Mayonnaise

luther

Mayonnaise Yield: 1 Servings 1 c Salad oil 1 Egg -=OR=- 2 Egg yolks 2 tb Lemon juice -=OR=- 2 tb Vinegar Salt and pepper Paprika Beat egg or egg yolks with a rotary beater until slightly thick; add 1 teaspoon oil at a time beating well after each addition, until 1/3 cup has been added. Add a few drops lemon or vinegar. The mixture should be quite thick and perfectly smooth. If it isn't you added the oil too quick or didn't beat it enough. Continue to add the oil and acid alternately until it's used up. Add seasonings to taste. Store covered in the refrigerator.

I noticed it too, there's a mayo shortage. :(

Best Foods is the best. Kraft or Heinz sold here is very sweet. Having said that, there has not been any low-fat Best Foods anywhere in C.M. for about 2 months now. Now, they are out of the regular Best Foods (high-fat) everywhere. :huh:

I noticed it too, there's a mayo shortage. :(

Best Foods is the best. Kraft or Heinz sold here is very sweet. Having said that, there has not been any low-fat Best Foods anywhere in C.M. for about 2 months now. Now, they are out of the regular Best Foods (high-fat) everywhere. :huh:

There goes the high blood pressure and cholesterol count.:(

We use REAL mayo, sold in 1 liter plastic bags at Makro/Tesco etc.

This one has the lowest amount of suger, 3.8% which is more to my western liking.

Most of the other have 28% sugar !!!! blink.gifsick.gif

Try it.

Agreed; this is the best around and Makro is the cheapest too but, do they have any? Haven't looked since these 'shortages' began.

Just checked my jar of Kraft "Mayo", and it says less than 2% sugar. Also says, "real mayonnaise"

It's ok - not sweet

Totally agree. Its the least sweet Mayo I've tasted. Bears no relation to the sweet Thai concoctions. Only 8% satuated fat and no trans fats. Sounds healthy to me. Might do with a bit more sugar.cool.gif

Mayonnaise Yield: 1 Servings 1 c Salad oil 1 Egg -=OR=- 2 Egg yolks 2 tb Lemon juice -=OR=- 2 tb Vinegar Salt and pepper Paprika Beat egg or egg yolks with a rotary beater until slightly thick; add 1 teaspoon oil at a time beating well after each addition, until 1/3 cup has been added. Add a few drops lemon or vinegar. The mixture should be quite thick and perfectly smooth. If it isn't you added the oil too quick or didn't beat it enough. Continue to add the oil and acid alternately until it's used up. Add seasonings to taste. Store covered in the refrigerator.

I have used this mixture before and it came out pretty good. One thing to keep in mind is that unlike Kraft or other commercially made mayo, the home made has no chemicals to preserve it and although that may be healthier it will only be safe to eat for about a week.

As pointed out, Kraft mayo is imported and I, too, have not been able to find it recently. The local mayo tastes different, but is OK.

I have found that I have to be very careful and read the content label as Best Foods has a baking mayo in an almost identical bag that does have the 28% or so sugar. I knew not to get salad cream but assumed (once and only once) that mayo was mayo. When I got home with baking mayo ...... screwed up my whole day plus I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I have learned that if it says BAKING, don't buy it.

You'll find real French mayonnaise at Carrefour under Carrefour brand and probably et Villa and Tops under other brands.

Best Food, Kraft, Heinz contain less sugar than the Thai ones but they are sweet as well. Am I wrong?

I just bought Best Foods mayo at Carrefours a few days ago. They also sell Heinz low-fat mayo, but I don't like it personally. I also buy Best Foods mayo at small Tesco store in Maejo, but they only have small jars. What I really hate is the stuff they call salad cream.

Is this the one next to 7/11?

I like the Japanese mayonnaise, in the uniquely shaped bottle with the baby on it. Not sweet at all and it has real egg flavour too.

You can buy at Rimping et al.

In the picture is the 500g bottle, the best value, but smaller bottles are also available.

Keeps in the fridge for ages.

There is a Thai version, same looking, same good taste.

Enjoy!

post-74025-0-44936800-1296835198_thumb.j

post-74025-0-55334300-1296835211_thumb.j

I like the Japanese mayonnaise, in the uniquely shaped bottle with the baby on it. Not sweet at all and it has real egg flavour too.

I like the taste of Japanese mayo, but I am pretty sure it is LOADED with MSG...

I bought 1 of the small jars of Best Foods mayo at Rimping yesterday. I am unfortunately addicted to mayo and I know it is not healthy. I put it on everything, even Thai food like yam and gaing faktong. This makes family sick to watch, but I tell them if I have to watch them put ketchup on pizza, and corn in ice cream, they can handle this.

I have used this mixture before and it came out pretty good. One thing to keep in mind is that unlike Kraft or other commercially made mayo, the home made has no chemicals to preserve it and although that may be healthier it will only be safe to eat for about a week.

I typically only make as much as needed. Or the least possible. Only use lemon, lime came out really weird :bah:. Sometimes I add a little english mustard powder, give it a little bite.