Mayonnaise

luther

Heinz at makro and Friendship (cheaper at the latter !)

i never heard of Friendship,not as a retail place that is.

what is it then and

where would i find it?

Sorry - just realised that I posted this on the CM forum.

Friendship (a Chinese owned supermarket that excels in Farang food/drink at decent prices) is in Pattaya - still, useful information for those in that area.:rolleyes:

In the past week I checked Tesco north, Carrefour central and Rimping north and no Kraft Mayonnaise there for the past two weeks. Asked Rimping to order for me and call me. Phone hasn't rung. I think all the outlets rely on a middleman importer who has dropped the ball. The overall shortage has exhausted any back up supply.

In desperation I bought Kraft Sandwich Spread and still harbor a lifetime dislike for the flavor. Heinz hot dog relish works if you like sweet pickle and mustard.

Another favorite has been lost, Ben and Jerry Ice Cream, once it was bought out by Unilever.

To Thailand credit, Australia doesn't have Kraft Mayonnaise at all but does have a Whole Egg Mayonnaise in large jars but since it is an import item, it is pricey.

Rimping Meechok put out 6 small bottles of Best Foods yesterday (4 were left; I bought 2). They weren't there the day before. I guess supplies are tight!

LOL.. :thumbsup:

Take a look at the Best Foods (and other decent brands') supply at Makro.. Whole piles of wholesale sized bags. :roleyes:

Sorry guys, but when you are talking about Best Food, Kraft, Heinz, you are not talking about mayonnaise but about disgusting so-called sauce.

You can find reasonably good mayonnaise in Carrefour (brand name=Carrefour) or make it yourself...At least, it is easy to find good and very good mustard in Chiang Mai to make it!

Sorry guys, but when you are talking about Best Food, Kraft, Heinz, you are not talking about mayonnaise but about disgusting so-called sauce.

You can find reasonably good mayonnaise in Carrefour (brand name=Carrefour) or make it yourself...At least, it is easy to find good and very good mustard in Chiang Mai to make it!

I was talking about mayo for sure. The reason I remember is because I DON'T buy Kraft, as it's full of crap ingredients, and I usually some odd thai brand (without sugar), and one day they didn't have it, and I was inspecting shelves for other brands. There were 2 others, one of them was Kraft.

I noticed it too, there's a mayo shortage. :(

Best Foods is the best. Kraft or Heinz sold here is very sweet. Having said that, there has not been any low-fat Best Foods anywhere in C.M. for about 2 months now. Now, they are out of the regular Best Foods (high-fat) everywhere. :huh:

ewww gross...Best Foods taste like chemicals !

I like the Japanese mayonnaise, in the uniquely shaped bottle with the baby on it. Not sweet at all and it has real egg flavour too.

You can buy at Rimping et al.

In the picture is the 500g bottle, the best value, but smaller bottles are also available.

Keeps in the fridge for ages.

There is a Thai version, same looking, same good taste.

Enjoy!

Kewpie ! good stuff !

I typically only make as much as needed. Or the least possible. Only use lemon, lime came out really weird :bah:. Sometimes I add a little english mustard powder, give it a little bite.

Yep, I always add a touch of "Moutarde de Dijon", yummy. ;)

• 1 year later...

I like the Japanese mayonnaise, in the uniquely shaped bottle with the baby on it. Not sweet at all and it has real egg flavour too.

In the picture is the 500g bottle, the best value, but smaller bottles are also available.

Enjoy!

I agree with the above. Kewpie mayo is very similar to Hellman's of yesteryear, before they added all the sugar.

Mayonnaise Yield: 1 Servings 1 c Salad oil 1 Egg -=OR=- 2 Egg yolks 2 tb Lemon juice -=OR=- 2 tb Vinegar Salt and pepper Paprika Beat egg or egg yolks with a rotary beater until slightly thick; add 1 teaspoon oil at a time beating well after each addition, until 1/3 cup has been added. Add a few drops lemon or vinegar. The mixture should be quite thick and perfectly smooth. If it isn't you added the oil too quick or didn't beat it enough. Continue to add the oil and acid alternately until it's used up. Add seasonings to taste. Store covered in the refrigerator.

add some dijon

Enjoy!

Thats the Kewpie brand, sometimes i use the salad cream for sandwiches.

The homemade one from Jo's bakery in Ban Nam Prae in Hang Dong (not easy to find) is pretty good and without sugar. Jo does it only on request. I think it's 400 g for around 60 Baht. Always available are his homemade mustard and pickled gerkins. His bread is good as well (baking twice a week,Tue/Fr). He sells imported cheese at a reasonable price too. Open only from 13:00, closed on Monday.

Home made always better than store bought. Have made it all my life.

But if you use fresh eggs, and are whisking in oil to emulsify- be aware the storage life is next to nil.

As in, use it immediately or refrigerate for a day or 2, max.

Raw eggs, especially in Thailand, are salmonella sources.

Everyone has different tastes, so my observation on store bought mayo might be disagreed with vehemently by some.

If you are buying the Thai brand mayos, you might not be aware there are several alternatives that are not loaded with sugar. Or even have almost no sweetening at all.

My top pick is Kewpie. Made under licence in LOS, it is a Japanese style mayo. Very creamy texture, almost no sweetening. A plethora of sushi chefs worldwide use this mayo for baked crab/clams in abalone shell, etc.

Kraft from Australia a distant 2nd. It has that gelatinous texture like Best Foods/Hellmans in the US. Really rather gross.

There is no 3rd- all the rest are simply unpalatable industrial swill IMO.