Ta Waen Beach On Koh Larn

thaibeachlovers

Recently thought I'd try out Koh Larn for a day out by the beach. Oh my goodness, that was a mistake!

I arrived at the ferry pier, a disintergrating, badly designed and shoddily built concrete structure suurounded by unsightly rusting abandoned piles. Nearby were a lot of rental places- what a great holiday that would be, trying to relax with the roar of the frequent ferries and other boats so near!

I then walked through the village, having to almost fight off the multitude of m'cycle touts.

The village itself consisted of too narrow streets with no pavements and decrepit rusting corrugated iron shacks amidst the usual ugly concrete buildings. Despite the streets being crowded with tourists, m'cycles with sidecars and cars raced along with no consideration for safety. Keen to get away from the unsightly debris of household and uncollected rubbish, I headed over the hill to Ta Waen beach on the narrow road, trying to avoid maniac baht bus drivers driving dangerously at reckless speed and the usual assortment of shirtless, flip flop wearing farang youths riding motorcycles for the first time.

At the top of the hill, a steep staircase led down to the beach. It doesn't appear to have been maintained or cleaned since it was constructed.

Once on the beach I decided to head over to Tonglang beach. To get there, one has to negotiate a decrepit, collapsing walkway. Eventually that turns into a concrete bridge structure around the headland, However, as the concrete platforms have broken and fallen into the water, it is not possible to continue without clambering over the dangerous rocks, so I turned back, and walked to the other end of Ta Waen.

To get there, I had to walk along a narrow, congested walkway, between end to end tacky souvenier shops and restaurants,some of which are huge barns for the hundreds of Asian package tourists, and end to end beach umbrellas and deck chairs. All the while, there was the deafening roar of speedboats and jet skiis. Relaxing- NOT.

Eventually, I reached the new pier, which was the only decent structure I'd seen since arriving on Koh Larn. I couldn't wait to get out of the hell hole, so I headed off to the ferry back to Pattaya.

Although I didn't want to be on Koh Larn any longer than I had to be, so I didn't check it out, I noticed a walkway leading from the pier to a small beach around the rocky headland. As that beach had a rock retaining wall onto the water, there is nowhere for boats or jet skiis, and as it has some open space, it might actually be a nice place to go for a day out. One can get a ferry to Ta Waen, and then go directly to that beach, without being assaulted by the horror of Ta Waen.

One day, if I have absolutely nothing better to do, I might check it out.

I can't imagine anyone that has been to Koh Pangan, or even Koh Samui, let alone the less developed islands of Thailand's south being in any way satisfied with Koh Larn, which must surely stand as an example of everything that is bad about tourist Thailand.

Sad....

I fear it will never get any better. There was a previous posting on here about Koh Larn about 6 - 7 months ago. I had not long been there and commented on the amount rubbish on the beaches and it sounds worse than ever.

I took a ferry boat that was so overloaded it was a disaster waiting to happen. You then have to transfer to a long narrow "skiff" that runs you directly to the crap laden beaches.

Romantlcally called a Long Tailed Boat.

I beg to differ. Its a rotten hulk of re-claimed timber planks cobbled together with a stinking old oily leaky Diesel engine stuck on the back end. The only thing that stops them all tipping over is the fact the sea state in the Gulf of Siam is so benign...

Several years ago I went on a trip organised by Thai friends by a speed boat hired from Jomtien Beach.....we approached a nice deserted quiet little beach....just short of the rollers we pulled off and headed off round to an overcrowded mess. I asked why ? The reply.

Too quiet. Not enough people. .....!!!!

Thai analogy - if its deserted it cannot be any good...mobbed to hell and gone then it must be good every one else is there.....

Coral Island..what does that picture in your mind ?.....not what you get on Koh Larn.....

Sad....

I fear it will never get any better. There was a previous posting on here about Koh Larn about 6 - 7 months ago. I had not long been there and commented on the amount rubbish on the beaches and it sounds worse than ever.

I took a ferry boat that was so overloaded it was a disaster waiting to happen. You then have to transfer to a long narrow "skiff" that runs you directly to the crap laden beaches.

Romantlcally called a Long Tailed Boat.

I beg to differ. Its a rotten hulk of re-claimed timber planks cobbled together with a stinking old oily leaky Diesel engine stuck on the back end. The only thing that stops them all tipping over is the fact the sea state in the Gulf of Siam is so benign...

Several years ago I went on a trip organised by Thai friends by a speed boat hired from Jomtien Beach.....we approached a nice deserted quiet little beach....just short of the rollers we pulled off and headed off round to an overcrowded mess. I asked why ? The reply.

Too quiet. Not enough people. .....!!!!

Thai analogy - if its deserted it cannot be any good...mobbed to hell and gone then it must be good every one else is there.....

Coral Island..what does that picture in your mind ?.....not what you get on Koh Larn.....

I think you must have taken the rip off 150 baht ferry then. I did that a long time ago, and was not happy about any of it, so this time thought I'd try the 30 baht ferry, walk over to Ta Waen and take the 30 baht ferry back from there, as didn't want to have to come back to the village pier. Can't do that from the other beaches as no piers.

Agreed about the ferry being overloaded. Now I know where all the Russians go in the daytime!

There were not enough life jackets for everyone, and a lot were in very poor repair. If the ferry sank, there would no doubt be several deaths, with the accompanying whitewash investigation that would probably say it was the passenger's own fault for dying!

I doubt that there can be any sort of regulation of these ferries or of the speedboats. Tourists in Thailand undoubtedly rely on luck to survive, just as we all do on the dangerous, pavementless streets of Pattaya.

Ko Larn is not too bad but over crowded for me .When i am in Pattaya and i want a clean beach i drive down with the family to a little gem of a beach right by Satahip navel base .You pay just B20 and the water is very clean .They also have a very good restaurant at cheap prices .Deck chairs at normal B30 prices also .

Edited by Thaifan2

Safety equipment on the ferry to Samui in 2008

Unfortunately my connection is too slow to enlarge the picture, but on all my ferry trips in LOS, I've never seen one of those that I thought would actually work. Usually they are painted shut, and I've never seen an inspection certificate!

Safety equipment on the ferry to Samui in 2008

Unfortunately my connection is too slow to enlarge the picture, but on all my ferry trips in LOS, I've never seen one of those that I thought would actually work. Usually they are painted shut, and I've never seen an inspection certificate!

It states next service 07/2006

At the time 2 years overdue!

Edited by kevkev1888