for the helmets so the quality is s%$(t) The NAVY is buying their vests for below $1,000 / piece with top international quality and of course with fierce competition from many suppliers that brings the price to normal levels ...

Edited by nowork114

What do you call a country that abandons military spending and spends the money on "poverty alleviation"? A prime target perhaps? But Thailand has no worries, it has such nice peace-loving neighbours.

The figures are large, but the military soaks up otherwise unemployed, educates a pool of tradesmen, and provides economic stimulus around the bases and in manufacturing.

"Bullet-proof" vests make the troops feel better, even if they are the cheap ones. The asian attitude to troop losses is vastly different to that of western countries; let's just say it worked in Viet Nam.

Tanks are useless in jungle, but the last time I was up Isaan, I didn't see much jungle. A lot of dismal dusty plains, otherwise known as tank country. The tank specs quoted seem about right to me, but I'm no expert.

Many countries have unfortunate military purchase decisions. Thailand's carrier is a fine example. For another, read today's SMH - 2 supply ships bought 2nd-hand from the yanks so full of rust they look like being scrapped (thank you friend and ally) and $40m worth of landing craft that won't fit in the bloody things even if they are not scrapped. Oh, and a heap of helicopters with dodgy engines, lack of spares and well overdue on delivery.

Fully agree the Thai military is command top heavy. Problem is, you retire them early and they get elected, or turn into PAD supporters, or suck up to deposed PMs.

What do you call a country that abandons military spending and spends the money on "poverty alleviation"? A prime target perhaps? But Thailand has no worries, it has such nice peace-loving neighbours.

The figures are large, but the military soaks up otherwise unemployed, educates a pool of tradesmen, and provides economic stimulus around the bases and in manufacturing.

"Bullet-proof" vests make the troops feel better, even if they are the cheap ones. The asian attitude to troop losses is vastly different to that of western countries; let's just say it worked in Viet Nam.

Tanks are useless in jungle, but the last time I was up Isaan, I didn't see much jungle. A lot of dismal dusty plains, otherwise known as tank country. The tank specs quoted seem about right to me, but I'm no expert.

Many countries have unfortunate military purchase decisions. Thailand's carrier is a fine example. For another, read today's SMH - 2 supply ships bought 2nd-hand from the yanks so full of rust they look like being scrapped (thank you friend and ally) and $40m worth of landing craft that won't fit in the bloody things even if they are not scrapped. Oh, and a heap of helicopters with dodgy engines, lack of spares and well overdue on delivery.

Fully agree the Thai military is command top heavy. Problem is, you retire them early and they get elected, or turn into PAD supporters, or suck up to deposed PMs.

Stop making sense Mick, the TVers might lynch you.

Most 3rd world armed forces exist primarily to suppress and control their own countries/populaces. Thailand is no exception. The military runs the country here - and has done since 1932. Tanks, sniper-rifles and bulletproof vests are great for controlling and intimidating the common people of Thailand, so it makes sense that those items are on the list. "Isaan is prime tank-country" indeed... Yes, Cambodia is just over the border from Isaan, but Thailand is not interested in a real war with Cambodia - the current tension is just another tool for the military to get what it wants: more money, power and control.

Edited by licentiapoetica

Most 3rd world armed forces exist primarily to suppress and control their own countries/populaces. Thailand is no exception. The military runs the country here - and have done since 1932. Tanks, sniper-rifles and bulletproof vests are great for controlling and intimidating the common people of Thailand, so it makes sense that those items are on the list. "Isaan is prime tank-country" indeed... Yes, Cambodia is just over the border from Isaan, but Thailand is not interested in a real war with Cambodia - the current tension is just another tool for the military to get what it wants: more money, power and control.

Poetic license indeed....:rolleyes:

Most 3rd world armed forces exist primarily to suppress and control their own countries/populaces. Thailand is no exception. The military runs the country here - and have done since 1932. Tanks, sniper-rifles and bulletproof vests are great for controlling and intimidating the common people of Thailand, so it makes sense that those items are on the list. "Isaan is prime tank-country" indeed... Yes, Cambodia is just over the border from Isaan, but Thailand is not interested in a real war with Cambodia - the current tension is just another tool for the military to get what it wants: more money, power and control.

Poetic license indeed....:rolleyes:

Pearls and swine come to mind. :rolleyes:

For a country that has historically shirked at the possiblity of going into battle they certainly love stocking up on useless weaponary ie blimps and tanks for use in the jungle???? As soon as the japs invaded in 1940 the thai army immediately surrended without firing a single bullet. Useless!!The only reason the nation of Thailand still exists is because the farang armies pushed out the japs. There must be a gaggle of generals retiring soon .30% commissions on the way no doubt

I fought with Thai troops in Laos and Vietnam. Good soldiers, especially under fire. I have a Thai friend who lost his foot in East Timor. Tell him about war. The Thais won the war against France on the ground in 1940. Thai troops fired quite a few shots at the Japanese during WW II and might have altered the course of the war if they were not sold out by the Politicians of the time. Also in the interest of historical accuracy I would put Atomic bomb instead of Farang armies as the Japanese troops were not attacked in Thailand by any Farang army. The Japanese surrendered to the Americans after the second atomic bomb was dropped. The British occupied Thailand and repatriated the Japanese to Japan. Yes Thailand was occupied by a colonial power, 1941. So much for that myth eh?

I've got a company in UK, highly regarding in military supplies. My new product, the GT-200 bullet proof vest sell for 1.2 million baht a piece. Anyone wanting to take up an agency at 25% commission please contact at www.imaconmanfromessex.co.uk

Specifications:

Thread: Bullet deflecting kevlar fibre from Coats Barber

Piping: gun steel coloured velvet plush

Zipper: the super explosion proof YKK AK 47 special

Body: Paper machete

Generous commission paid to any Army purchase officers willing to take bribes for contracts. Obviously the Paper Machete costs will go up due the negotiations, End cost per unit likely to be closer to 2 million baht.

HAHAHAHA .. great web-site! .. wish you all the best with the business especially that bullet proof vests don't kill .. at least are not known to do that :D

The Japanese surrendered to the Americans after the second atomic bomb was dropped. The British occupied Thailand and repatriated the Japanese to Japan. Yes Thailand was occupied by a colonial power, 1941. So much for that myth eh?

Hi mark45y

Thailand was allied with Japan in WW2!!. Thailand, immediatly prior to -- and during -- the war had anexed territories from both Britain and France. Whilst British forces did briefly take control of Thailand -- it is a stretch to describe it as an "occupation" ---- and most certainly not a colonization.

IN 1941 limited fighting had broken out between Thai and French forces along Thailand's eastern frontier. Military stalemate ensued with the Thais dominant on land and the French dominant at sea. Japan interceded with the Vichy regime in France on behalf of Thailand. France agreed in March 1941 to cede 54,000 square kilometers of Laotian territory west of the Mekong and most of the Cambodian province of Battambang to Thailand. Thailand looked very favorably upon Japan after to this.

Whilst Japanese forces did invade Thailand's territory on December 8, 1941 --- after only some 2 hours Prime Minister Phibunsongkhram, ordered the cessation of all resistance against the Japanese. On December 21, 1941, a military alliance with Japan was signed and Thailand declared war on Britain and the United States.

Cynics suggest this was done to enable Thailand to seek "revenge" on Burma for long past military indignities burned forever into the Thai psyche.

Less than 5 months later Thailand invaded Burma (a British colony) and annexed an area of Burma containing the Shan States and Kengtung.

These areas were ceded back to Burma, in 1946.