Negative Part Of Ed Visa ?

i signed up with the school, so now i can look forward to improove my thai, and have less headaches with visa runs.

i wanted to study thai sooner or later, but the schools in my area wass about double price, and offered no visa, so this option seems allright.

Jesper

I have an ED visa with Wallen and I think it is the best Visa you can get in Thailand.

- I work from Skype for my lessons (2h on Wednesday, 2 hours on Friday), so basically you can learn anywhere as soon as you have a good internet connection

- I do not have the go out from Thailand for 14 months or so.

- costs 25.000 / year plus 1900 every quarter. (how much you will pay every 2 months to go to the border and come back?)

- you learn Thai.

The only problems are:

- you need to be close to a School, because they do you immigration papers. I am in Pattaya, but could be in Chiang May or BK with Wallen.

- you have to attend to the lessons because the immigration will test you after the 2-3rd visa extension. Showing them your books might be enough though.

- you have to spend 4 hours / week with Kru Nat (teacher Nat) who is the funniest and the sweetest person on earth, but sometime she sings which can be a very painful experience.

Contact me in private if you want to have the Wallen team Skype, and ask them questions.

We are starting back the book 1 at page 1 in one week or so, so maybe you can join us.

Hi - a couple of questions:

Why would the Walen visa be the "best Visa you can get in Thailand"? Why would it be any better than any other school 1 year ED visa?

And you must mean "the best ED visa", not the best visa, right?

Is it their efficiency in doing the visa paperwork that makes them so good, or what?

Your statement is very intriguing.

And have you tried other schools that were not as good and what was the problem?

Since this thread is about "negatives", what if you want to travel in (or out?) of Thailand several times a year?

Maybe a week or a few weeks.

You will miss classes. Do the schools allow you to make them up?

Thanks

Why would the Walen visa be the "best Visa you can get in Thailand"? Why would it be any better than any other school 1 year ED visa?

I don't know, who said that? The only thing I know is that I am very satisfied by this school, and when you go to the emigration you have premium treatment (not wait, go strait in front of the line). Other Farang looks at you like <deleted>! Lol, I never waited even when the office was full and people waiting outside.

My meaning is that ED visa is the best, not Wallen. ED is good because it gives you opportunity to meet people, learn Thai and you do not have to go out from Thailand all the time. I haven't tested other schools.

Since this thread is about "negatives", what if you want to travel in (or out?) of Thailand several times a year?

You need to fill a paper with the emigration everytime you want to go out. And that's it.

You will miss classes. Do the schools allow you to make them up?

Well they do not allow you to do it too offen, but I had to do it several time and they didn't complain. Now if you never come to the class, this will upset them. If you do not want to learn Thai, choose another Visa, they are here to teach you Thai, if you spit on Thai they will probably cancel your Visa or do not do you paperwork. It is the same in every school in the world.

But as I said, K. Arthur went back in UK this Christmas for 2 weeks and it was ok. They understand that we have a family.

The cost per year is almost 35,000 Baht inclusive of immigration reports....3000 baht a month or $100/seventy pounds....that certainly is a very negative aspect especially if someone is on a budget or pension....
$100 a month, are you joking? You get 16 hours of Thai lessons. I think it is pretty good price. Other visa give you nothing. In Thailand you cannot have 0 knowledge of Thai. Driving from Pattaya to Laos is about 10 hours drive out and 10 hours drive in. Most boring experience ever, doing that every 3 months is a PITA. If the driver is bad (most drivers are bad in Thailand) you get sick or incomfortable for 10 hours, you have risk of accident on the busy Thai hi-way etc... I am better laying down on the pool.

I have an ED visa with Wallen and I think it is the best Visa you can get in Thailand.

- I work from Skype for my lessons (2h on Wednesday, 2 hours on Friday), so basically you can learn anywhere as soon as you have a good internet connection

- I do not have the go out from Thailand for 14 months or so.

- costs 25.000 / year plus 1900 every quarter. (how much you will pay every 2 months to go to the border and come back?)

- you learn Thai.

The only problems are:

- you need to be close to a School, because they do you immigration papers. I am in Pattaya, but could be in Chiang May or BK with Wallen.

- you have to attend to the lessons because the immigration will test you after the 2-3rd visa extension. Showing them your books might be enough though.

- you have to spend 4 hours / week with Kru Nat (teacher Nat) who is the funniest and the sweetest person on earth, but sometime she sings which can be a very painful experience.

Contact me in private if you want to have the Wallen team Skype, and ask them questions.

We are starting back the book 1 at page 1 in one week or so, so maybe you can join us.

Thank you for a kind post. Just a little note, it is Walen not Wallen. :jap:

Walen School - teaching online

www.thaiwalen.com

http://dcs.walenschool.com/form_prospect.aspx?code=1walenmd&l=eng

Edited by macwalen

We have a few thousand students learning Thai and also English at our schools and we have been helping then with ED visas. We did not see any students having problems holding ED visas. In any case Walen takes good care of our students so if you have something you need to know about an ED visa just contact us.

Walen School - most reliable ED visa support

www.thaiwalen.com

Please register

http://dcs.walenscho...=1walenmd&l=eng

Edited by macwalen

As I commented in Post #18 above about the only negative aspect of an ED Visa is that it is a temporary solution for those looking to stay long-term in Thailand. The ad running this moment for one of the aforementioned schools refers to an 'Unlimited Stay in Thailand' while the FAQ on their website says that you can study Thai at their school for 3 years and English for 2 years ... for someone with e.g. young children to rear that leaves quite a number of years in limbo.

We have a few thousand students learning Thai and also English at our schools and we have been helping then with ED visas. We did not see any students having problems holding ED visas. In any case Walen takes good care of our students so if you have something you need to know about an ED visa just contact us.

Walen School - most reliable ED visa support

www.thaiwalen.com

Please register

http://dcs.walenscho...=1walenmd&l=eng

Oups, sooo sorry, Walen, Walen, I will write it 100 times.

Lol.

Yes I did these lessons on Skype and we are now 5 student in this virtual classroom. Kru Nat is an amazing teacher, but I am sure others are good too. The other students are very nice and funny, we learn hard but without the pain... I will continue, do again the book 1 (I am a bad student with a small brain :( ) and for the 3rd year will try the exam for the book 2... I do not speak fluent Thai yet, but I can deal with numbers, can understand some small things and speak some basic sentences. I can build a sentence from scratch - most farang just use pre-made sentence where they do not know where is the subject, verb, how to speak in the future etc... I can almost spell most words. I think it is a good result for 10 months only in Thailand. It took me years to learn English at school.

For the negative part, because it is the subject. You are studying. That mean some homework and some efforts to speak, understand and learn. Not everyone are motivated enough.

About the unlimited stay with ED visa, I am not sure it is what anyone want, when you speak Thai, and you are old enough, a retirement visa is better. But for several years, you end up speaking Thai, and have a no-braining visa. I agree that for the administrative part, Walen has been very efficient for the visa so far. The only problem is to not forget to go to the emigration every 3 months!

Edited by nikkoid66

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Do you know where it is possible to get the cheapest ED visa in Pattaya or Bkk?

I don't mind the class or anything else, i just need the visa, and if i don't have to attend it's even better.

For now I have seen 25000 thb for 1 year visa at Wallen with class 1 day a week, but not sure they really expect me to go ? Any experience ?

Thanks.

It requires you to study for at least 4 hours a week, but it doesn't have to be Thai language. negative side is basically that you have to extend every 90 days at immigration for 1,900 baht. Normally only a study at an University would give you 1 year.

If you have at least 100,000 baht in an account you can get a multiple non-O in Kuala Lumpur.

Do you really have to "extend" every 90 days and pay the 1,900? I guess it is better than having to do border runs. But I thought the 90 extension was done just once initially?

"This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for 1 year subject to one extension within the first 90 days. 90 "